BC Boards

Is there a change in the breeding standards of BC's?

A friend of mine mentioned to me something about a change in the Border Collie breed. That they weren't breeding them for their working ability/intelligence anymore.. I think she said there was a change in the breeding standard. I know I'm not explaining this well but she just told me in passing. Has anyone heard of anything like this?

It is the AKC, show, sport, companion, pet world that breeds for something other than what a Border Collie should be. Those that breed responsibly in the farm, ranch, and trial world, breed to maintain working ability, intelligence, and the whole physical, mental, and temperament package that goes into making a good using dog.

The working BC people still just breed for healthy working dogs like they have always done.

Have the show people changed their breeding standards? It seems to me like the show dogs just keep looking less and less like the working dogs and more and more like stuffed toys. Heavy, heavy coats and short legs, and those square faces with semi-prick ears. Maybe they have been changing their standard a little at a time.

What they said.

What do you mean by "adopting" a dog? If you're buying one from a breeder (and many people euphemistically refer to that as "adoption" [i don't]), ask what registry the dogs are with and ask to see the parents working livestock. If it's not a working registry and the parents aren't actually trained on livestock and working, not much else they tell you matters.

If you're getting a dog from a rescue or shelter, in many cases, maybe even most, you won't know what the breeding is because they probably won't know. But if you're looking for a companion or a sports prospect, it really doesn't matter.

If you're hoping for a working stockdog, you'll most likely just have to take your chances. Few shelters or rescues have the ability to really test a dog for working ability.

Also I wanted to add don't be fooled by those using the phrase 'from working lines' or 'has herding instincts' It doesn't matter if the puppies great grandparent or even grandparents were great working dogs. What matters is that your dogs parents are good working dogs, not sport dogs, show dogs, or hobby herding dogs. Don't be afraid to ask to see the parents work, as I did with my Lily even though the parents were local herding champions I wanted to see it for myself.

If you are getting a shelter/rescue dog you likely won't know unless their owner specifically put them in a rescue because they didn't meet the herding requirements of a farm. That happens from time to time, however I don't think anyone on these boards are against any rescue dog from working lines or not. You would be supporting a shelter/rescue not an irresponsible breeder. The big thing is do not purchase from any breeder who breeds for any reason other than the parents working ability.

Piggybacking Cass C's comment about parents:

Whenever I visit with breeders, I completely ignore the puppies. I ask to see the parents, and I observe the interaction between the owner and them. Then, I observe the interaction primarily between mother and pups. The good breeders are ready and open for these observations. The poor breeders are taken aback and need to go let the sire out of his crate and bring the mother around.

http://www.bordercollie.org/culture/culture.html

Just found this here on this site..I had no idea! Makes me sad.

There it all is, Ttiffany. And it's been going on since the AKC recognized border collies into their registry. It's what show breeders do - even though some claim to do "herding," very few AKC dogs can do real work or run well in USBCHA field trials.

The lesson to learn then is to avoid AKC breeders.

~ Gloria

Also when you are adopting a dog, what do you ask for? How do you know which you are getting?

Not sure I follow this question ... Are you looking at getting a rescue?

If you're buying a pup, then as others have said, I'd want to see the parents work or know that they are successful working and/or trial dogs. It can also help to get recommendations and second opinions from other people who also know the breeder but aren't necessarily their best friends. (In other words, they don't feel a need to talk you into buying their friend's puppies.)

~ Gloria