BC Boards

Aandi,

Free running is always preferable because the dog will regulate itself. This is especially true for puppies. But if your vet has okayed Brick for high-impact repetitive exercise like jogging or biking, then I would (as others have already said) start slow and short and work up to longer distances and greater speeds.

FWIW, Brick may be telling you that he just doesn't enjoy jogging. That's not lazy; that just means it's not his thing. My mom had a retired racing greyhound who I thought would be a great jogging partner, built to run and all that. She HATED it and made that pretty clear. I didn't insist. It may be that Brick just would rather participate in some other form of exercise (or that hubby was making the jog uncomfortable for him somehow, either mentally or physically). But I just wanted to point out that not all dogs, just as with humans, find running a fun activity. I used to do it because it kept me fit, but I never truly enjoyed it. But at least I could make the conscious choice to run despite not really loving it. A dog usually isn't given that choice.

J.

Thanks, Julie. I don't know what, but I guess I never considered what Brick may or may not "like". I will be thoughtful of this moving forward. :)

Aandi,

Free running is always preferable because the dog will regulate itself. This is especially true for puppies. But if your vet has okayed Brick for high-impact repetitive exercise like jogging or biking, then I would (as others have already said) start slow and short and work up to longer distances and greater speeds.

FWIW, Brick may be telling you that he just doesn't enjoy jogging. That's not lazy; that just means it's not his thing. My mom had a retired racing greyhound who I thought would be a great jogging partner, built to run and all that. She HATED it and made that pretty clear. I didn't insist. It may be that Brick just would rather participate in some other form of exercise (or that hubby was making the jog uncomfortable for him somehow, either mentally or physically). But I just wanted to point out that not all dogs, just as with humans, find running a fun activity. I used to do it because it kept me fit, but I never truly enjoyed it. But at least I could make the conscious choice to run despite not really loving it. A dog usually isn't given that choice.

J.

Border collies can be very sensitive animals, my own dog would not listen to anyone who spoke to him in a harsh voice, he is extremely well behaved and responsive but raise your voice and he turns in to a slinky wreck. This is a dog who has never faced any abuse in his life, occassionaly an exasperated husband who gets cross when he does not respond due to said husbands cross tone. I would not call my self a strong leader, I provide secruity, guidance, protection and loads of love and that is what most dogs are looking for.

I have no idea how to get your husband and FIL onboard, I know I threatened death if my spouse raised his hand to my puppy!

My BC is the EXACT same way..I love how you explained it "slinky wreck" I always thought it was due to her abuse in her background..but it must be a breed trait. My girl is very, very sensitive to tone. I'm a soft person so I don't raise my voice but she does this even with men who just have a louder voice. Very interesting.

I love the idea of needing to "train" your people. I think people can get almost offended by a dog who doesn't listen or love on them naturally. It sounds like your husband and FIL have a bad taste in their mouths, but that may change if they are able to create a connection with Brick. Involve them in the training- maybe hire a trainer/take a class together? Or at least get them on your program with commands, protocols at home. And have them carry some extra yummy treats that only come from them. My dog is super food motivated, but a special treat when she is less inclined to participate seems to do the trick.

I love the Control Unleashed Puppy book. It has been a huge help with many issues. Jolene was a car chaser, but we have managed to redirect it to getting a treat when she points out a car that apparently would have been prey;) Also, as we've gotten "leave-it" down really well on small, nearby things, we're being able to use it for larger, far-off (ie- cars) things.

As far as jogging- my Jolene is just under 1 year and we've only done very short spurts of jogging once we've been out for a walk for a while. Puppies are definitely not ready, nor able, to go on runs. The first time I even tried a jogging pace with Jolene, she stopped so hard to sniff, that when I tried to get us going again I ran head on into a low-hanging pomegranate smack in the middle of my eyes. Lesson learned! Haha. We've resorted to games that get her running and active, but she can do at her own pace. She loves playing soccer, being chased around the yard, fetching, and playing at the dog park. Eventually I'd love to have her as a jogging/biking partner if she enjoys it. So far, if I give her her time to sniff all the smells and wander through the neighborhood, she may give me 10 or 15 minutes of a nice jogging pace by my side.

Jolene has gone through some very interesting changes in the last few months, starting around 9mo- during her teenager/fear period. She became frightened of things she wasn't before, barking became worse, she had a couple potty regressions. Sometimes I just can't wait until she's a more mellow 3 year old, but then I know I'll miss her puppy silliness, even though sometimes it makes me want to pull my hair out. I hope Brick is the same for your family- you'll look back and think about how worth it all of the frustration was, now that you have a loyal family member you love dearly

Brick is an adorable boy!! But he's still a big puppy. And puppies are crazy You're doing great.

Thanks for sharing, Sara. I enjoy hearing where other people have come from with their dogs. I'll definitely get my hands on that book. McConnell hasn't done me wrong yet.

Definitely looking forward to the future. Although, after just a short time of applying the things I've been learning on here, we are making significant progress. I finally feel like we've "bonded" and am really enjoying working with him.

We're actually dog sitting for a friend (at their house) and her dog is making Brick seem like an angel. It used to be the other way around. I think, though, it's coming down to my mindset. I'd never viewed her dog as "demanding", but holy smokes, is he ever. Trying to apply to him the same I have with Brick. :)