BC Boards

Neutering-swelling after

blackeyesue

We got Billy fixed on Friday. Had him pretty much in his crate since-except for going outside. Our front yard is fenced in so he hasn't had too much activity. He has some swelling, which I know is normal. But since he's been so inactive I guess I'm suprised. What I'm wondering is for those with male dogs, what has been your experience with this? How long has the swelling lasted? How long did you keep your dogs settled for? etc Plus he keeps wanting to lick it so I'm going to call the vet tomorrow for an e-collar unless the swelling is better by then. He has been going up and down the steps because that's where our bedroom is. Thanks for the comments...

You may want to try putting a t-shirt on him to keep him from licking until you can get the e-collar. The vet may have pulled stitches too tight or the steps may be just the wrong amount of stretch for him. Regardless, the swelling has made him uncomfortable. Some dogs will let you apply ice. You may want to try it.

I've never had to keep one quiet for more than a week.

You don't say how old Billy is. I think a certain amount of swelling is normal, and with older dogs it can be quite pronounced. I had an adult foster whose swelling was so much that I questioned whether the vet had done a vasectomy or a castration. :rolleyes:

In lieu of an -e-collar, you could roll up a towel or 2 so that it's bulky enough that he can't turn his head the whole way back. You've be imitating the effect of a Kong Collar http://www.boobooloon.com/

Or you can make a temporary e-collar by cutting the bottom out of a plastic bucket and cutting up the side, then taping it. Or use cardboard. There are several sites online that show you how. Here's one: http://dogcare.dailypuppy.com/make-elizabethan-collar-dogs-3504.html

He's just 5 months. The swelling isn't that bad. But it's enough for me to worry about. I've seen those Kong collars at the pet store. I'm thinking that's what I"ll get tomorrow. He will let me put a cold compress on it for about 10 seconds. I did notice a litte blood earlier but none since. And I'm sure it's more swollen now that he's been moving about a little today. Doesn't seem to slow him down much. No trouble laying down or sitting. And with the snow today, he loves that. If we tell him to stop or leave it, he does. Just have to wait it out. That's what crates are for...and kongs

You put the t-shirt over his head and put his front legs through the arm holes, then use a tie of some sort to gather extra material just behind his tail. It doesn't so much cover that area as get in the way of licking that area, and some dogs figure out how to get around it, so it isn't a long term solution.