BC Boards

Is there a real difference?

Pam Wolf

Actually (and without the sarcasm), that is exactly what happens when you try to educate people who only have experience with dogs as pets (or show/sport animals). You will notice there is no frame of reference at all.

And why despair? I never understood why we should be depended on the opinion of people who don´t work their dogs. If the working dog world cannot "hold up its own trousers" as we say in the Netherlands, the working dog will disappear. Simple as that.

Show pet or sport dog people have nothing to do with that.

Of course we don't, unless we go out and learn first hand.

I meet up with a friend at agility shows who started out with obedience then moved on to agility. Last year she fostered then adopted a terrified failed sheepdog and decided that it may help him to learn to work sheep together. She loves it and he has improved so much in many ways. We have long and interesting discussions during which I am learning something but certainly not enough to press my opinions on anyone else about the working ability of a dog.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On some level discussing breeding, training, and using livestock dogs with pet owners would be like discussing choosing and flying (or riding) in a plane for acrobatics with frequent passengers on jet liners. You can explain it to them but they are not likely to really get it until they experience it for themselves.