BC Boards

Start Line Stay Position?

Some people can clearly get away with inconsistency if they have a forgiving dog but you won't find any top trainer or handler recommending it as a training strategy, I'm sure.

I know one handler competing internationally whose 18in dog scoots on the line as if her anal glands need emptying and he doesn't correct her but when training others it's "Do as I say, not as I do."

Referring back to previous posts on the sit position, it's important to understand that there is a world of difference between the dog that leans forward and can drive off from a sit and the dog that has to haul itself into a stand before it can get going.

Conformation and drive are both significant in determining which a dog will do and which would suit that dog better if using a sit.

Other factors can be the level of excitement of the dog on the line; a dog that is crazy to go and is hard to steer round the course if not under control from the start may be better in a down. A friend with a dog like that and a history of "Oh all right then" broken waits now sets her dog in a sit and doesn't release him until he lies own which is working better. It would have been better still if she had been consistent from the start.

Referring back to previous posts on the sit position, it's important to understand that there is a world of difference between the dog that leans forward and can drive off from a sit and the dog that has to haul itself into a stand before it can get going.

OK, this made me interested to see exactly how Tessa takes off. So I took a couple of clips of her at the start line and put it in slow motion. I am absolutely fascinated with this!! I do think that a sit is definitely right for Tessa.

I had never considered starting distance to the jump for her, but it is something to consider, I think. She is very deliberate - looks at the jump, sizes it up, and takes it deliberately.

Bandit may not be so thoughtful - I think he will end up being much more drivey.

So interesting!!

I think the biggest thing I am taking away from this discussion is that I will need to consider where I put Bandit to start as much as I need to consider his start line position. You can see from Tessa's video, she is very forgiving. I could literally start her right up next to the jump and she likely wouldn't knock it (I wouldn't do that, but I probably could). So, I can really put her wherever I want her. But Bandit, like Kristi's Rex, will likely need to run a few steps to "set" so the first bar stays up. I will have to think about where I am putting him. And maybe I should be putting more thought into where I put her!!

Kristine, I think you are right, it will take some experimentation once he is sequencing to figure out the correct distance. Rievaulx can power over a jump if he is set up too close but it does mean it is harder for him to set up for the next jump, if I set him up to far back the bar has the potential to come down, but that is a whole other thread . In reality we set up from all sorts of distances, but I always try to give him a couple of strides.