BC Boards

Age for introducing full height jumps

Hiya

Just wondering when everyone starts their young dogs at their competition jump height? I realise this is a debatable question, but I'm purely asking out of curiosity and questioning my own usual standards and interested in when others do and why. My 15month old medium BC started basic jumping at 12months. Prior to this he had done jump bumps to learn about striding, also lots of conditioning work through balance disks, wobble boards, paw pods etc. I have been using Susan Salo foundation grid work for all his jump foundations and he has been progressing really well. His jump technique has been really good - nice bascule, even hindquarters takeoff, quick to lift his shoulders, even front legs and head down driving to toy. He is jumped 1-2 x a week, with the jumps still small dog height for about a maximum of 30mins (only a few mins at a time, then rest breaks of approx 5mins at a time and interspersed with play periods). So realistically prob 10-15mins of actual jumping.

Tonight when I watched back over videos of him jumping through grids (taken today), he seemed to be flattening more than usual. I'm sure there could be many reasons for this, but wondering whether the small jumps are now too easy for him and no longer doing his technique any favours. With my other dogs I have not jumped them competition height until about 17months, with their first comp at anywhere between 18-20months of age.

What do you all do, and how much jump training do you do each week?

Our last collie probably did less than 45 mins jumping in a week spread over one class, one personal session and a bit of work in the garden. His competition height is 26in and he is around 23in at the withers. He moved up to full height very quickly because lower were doing him no favours and it was still a struggle to stop him over jumping and to get him to collect. He's now 9 and still competing at top level.

My youngster is much smaller and I have no set timetable. He's only 8 months and I've no idea what he will need and when.