BC Boards

Sticky-Eyed

Oh how I love working with my BC in agility. She is everything I hoped for in a dog,.. when we are alone.

This dog is a rescue, and one that admittedly, not everyone would have been quick to take on. In agility, when she is good, she is great, but she has a problem with movement setting her off that borders on compulsive. I swear when she locks in on something there is virtually no reaching her. This is our big challenge. Put her in an environment with busy ring-sides and dogs playing frisbee out in the fields beyond, and her brain basically melts out her ears. She tries very hard to focus on the job but she is trying to watch the entire world AND the course simultaneously.

We have tried all the usual focus games, all her favorite toys, treats, and they do work- for very short periods of time. Then, I lose her; I don't exist unless I too am moving. Waiting at the gate sees the best part of her talent wasted. She no longer obsesses over windsheild wipers and ceiling fans, so she can be reached, at least on that level. I am commited to solving this problem as well.

Short of bopping her on the head with a wet noodle , I would welcome some advice from others who have

Thanks beforehand,

-Devi

I don't have any experience with this myself, but have you read "Bones would Rain from the Sky" by Susan Clothier? She goes into this a bit and talks about having to build a "connection" with the dog to help him control his movement obsession.

I believe I have your dog's twin. Mine does the

exact same things!! We are starting another (yes another one) obedience class next week. She is just GREAT when we are alone -- She just wants to be sure she knows what everyone else in the class is doing and also wants to make sure they are doing it the correct way in addition to paying attention to my requests.

Some Days I wish I had a bag of wet noodles..

I would also appreciate any advice.

You guys should go back and read all the advise about dogs acting aggressively during classes- not that yours are aggressive, but the "locking on" cure is similar. Basically the same answers, your dogs seem to have a little better impulse control so they are not barking/growling/going after other dogs, but they are still losing focus on their job (working with you). You have to find a way to make yourself more fun and interesting than the other activities going on. Part of this has to be done outside of class, building your relationship with limited distractions, and then escalating to a class/trial situation. You did not mention how old either dog is - but for most dogs, this focus comes with age, practice, and experience.

Hi Devi-

I have one who's very reactive around the ring too especially when another border collie or a fast aussie go. I've taught him to "watch me" which works pretty well - sometimes. For now, I'm hanging out as far away from the gate as I can until I'm on deck, no waiting around the in gate at all if I can help it. I either tell the gate steward where I am or have a friend hanging around the gate to tell me when it's my turn. I also make him lie down when I come up to the gate - sort of making lying down the default behavior when he gets all hyped up. It's ok if he watches but he needs to be lying down when he does. I just started trialing him this spring and he's getting better. I think a lot of it is just time, more experience for him and consistency on my part.

Thanks, but,.. Not really the problem I'm discussing at all, and I am 'smarter than the 'average bear' on the various types of aggression. I checked the archives- not much there, sadly. Maybe I've searched for the wrong keywords.

I'm not talking about the usual barking, lunging, eye-stalk-stare of a green agility BC. That is to be expected (and trained though as we are doing). I am talking about obsession that cannot be broken through. Nobody home. Leave a message.

My experience has been that to this dog NOTHING is more fun or rewarding than obsessing over moving objects. Its like a drug to her. I cannot offer her anything that compares. Not food, not toys, not distance from the action (she's got great distance vision), not anything but action of her own. I can give this to her but of course, this burns her out well before the start line. What we've been aiming for while we wait is to give her small doses of what she wants (obsessing) in exchange for increasing periods of what I want (practicing flatwork commands mostly). This will be a long road, I know,..

Once in the ring the real problems begin because she is, I suspect, only half-paying attention to the job. The other half is still obsessing over what's going on outside the ring, e.g the other BCs playing tug ringside, the Weimie out in the field chasing a plastic bag, a wayward frisbee passing on the far side of the moon. All of this siphons off her attention as she simultaneously speeds around (sometimes literally around) the agility course with a smile of ecstasy on her face. Addict, I tell you,..

Is this any clearer?

-Devi

Originally posted by laurie etc:

[QB] You guys should go back and read all the advise about dogs acting aggressively during classes- not that yours are aggressive, but the "locking on" cure is similar

My Agility instructor has a Bearded Collie that is like this. The dog has been diagnosed With Addison's Disease, which apparently causes this kind of behavior (at least according to our instructor).

I don't know much at all about Addisons--perhaps someone else can help or you could search the web.

Deanna in OR

Devi- My post was probably directed more towards SuzieQ, then. This list has just recently discussed quite a bit about adolescent dogs and how they react to other fast moving dogs, and how to work with that.

You still didn't mention how old your dog is, and how old she was when you rescued her. From your last post, I really think that some of the issue could be that her obsessive behavior was "programmed" before you got her, and that you are probably dealing with a behavior that is "hard wired" at this point. Kind of like taking a heroine addict, and saying "OK, be good, and if you are, I'll give you a little methadone to keep you happy." Problem is, she still lives on the street where the heroine pushers deal. It's too easy to "get her own fix", so why would she wait for yours? Does this sum it up?

I'm certainly not an expert on behavior like this, but I do know dogs that have been helped to work through this kind of thing with medication and behavior modification (from a veterinary behaviorist). Helped them "relax" enough to let the brain function in other ways, and stop obsessing. There are many "talented" dogs out there that don't cut the mustard in agility because of that same type of flaw - or those that are just obsessed with running full tilt, or obsessed with doing the obstacles wiith no thought to being careful or keeping bars up. I do think it's all related - and maybe it's an inability to control impulses or an inability to deal with the adrenyline rush they get from "just doing it". Whatever it is, you are right, it's hard to break through, and if you have been trying for a while with no success, maybe a vet behaviorist visit would be in order.

(Personally, I have a dog like this. Cash is probably as fast or faster than most agility dogs on the planet - and very talented! But after 2 years of working on startline stays, I have come to realize that he really has no control over what his body does at the start line. He can't help himself! We were both very frustrated. So my "fix" was to take him out of that situation. We moved away from the 'hood, so to speak. Cash doesn't get to do agility at this point. He tracks and herds sheep, where his impulses are much better controlled. Maybe this year we'll try some agility again - he's four.)