BC Boards

Planning on adopting a rescue puppy this week any good suggestions?

Thank you we are so happy to have made the decision. Our Effie is extremely happy I don't think I've ever seen her this happy before! Yes I just hope the last double merle can find a home. :( Poor gal! I heard they can be trained somewhat through smell...I just hope she isn't deaf. The completely blind one was very heart breaking...she seemed very disoriented I think she may have had hearing problems too.

So strange I really think this was meant to be. Just by chance the owner was an hour away and on the street adjacent to our family lake house! Small world! Completely unplanned!

The deaf puppy I fostered was fully deaf, but very easily trained (by hand signals!) so I wouldn't worry too much about the other disabled puppies - they manage just fine with their other senses with some patience. :) You should look up Amazing Aussies and see for yourself how well a deaf, blind, or deaf/blind puppy/dog can do with the right people.

Your pup is precious! If he's red, then I'm guessing the lighter ones are dilute red, or what they call lilac.

It's too bad the litter did end up being double merle

Hate to be nit picky, but the litter isn't double, merle, but 2 of the puppies are. It's an important distinction. ;)

The deaf puppy I fostered was fully deaf, but very easily trained (by hand signals!) so I wouldn't worry too much about the other disabled puppies - they manage just fine with their other senses with some patience.

Just deaf isn't terribly hard, but completely deaf and completely blind is quite a challenge. I give those folks a lot of credit for taking it on. I hope she ends up at least having some hearing.

And you're right; very good chance Loki's either all border collie or a border collie/Aussi mix. . . . and very cute!

You should look up Amazing Aussies and see for yourself how well a deaf, blind, or deaf/blind puppy/dog can do with the right people.

Our rescue often works together with Amazing Aussies and I have seen how they work with dogs that are both deaf and blind. I am amazed (sic) how these dogs cope -- of course, they are born that way and simply adapt to their disability without even understanding what they are missing. Despite the lack of sight and hearing, I see happy, well adjusted dogs -- all credit to the handlers, of course, but the dogs are able to lead a full and happy life.

Wow what an amazing group I wish they had one in Texas dedicated to this cause! It's amazing how the deaf dogs learn sign language so well. In our first obedience class our trainer had a deaf dachshund that could do almost every trick you could think of! :) I bet they are amazing companions...we considered getting the other double merle that had some vision but we have stairs and she was a female so we weren't sure how Effie would react or the puppy.

For some reason our Effie gets VERY jealous of other female animals and acts out by peeing on places like the couch we found out last year.

The deaf puppy I fostered was fully deaf, but very easily trained (by hand signals!) so I wouldn't worry too much about the other disabled puppies - they manage just fine with their other senses with some patience. :) You should look up Amazing Aussies and see for yourself how well a deaf, blind, or deaf/blind puppy/dog can do with the right people.

Your pup is precious! If he's red, then I'm guessing the lighter ones are dilute red, or what they call lilac.

Hate to be nit picky, but the litter isn't double, merle, but 2 of the puppies are. It's an important distinction. ;)

Just deaf isn't terribly hard, but completely deaf and completely blind is quite a challenge. I give those folks a lot of credit for taking it on. I hope she ends up at least having some hearing.

And you're right; very good chance Loki's either all border collie or a border collie/Aussi mix. . . . and very cute!

Today when we saw the females it appeared they had gotten a lot darker. They are red merle tricolors! Very beautiful puppies I'm sure they will find good homes very fast. :)

Sorry didn't mean to call them all double merles if I said so earlier. I meant that two looked like doubles for sure and we were worried that Loki at first was also a double merle. We saw a deaf dog at the dog park that looked a lot like Loki marking wise.

Yes they have a big heart. They said they tried calling the pound at first and they were going to euthanize the mom so they decided to keep her. Then out came puppies!

Thank you we are in love! We were happy to get a mutt we were not expecting a full border collie or aussie/border mix. Can't wait till we can start training him in a few weeks. He already knows to go to our door to go potty a smart boy!

It is great that everything is working out! Have fun with your adorable pup.

Thank you! He is the best Valentines gift I have ever gotten! :) I'm just so happy our border collie has a friend that she can play with (herding style).

Thank you! :)

Its really scary how this one worked out! I wasn't even looking! My dream dog has always been a red merle aussie or border collie. I never expected to get one as a rescue...almost like something heard me. :P

Siamese cats are the best! They have really unique personalities!

Congratulations! He's beautiful! Don't you love when things just fall into place like that?

I say with the unexpected Craigslist "I GOTTA SAVE HIM!!!" siamese cat on my lap. :rolleyes:

Huge congratulations, your puppy is really beautiful and so are his littermates from what I can see. And I wish all the best to the people who rescued her mum and let her have her babies like it's supposed to happen, not somewhere in a dog pound in god knows what conditions.

I know how you feel about these miracles that happen when we suddenly get our dream dogs.. That's how I got my dream border collie, from a rescue, after we've already decided to get a puppy, chose a breeder, etc :) I didn't regret it, she's a perfect dog and a perfect border collie, especially for a first time bc owner and trainer. She's already thaught me so much. So, congrats once again, hope you share a beautiful life with Loki (love the name, btw, can you tell I love norse mythology :wub: )