BC Boards

New to the forum - AND a new puppy!

I lost my aussie/bc mix last year and a few years before that had a horrible loss of my acd/bc/aussie mix. So this past month I finally decided I was ready to add a puppy to the family! I found a farmer with some working dogs and a littler of mixed pups for sale and although I intended to go get a b/w male, I came home with a tricolor female!

Here is Miss Finley Grace, a bc/acd mix. They said she is about 15 weeks old currently, weighing in at about 8 1/2 lbs.

Also in the photos is my white American Bulldog mix, Nova, who is 100% deaf but an awesome family dog and the brindle pit mix I'm just dog sitting for a couple months until his owners find a dog friendly house.

bopLIKU.png

post-13573-0-92013300-1425573372_thumb.jpg

She definitely holds her own. She isn't intimidated by the bigger dogs but doesn't really push her luck either. And she loves playing fetch already which is great. She's been good with the kids, potty training is going terrific, and she listens really well. So glad to have a "smart" breed again!

I can't really say my other dog is dumb, she did a great job learning all her hand signals and unless people are told they never realize she's deaf (even off leash). But there's nothing quite like a BC (or mix) when it comes to training at least IMO.

Please go easy on the playing fetch at this age. A lot of high impact or repetitive movement is not good for young joints (many people wait until 15 months or so by which time the growth plates should be closed). The activity she chooses (running and jumping and playing) is okay but it's not recommended to encourage too much repetitive activity (long walks, ball or Frisbee play, jumping, etc.).

Rolling a ball, especially on forgiving surfaces (not slick surfaces like hardwood, vinyl, tile, etc.) and surfaces with good traction, within limits, is fine but just don't overdo it. These guys will keep it up as long as you will, and more, but you are hopefully setting good limits considering her age.

Please go easy on the playing fetch at this age. A lot of high impact or repetitive movement is not good for young joints (many people wait until 15 months or so by which time the growth plates should be closed). The activity she chooses (running and jumping and playing) is okay but it's not recommended to encourage too much repetitive activity (long walks, ball or Frisbee play, jumping, etc.).

Rolling a ball, especially on forgiving surfaces (not slick surfaces like hardwood, vinyl, tile, etc.) and surfaces with good traction, within limits, is fine but just don't overdo it. These guys will keep it up as long as you will, and more, but you are hopefully setting good limits considering her age.

This is exactly what we're doing now. Low impact, low distance, nothing too fancy. She just enjoys getting to chase it and bring it back. :)