BC Boards

Hei all.

Am just wondering how old dose a dog need to be, to go with a light packed,, back-pack.

Max is 9 so no problem there.

Just dont know when I can start to put one on Lilly, Nothing in it of corse to start with.

Can any one give an idea ?

post-17307-0-28113600-1426259390_thumb.jpg

Yay the pic, worked. :lol:

Lyka got hers at 6 months by reccomendation of our trainer as a way for us to help channel her energy into something productive. It was a very light pack with just her poop bags and a collapsable water dish in it until 9 months when we added a couple water bottles.

Lyka is a little larger than the average border collie (just over 50lbs), as she is likely a mix, but we started her with a medium sized outdoor hound backpack with removable packs. (I liked the removable packs, because it gives me the option to take them off but leave the harness on if we take a break while hiking or in case of an emergency I could take the packs off without having to mess with the harness.)

Each brand and type of pack will fit a little differently, so if possible I would recommend you take your dog to the store and try a few different sizes of the pack you want (even if you plan to purchase the pack online). However if that is not possible there are a few charts online that will get you in the ballpark for what you need. I can help you find some of you need them.

Thanks

juliepoudrier ya max is not so happy with Lilly. He is old and use to being the only dog.lol

OK what happen to the letters on this post ???

Am thinking the Ruffwear pack. It looks like the best fit...But I don`t want to buy one that will only fit for a few months..As there expence here .

On a side note,,,, was to the vet yesterday and Lilly is now 10.5 KG.

They get dry food 24/7 and can food once a day.

she still looks and feels thin to me, but vet said she is good.

I`ll add max is half breed, BC and is thicker than a BC, around the chest. he is half Buhund.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/norwegianbuhund.htm

He was never so thin as Lilly at this age, that I can remember.

She is all legs and long body, almost as tall as Max.

Her farther and mother are both working sheep dogs on a farm. LOL his male went to the next farm, opened two doors to get to the female...They where not happy. Why I dont get pappers on her.

The funnyèst is her farther is 13 years old. Go old man go. lmao

I have the Ruffwear Approach Pack. Love it. Neither dog had a problem with it when I put it on them (i.e. there was no training needed to get them used to the pack.). It was very interesting to observe that they became more serious when wearing the pack for a hike. I guess they felt like they had a 'job'.

Once you start adding weight, make sure that it is balanced. When I hike with 2 water bottles, I try to drink a bit out of each bottle in order to keep the water level fairly equal between bottles.

gcv-border Ya I spend sa much time as I can in the montains as its the only place we can go off leach. Snow and cold only problem here.

As I use the pack with max I know what you mean..he really lights up..And to pack it balanced I learded the hard way..LOL Poor Max.

I just don`t want to buy one that will not hold to her out her life... So I jess should wait entel she stops growing to buy one ???

or get a cheep one to start out ?

How old is your pup? They grow so fast that if you can wait a few months (or until they are about 9-12 months old), I think you will be able to get the correct adult size since your dog will be 80-90% grown. Then just use it empty or lightly loaded until they are even closer to their final adult size.

Do you know anyone with a used pack that you can borrow for a few months?

Getting a dog used to a pack is the only reason I would want to start a pup early, and since both of my older dogs were immediately fine with wearing the (empty) pack, I am going forward with the assumption that the same will be true for my new pup. I am not going to worry about getting him used to the pack. I will just put it on him (empty pack) under the assumption that he will be fine too. He may make a liar out of me. :) Until then, he is free to run around unencumbered.

Lilly was bord the 11-4-14 or nov, 4th 2014

She dose not like the coller going on or off, but will sit for it...Why I think i need to start training for the pack. As I do all day trips. But have not so far as she is young and weather has alot to say.

But when she is old enough we will be out as much a we can, sun rise to dusk.

As I cant work, got a bad arm.neck.

I haven't "packed" with a dog in quite awhile, so no advice there.

But I must say....putting water in a dog's pack just seems like a bad idea. The slosh has to throw them off balance with every step. I suppose if you're walking on a relatively flat trail with no rocks, logs, etc., it might be OK. But if they needed to jump even a small step, I can't imagine what water would do to their balance.

I used to try and put light-weight bulky things in my dog's pack - everything in waterproof plastic, of course - but things like sox, flannel shirt, etc.

JMHO,

diane

You are lucky! I live in the desert, and actually had to buy a larger daypack for myself, so I could carry MORE water for the two dogs I hike with.

One other note....I don't know the area you hike in. But I did pack (with a Norwegian Elkhound!) in mountains where there were bears. They weren't habituated to humans, but the idea of the dog having FOOD on his back was just too scary.

Off topic: I just saw a film with the Banff Film Festival tour about surfing in Norway. Yes, in that cold water, tromping through snow to get to the water, big boulders on shore.....made me chilly just watching! ;-)

diane

That must of been way up north...No bear`s or wolf`s here any more. South.

Love the Elkhund. Good hunting, family dog.

Hm, think I would die if I was in the desert. ^_^

LOL ya, your not getting me to surf in winter or summer... The sea is always to cold for me.

But then Norwegian`s do some crazy thing`s, lol got to find thing`s to do in theses long winter`s.

I'd strongly recommend it; very beautiful -- breathtakingly beautiful. At least on the 4-5 days a year when the weather actually permits you to enjoy it!

Lmao so true... Will just have to time it right, and hope for the best.

Am going to wait afew months befor I get a pack for Lilly.

Thank you everyone for the info, really helped.