BC Boards

Good Girl, Bliss

Pam Wolf

Went out this AM to find one ewe with twins dry and up and moving by her side. Noticed another ewe with a lamb's head out but nothing else. Fed the pigs (using the hot youngster) checked on the cows etc. At least all the stock is up by the house til the pasture greens a bit more. Finished up and went to check on the ewes. Put hot head up to check on ewes. Moved the twins on the ground to new pasture, and sure enough the lamb was still stuck decided to check her out. Mom was not going to help one bit!. Pulled out Bliss, got the ewe by herself and had Bliss hold her. Bliss was so gentle even when she had to nip the ewe's nose so I could finally catch her. About that time DH arrives to hold the ewe. No legs :P reach inside, a leg, start to pull it (the lam's head is more swollen than it should be-not good). bliss lies down to wait. Oops, a different head attached to that leg-hate that!

In I go again, fishing for the right leg and pushing the overly eager 2nd lamb back inside, grabbing the right leg and getting lamb one out. Ewe appears exhausted. Lie lamb #1 on the ground and Bliss comes over to clean the head. She is so gentle with the lamb, licking the face/head while I work on #2. Get #2 out, #1 is doing OK, but not great, so work on it while Bliss works on #2. Give #1 to momma meanwhile Bliss is making sure #2 is going well.

Give the lambs to the ewe and walk back to the house with Bliss.

The lamb with it's head stuck is doing OK, he was quite a bit slower than his sister. Both are doing fine. I pasture lamb but these are in a jug now. Looking good enough to go to the new pasture this after noon. Another set this AM. Will move both later today.

bliss took my two hair ewes and their twins to pasture yesterday. These are a bit older so moving them wasn't too hard. Hopefully there will be more lambs later today and we can move them over to the new pasture.

Maxie I rarely have to help the ewes. And if I don't catch the ones with twins while the lambs are very young-think 'wet' they are very difficult to catch at all. Unfortunately the ewe with trouble was a first time ewe. I think this week I will get little rest

Hi Pam, I think I have an idea of what you are going through as I too lamb my own stock outside and, similarly don't have to help many of them..but when I do, I'm glad I've got a dog who, like your Bliss, can catch and hold a troublesome ewe to me.

Mine aren't due start for another couple of weeks and I'm desperately praying for some warmer weather and grass growth so I can put the pregnant ewes in my smaller field (Note to self...I must rethink my end-of-year grazing strategy).

Currently. I'm just finishing doing a stint as the night-shift lamber for a large flock of mules - this farmer likes a much more hands-on approach than my own management, but it's useful to keep my hand-in (literally)...and it also helps pay some bills.

Here, we have had snow plus hail flurries this mornng..while yesterday, there were high winds over 60 mph, ..some weather joke for April fool's day...but right now I'm glad I've decidd to delay the start of lambing....while at the same time feeling slightly envious of those who are close to finishing.