BC Boards

Managing Estrus Odor

Riika

At six months, Bonnie is probably going to be coming into heat soon. Duke is still intact as, 1 I don't have the money to neuter him at this time, and 2 I really don't want to do it anyway. I've read the pros and cons and have decided not to have it done unless I can't control him from breeding.

I'm confident in my ability to prevent a litter, however, I was wondering what I can do for the odor? I'm sure he is going to be going nuts. I've heard of giving the bitch chlorophyll but would I need to start that now or just when she starts to come into heat? I've also heard of Vicks for on the dogs nose but just got done researching that and most people said don't do it. They say because of the camphor but really I don't think I'd do it anyway. It is almost overwhelming to me so ho much more would it be to him?

I also came across somebody who put eucalyptus essential oil on the dog's chin and the bitch's tail and that worked for them. What do you think?

From personal experience, chlorophyll helps, but it doesn't completely get rid of the odor. I don't think it would really help with a male that lives in the same household. It's more help in keeping the neighborhood dogs from knowing for days in advance when your dog is going to be ready.

It is safe to apply eucalyptus oil directly without dilution, but from what I've read about dogs' sense of smell, I really think you are just adding one smell on top of another and not actually masking the odor. Maybe by putting it on the male, you would overwhelm his sense of smell, but I just don't know.

One good possibility is that since many Border Collies tend to be late-maturing, you may have a few months left before you have to deal with this issue and can find something that will work for you.

When I was young, there was a tablet called "No-Mate" that my mother gave to our bitch which was supposed to prevent odor. It must have been some kind of effective because we never, ever had a male come around to our house or come to sniff during a (leashed) walk when Mom used this during the heat cycle. However, I don't know how effective it would have been with a male within the household!

Very best wishes!

It is safe to apply eucalyptus oil directly without dilution

No, it is not!

There are only 2 essential oils that are sometimes considered safe to apply neat (i.e. without diluting). They are lavender and possibly tea tree oil, though the latter is more and more often not to be considered safe undiluted. Don't believe the crap incredible misinformation put out by Young Living. I'm amazed they haven't been sued yet.

And in my experience working with essential oils around dogs is that eucalyptus is likely to be one that would be highly offensive to most dogs. They tend not to like the strong smell of EOs to begin with, and especially not the sharp smelling ones like mints, eucalyptus, rosemary, etc.

I would consider it cruelty to apply eucalyptus (or just about any EO really) neat or diluted near a dog's nose.

I have never had an issue with applying Eucalyptus radiate neat or several other EOs. Nor do I know anything about what Young Living is recommending. I wouldn't want to apply it under my dog's nose either, but I know for a fact that my dog loves to sniff it.

I would not do anything first time around. They're both young and initially Duke may just ignore the scent. Let them both be. You said you're confident you can prevent a litter, so just let them be. I've got a 18 mo old, he still hasn't a clue, though that's changing, when one of the girls comes in.

Sensitization to EOs can happen at any time. You can work with them or be exposed to them for years with no problem and the one day develop sensitivity out of the blue. Using them neat is one of the riskier ways for this to happen.

If you're comfortable using them that way, that's your decision. Just wanted to make people aware of potential issues.

• 4 years later...