BC Boards

David Lee Roth & Border Collies

Dear Doggers,

We sheepdoggers have it backwards. First we admire the sheepdog's work, next we respect the handler whose committment, knowhow and character have allowed that sheepdog to blossom. Somewhat later we may learn if the handler is or is not married, has or doesn't have children or grandchildren. If we visit or stay at the handler's farm/ranch we may, or may not learn what they do for a living and how that's going. That said, I've known handlers quite well for decades and never met their family and never learned how they paid the bills. I can, however, recall single moments years ago when one of their dogs did something bright, important and unforgettable.

I wish Mr. Roth well, whoever he may be.

Donald McCaig

Dear Doggers,

I've known handlers quite well for decades and never met their family and never learned how they paid the bills. I can, however, recall single moments years ago when one of their dogs did something bright, important and unforgettable.

The same is true in dog sports. When I was active in my club, I often knew little about other members, some of whom I was very fond of, other than their dogs, how they trained and what they did in competition. But if David Lee Roth walked into a trial, I would know who he was and what he sang. :)

The same is true in dog sports. When I was active in my club, I often knew little about other members, some of whom I was very fond of, other than their dogs, how they trained and what they did in competition. But if David Lee Roth walked into a trial, I would know who he was and what he sang. :)

I make it a point to show an interest in our members personally. It's not nosiness and I don't grill them with intrusive questions but I do chat to them and learn a lot indirectly. Some are more or less forthcoming than others and that's fine.

If you don't know the details of someone's personal life there's always Facebook, but I'd rather get the information first hand rather than in a snooping stalking sort of way.

We don't see ourselves as just training companions, more as friends and family and we talk about all sorts, not just dogs - very rarely music though unless someone is going to a performance.

I don't think a person merits particular attention because they are a "celebrity" and dabble with sheepdogs and stock, even though it can be interesting to see that someone from a different walk of life can enjoy and become involved with the dogs and stock.

The real "rock stars" in the working sheepdog world are those that utilize the dogs on livestock, train, trial, make careful and good breeding decisions, put on or help at trials and clinics, and share their knowledge and experience with those new to the community.

We don't see ourselves as just training companions, more as friends and family and we talk about all sorts, not just dogs - very rarely music though unless someone is going to a performance.

I have made some very close friends through dog training and of course I know a lot about their personal lives. I picked up info over time on others with whom I was not close, but whose company I enjoyed. We were often so busy with training, showing, putting on a trial that mostly we connected over our shared passion of dogs. That was our main conversation. This is good because my non Dog People (note capitalization) friends do not share anywhere near my interest in discussing dogs :D. Those club members who became close friends and I discuss a lot that is not dog related, but we can still easily spend two solid hours on dogs and not cover all we have to say.

The real "rock stars" in the working sheepdog world are those that utilize the dogs on livestock, train, trial, make careful and good breeding decisions, put on or help at trials and clinics, and share their knowledge and experience with those new to the community.

No argument. Most people still notice celebrities, especially when first seeing them in person. My friends and I do, anyway. Olympic diver Greg Louganis used to do agility (he still may but I am out of the sport). There was buzz when I saw him at a show, but in the end people looked at how he did with his dogs. Those who saw him frequently probably also noted how he interacted with his dogs. But the initial thought for those who knew of him was, "Oh, look. Greg Louganis." Same thing with David Lee Roth. I thought it was interesting and got a kick out of how much fun he seemed to be having.

No other comment, other than I like Van Halen. :)

Dear Doggers,

Maybe I've been at it too long but my non-dog friends are integrated into the sheepdog world. I see my 94 year old Atlanta lawyer friend when I go to Dawn Boyce's trial and I'm sure June is the only dog who ever explored his beautiful mansion. I'll visit my Seattle sister this fall in time for theVauchan Island Trial. My neighbors come for the sheepdog barbeque and music and my preacher blesses the dogs. I meet my literary agent in Centrl Park because her building doesn't accept dogs.

I do have friends I sit down with for dinner where dogs are never mentioned. They are lying at my feet.

Donald McCaig

I can remember people's dogs name and how they did at the trial but hard pressed sometimes for name and if I had to tell you what they did for a living.....yikes.........but is sure do remember their interactions with their dogs and their lovely runs......

I'm getting worse at remembering names but find that it comes more easily the more I know about someone.

I'm getting worse at remembering names but find that it comes more easily the more I know about someone.

I, on the other hand, sometimes blank even on a co-worker or friend's name. And I often mix up the names of two of my very closest friends who are not similar in looks or personality nor do they have similar names. The only thing they really have in common is how much they mean to me. I have no idea why I do that. One gets a bit irritated. The other finds it amusing. I find it exasperating.

Then again, I also call my dogs by the wrong names at times. And no one can doubt my interest in, knowledge of or love for them LOL.