BC Boards

Embarassed

Took Brick and the kids to the park today. Brick is very social and I want it to stay that way, so I introduced him to another dog at the park with the owner's permission. Miniature pinscher, I think. He did some friendly sniffing and after a moment she'd had enough and snipped at him. He backed off politely and made it clear he would give her his space. Brick walked up to her owner and lifted a leg, dribbling on the man's sock. I stopped him the moment I realized what he was after, but it was a fraction of a second too late. I was so embarrassed. I apologized profusely, but other than that, really had no idea what else to do.

I plan to do some forum searching for topics on neutering as brick is still whole and I'm sure it had to do with a female scent on the man, etc. But...yeah.

Anyone else been petrified by their dog's behavior? I did my best to look at it logically and not "blame Brick", but I was definitely still embarrassed.

One time while walking into petco, before we knew about Lyka's grain allergy and she would get random boughts of diarrhea, she stopped in the entry way to the store and got bad diarrhea! It was a huge mess, but thankfully the store had a hose and were able to clean it up before anyone stepped in it. I was mortified, because at the time I had no idea what had set her off.

My dog is often the one doing the snipping, exactly as you have described. I have to move away from other dogs when I see them, because she likes her 'space' when dogs approach from the front and sniff. It is mortifying.

Rest assured that at least her owner probably had his own share of embarrassment before your dog started!

When Torque was a pup (4-5 months old?), his puppy class instructor was playing with him and he flipped over on his back (as he was wont to do when he was really happy and wanted a belly rub). She was positioned up near his head and he was so excited that he peed (a strong stream, not a dribble) and wet her shirt. I was mortified too, but then again, the instructor should have known better. ;)

Aed got his head peed on yesterday because he wouldn't stop licking another dog's penis. He went straight for it and wouldn't stop. :rolleyes: That was embarrassing. Sure, I know that it's technically normal, but not every other owner does, and it certainly doesn't help that he is so devoted to it.

I take agility lessons in an indoor gym. Of course, Kieran, who is perfectly potty trained, decided that the mat was a great place to take a dump when we looked away for a split second. At least it was the type that's easily picked up and we were the only ones at the lesson. Another dog decided to pee in the middle of a run when the room was full of people. And just on Sunday, at our outdoor lesson, one dog decided one of the wobble boards made a great toilet.

Haha! That crossed my mind! He was being really good about it too. Started at the tail end, etc. I praised Brick for his response when she snapped. I mean, a growl would have been sufficient lol. I was proud of him for not engaging. I almost wondered if I expressed too much energy when praising him and accidentally encouraged his marking?

I think Brick let that guy know just how he felt about this dog's rebuke! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dear Donald,

I appreciate you matter of factness. It's nice to be reminded to take things as they are!

Sincerely,

He'll Keep Them for Now

Dear Doggers,

Male dogs, castrated or no, lift their legs. Sun comes up in the east, sets in the west.

Donald McCaig

That's a good point. I hadn't really thought of it from his end. Probably because he made no apology for her snipping and was obviously not happy about being marked. LOL

My dog is often the one doing the snipping, exactly as you have described. I have to move away from other dogs when I see them, because she likes her 'space' when dogs approach from the front and sniff. It is mortifying.

Rest assured that at least her owner probably had his own share of embarrassment before your dog started!

Keeper gets peed on almost daily. Always in other dogs' business.

And then there was the time he peed on me. I was laying in the grass reading a book and Keeper was extremely interested in smelling underneath me. Then he promptly lifted his leg and peed a full, hard stream all over my arm and shirt. And of course I'm walking home covered in piss, cursing the dog when everyone wants to stop and talk about adorable and well behaved he is.

I often don't make the apology for snipping when it happens, because I'm too busy talking to the dog to get her calmed down (calmed down and reprimanded: 'what an idiot, there is no threat here, you dipshit!' ) while turning a vivid purple.

My apology when it happens consists of 'Oh god, uhm' and then babbling. I assume people know it's an apology.

It can happen quite quickly, usually she seems 'relaxed' and happy to sniff and then she has a sudden 'do not like this dog' moment. It's not a regular occurrence, I don't let her sniff dogs on-lead usually, but in a decade she's had time to build them up.

Kingfisher- at least he missed the book?

Edit: my point is people might be mortified and apologetic without necessarily apologising. I sometimes find it easier to cope with stuff like that if you consider the possibility that they are shy or socially incompetent or just taken aback rather than deliberately obnoxious.

And sometimes it is indeed correct. So if someone turns purple when you're next out for a walk, well, I might be incoherently babbling my apologies at your dog.

Love it. Good reminder to take into consideration all the facets.

I turned into the babbling idiot on this one. :)

I often don't make the apology for snipping when it happens, because I'm too busy talking to the dog to get her calmed down (calmed down and reprimanded: 'what an idiot, there is no threat here, you dipshit!' ) while turning a vivid purple.

My apology when it happens consists of 'Oh god, uhm' and then babbling. I assume people know it's an apology.

It can happen quite quickly, usually she seems 'relaxed' and happy to sniff and then she has a sudden 'do not like this dog' moment. It's not a regular occurrence, I don't let her sniff dogs on-lead usually, but in a decade she's had time to build them up.

Kingfisher- at least he missed the book?

Edit: my point is people might be mortified and apologetic without necessarily apologising. I sometimes find it easier to cope with stuff like that if you consider the possibility that they are shy or socially incompetent or just taken aback rather than deliberately obnoxious.

And sometimes it is indeed correct. So if someone turns purple when you're next out for a walk, well, I might be incoherently babbling my apologies at your dog.