BC Boards

UTI - overnight incontinence in male dog

KrisK

I have been dealing with Cricket, my 11 1/2 female and her incontinence issues. A visit to the vet indicated crystals and a UTI. She was treated with antibiotics and seems to be clearing up.

Because my dogs share kennels in the dog room, I assumed the urine soaked blankets were from Cricket, however, that is definitely not the case.

Flint, my 2 1/2 year old male, neutered at just over a year old, had soaked his blanket. I have a vet appointment on Saturday for him but it is quite possible this has been an issue for a longer period of time.

He is running trim, has been eating a high quality grain-free diet and generally appears healthy.

I didn't think this type of issue was common in males, especially as young as he is.

Has anyone else dealt with an issue like this with their male dogs?

• 3 weeks later...

Update - So Flint did have a UTI and was put on a special diet with 12 days of antibiotics. In July, Flint weighed 22.2 kilos. When I had him at the breeder's in September, they felt he was a bit 'chunky' so I started to measure his food to ensure he wasn't being overfeed (a possibility since DH would feed him..then I would come home and do the same)

He was 18.6 kilos, two weeks ago when I took him in about the UTI.

Today, I brought him for a follow up to see if the UTI had cleared (it hasn't so he's back on another round of antibiotics) and special food. What disturbed me more, he now weighs 16.6 kilos.

He looks healthy, acts healthy, no vomiting, no diarrhea, etc. He's eating well. The vet is mildly concerned but thinks it could be that the special food doesn't have enough calories to sustain his weight. So, I'm to give him more each day. Also, it's been cold, really cold and he does run a lot outside. He is not a working dog (yet) so I can't attribute it to working.

Just wondering how concerned I should be.

I find myself having to feed my three additional amounts in the winter, when their outside time is spent in the cold and when they tend to be very energetic, compared to what I have to feed in the summer when they don't have to burn calories keeping warm outside and when they tend to be less "lively" due to heat/humidity.

I have gotten caught out before with one or more dogs, finding that I've not adjusted their feed to compensate for additional needs like growing coats, producing heat in cold weather, and being more active. Here's hoping that's all it is for Flint.