BC Boards

Prozac -Benefits - Side Affects

GentleLake and rushdoggie,

Thank you for your comments and your sharing. Rushdoggie I can't imagine having to go through all of that. I am glad that medication is helpful for you and for Jade. Life is too short for all of us to be so totally uncomfortable in our own skin.

It was a long year and a few months trying to figure out what Jade needed. In the beginning we were hopeful that because of her past this is what was causing the behaviors but as time went on it became very apparent that there was much more going on with her. The only reason we agreed to the pills is that we were hoping it would calm her enough to help her focus and be able to have a real day to day life. Still a ways to go there but so much further down the road than we were after a year. In 2 months we have made huge progress. To me that is worth the medication for her.

• 2 months later...

Probably my last update on this post. Jade has been on Prozac for about 3 1/2 months. It is the best decision we ever made for her. She has a long way to go yet. Fear is still too much a part of her life but the Prozac has given her enough relief that she can now come up to strangers, sniff, and decide whether to stay or leave instead of cowering and crawling away from people. She still jumps at sudden loud noises and fast movement can cause her to cower but the change in her is appreciably noticeable for the better.

I will continue to look for alternative ways to help her but I am glad that I was able to help her with the decision to use medication. I do not believe that she would be making the progress without it...no actually I know that she would not be making that kind of progress.

Thank you all for your feedback and thoughts.

Teri

PS I have adopted Jade so she is no longer a foster. :)