BC Boards

Crufts Border Collie Inbreeding

gcv-border

They DO look like little plush toys. Show dogs look disconcerting to me at any time.

Since I'm non-mathematical, though, I wish that along with the 13%-25% inbreeding discussion I could see the pedigrees in question. It would make more sense to me if I could see that the dog had the same two dogs 6 times in 2 generations, or whatever. I don't know what the percentages actually look like, and I know that when one gets far enough back in the old working lines, there's a lot of the same names popping up.

~ Gloria

• 3 weeks later...

Wait, people have actually been kicked off the boards? Wow, I bet that takes talent and perserverance.

Pam Wolf, I so agree. I plan to marry my brother so I can find out what genetic defects I am carrying. I'm only aware of a few of them but in order to flush out the rest. . . B)

I did a comparison of sorts between supreme champions' inbreeding and Cruft best of breed winners over ten years because on the Polish forum someone had said that both (working and show) inbreed a lot, just for different reasons.

Best of Breed at Cruft's 2014-2001

13%

20%
19%
9%
13%
13%
14%
14%
26%
9%
0%
7%
16%
18%

Supreme International Champion - 2014-2001.

8%

7%
6%
8%
9%
8%
7%
7%
11%
14%
16%
10%
6%
8%

Yes, both are inbred quite a bit. And it is not unheard of for a hill bitch's pups to look more like a neighbor's dog than the 'intended' or so I've heard, so could be more could be less.

while many are concentrating on inbreeding, IMO it is like looking at the forest instead of the trees. Many are ignoring the health concerns we now have in the breed. It is becoming apparent that EOD is far more widespread than some would think. It is difficult to produce sound healthy working dogs.

Inbreeding/line breeding has likely increased the incidence of EOD (number of affected dogs and therefore number of carriers) in our breed. Incidence rates of genetic diseases (breed health) and genetic diversity are interdependent. Genetic diversity/breed health is the forest while EOD is one tree.

The problem with focusing just upon diseases recognized in a breed (typically this is the focus when breeding for improving health) and ignoring overall genetic diversity is that this can/will lead to the increase of incidence rates of not yet recognized genetic diseases. By focusing upon genetic diversity one will minimize the risk of breeding two dogs that carry the same genetic mutations, reducing the likelihood or producing affected or carriers.

Years ago, I had an aquaintance who owned several dobermans and bred them regularly. Yes, bred the few dobermans to each other. Brothers and sisters. She swore that, although inbreeding in humans could be a problem, inbreeding in dogs was a positive thing because you could maintain all those great traits.

Yeah.

Have to say it was an interesting area in which to live. Every bit of the spectrum of intelligence, aptitude, and responsibility.

However, Mark, if a disease already had a very high carrier rate, not knowing knowing the health risks will matter little as many will do 'outcrosses' and still get a fair number of affected. such is currently the case with EOD. People need to simply breed smarter with as much information on the ancestry as possible.

Donald,

EOD is Early Onset Deafness. It's become a target of recent research as it appears researchers may be getting close to a genetic test for it in the working Border Collie.

Amy

In my mind breeding smarter is breeding to maintain genetic diversity and avoiding known inherited diseases (which will come with genetic diversity); not simply breeding to avoid known inherited diseases.

This article is a good review of combating inherited diseases in dogs. Everyone should read it. The section on the limitations of DNA disease tests is relavant for this discussion.

http://www.cgejournal.org/content/2/1/3