BC Boards

Raw feeding

borasaurus

It's probably a cultural thing. I have never seen heart, kidney or tongue dishes at a restaurant in my area. I only know one person who eats deer heart, he makes some stew dish with it. Most people don't like liver either that I know. I don't really eat meat so my opinion doesn't mean much. Since I was a kid I found everything but skinless boneless chicken kind of gross. :)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My terrier *loves* fruits and vegetables of all kinds. I can even train him with pieces of celery, carrot, or stems from kale. Unless it is something not good for dogs (like onion or peppers) I give him some of whatever raw fruit or vegetable I am eating. The other dogs, who always looked at me as if I were crazy if I offered them anything plant-like, now want some too because Digger has made it look good to them. At first they spit it out, whereupon Digger would dive in and eat it, but now they are all eating celery and apple and kale stems. It's pretty funny. They don't get a whole lot, but I figure what they do get is a good supplement to their diet. I would like to feed partially raw, but the border collies have problems with raw foods, and I can't feed the dogs differently, so it won't work for me at this point.

That's too funny! I should try kale on Kieran. He'd probably like it. Most things he likes right away, but some things are acquired tastes for him, which is hilarious to me. He'll try stuff and not like it, but then he'll eventually learn to like it. The only thing he flat out hated was venison kibble. He makes celery sound so good when he crunches it.

I'm intrigued by the idea of smaller poops that fade away. Right now he poops a lot and it would be nice not to have to pick so many up. On home made, he poops less than on kibble, but it's still a couple pieces twice a day. And they look a bit strange.

Any thoughts on this sort of food? They bill it as a good alternative for raw feeders who forgot to defrost their meat.

http://purepetfood.co.uk I'm not sure if it counts as "raw" or not.

Their food is dehydrated. They say, "We lightly heat our meats just enough to remove any harmful pathogens" and they "flash cook" potatoes.

Heating to the point that pathogens are killed and cooking the potatoes means it's no longer raw. They kill a lot of other good stuff that's heat sensitive in the process, too.

Beef tongue is delicious if cooked right. Once you slice it up it doesn't look like a tongue any more, if you are squeamish about that. I was raised eating everything that could be eaten from a cow or a pig or chicken, so it's all good to me. And if anyone is throwing away venison liver I sure wish they'd throw it at me! I could practically live on that stuff, it's so good.

Pig's feet are delicious, although there's not much meat ob them. They really add richness to a stock or soup.

I had pig feet for the first time at my Chinese friend's house. Totally yum, but so hard to eat! Reminded me of pomegranate seeds: you do so much work for very little, but it's somehow worth it.

When I was married and my ex got a deer, the first thing we did was fry up the fresh heart in butter and Lea & Perrins (had to be Lea & Perrins) Worcestershire sauce. OMG was that delicious! My mouth's watering just thinking about it.

Can't say I've had deer, but Lea & Perrins is the best. I love the way the bottles come with the paper wrapping, too. It really makes steak taste so fantastic. Crack in a bottle.

Can't say I've had deer

Deer is the best. So much of it is both edible and tasty. Make hunter friends, get onboard with some venison patties and deer jerky. Better than almost any cut of beef or other meat I've ever tasted. You haven't lived until you've eaten deer.

And now I really want deer jerky.

Deer is the best. So much of it is both edible and tasty. Make hunter friends, get onboard with some venison patties and deer jerky. Better than almost any cut of beef or other meat I've ever tasted. You haven't lived until you've eaten deer.

And now I really want deer jerky.

Not because I never wanted to! I'd love to try it, but I'm not sure how I can make hunting friends in the middle of a SoCal suburb haha.

My favorite bird to eat is duck. I hardly get it though because I don't think my family really likes it all too much.

Anyone ever try snake or alligator? I heard snake is like chicken. There was this shop in San Diego that sold all kinds of jerkies and alligator was one of them. Very intriguing!

Not because I never wanted to! I'd love to try it, but I'm not sure how I can make hunting friends in the middle of a SoCal suburb haha.

My favorite bird to eat is duck. I hardly get it though because I don't think my family really likes it all too much.

Anyone ever try snake or alligator? I heard snake is like chicken. There was this shop in San Diego that sold all kinds of jerkies and alligator was one of them. Very intriguing!

SoCal is home to so many military and former military.. I'm unsure as to the hunting seasons and permits in your state, but I wouldn't guess for a moment that there isn't a hunter friend closer than you may think.

Duck so good. Best part of having dated a Chinese girl was going out to eat.

Alligator very common here in FL. Has an 'odd'(?) taste, but like most meat, receives a comparison to chicken. Worth a try for sure, just to say you've done it if nothing else. (I didn't find the exotic price to match the flavor, albeit many in these parts swear by it. YMMV)

Alligator has to be cooked just exactly right or it is dry and chewy, not to my liking. Snake does taste sort of chickenish, but has a tender flakiness like good fish. It was "to die for" when I had it cooked over and open fire by a Vietnamese chef. The best deer I've ever had was a grilled tenderloin, cooked by a cop friend that would literally stop in the middle of the road to pick up fresh roadkill to take home and cook. Most of the time, I was afraid to try anything he cooked. Talk about "human grade."

I haven't had rabbit since I was served it, unbeknownst, at a navy base in Orlando(not there any longer). They had quite an overpopulation of them and I guess it tickled their fancy to feed them to unsuspecting high schoolers.

Yea, Chinese duck is soooooo good. Especially with that sauce...I think it's hoisin? We have a lot of Asians here, so that means a lot of places selling duck, but I never get my fix!

That's a pretty clever way to deal with rabbit overbreeding. We had a ton running around when I was doing undergrad. They were all so sad looking though and starved. I tried to feed them carrots, lol, but they would run off.

Dogs evolved eating what food was leftover from human meals. They can digest grains, tubers, fruits and veges. Like humans, they extract a lot more nutritional value if they are cooked. Check out these articles.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/10/121026-human-cooking-evolution-raw-food-health-science/

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1999/08/990810064914.htm

It's true that dogs have evolved some mutations that allow them to digest carbohydrates more efficiently than their wild counterparts, but their physiology still places them firmly in the ranks of carnivores rather than omnivores. And while they can digest carbs, they have not evolved to have any nutritional requirement for them.

So just because they can digest them (in a modified, cooked form; they still can't break down cellulose in raw vegetable matter) doesn't mean that it's optimal for vegetable sources to be the bulk of dogs' diets.