BC Boards

Meeting this little lady on Saturday to possibly adopt...

Thanks for all the info! I really appreciate it!

To give a little more background, Finn is just 10 months old so I'm sure he is "trying on" a more dominant role, seeing what he can get away with. He is neutered already, and he mounts the male foster we have here as well (which is who was outside and jumping at the back door that distracted them for a moment). I always pull him off other dogs when he mounts, but in this case I wanted to see the un-interrupted outcome. They were outside in the backyard together and were a bit more relaxed with the bigger space, but she wouldn't chase the thrown ball/frisbee if he went for it so they managed to keep their distance from each other.

So, should this move forward, or she comes over for another playdate, you're saying I should intervene and try to stop the mounting before it starts? Like I said, I usually do, but wanted to video the interaction. And you can see that my 10-yr-old is also well versed and tried to push him off as well.

So, should this move forward, or she comes over for another playdate, you're saying I should intervene and try to stop the mounting before it starts? l.

IMO yes, as soon as Finn starts comng onto her, he just needs a short warning from you that it is not acceptable behaviour.. Raine needs to trust you and believe that you will protect/support her if another dog is being a Jerk

...and Finn needs to learn to be more respectful around other dogs Yes he is just being an adolescent and learning what he can get away with..but if he thinks this is acceptable behaviour, he will end up getting bit..probably not by Raine, but by another dog with less manners...

Re: mounting - Kolt gets one "leave it" when he starts thinking about it. He gets praised for making the right choice but if he tries it a second time then it's a leash or crate for a short time out. Kenzi will tell him off if needed but if I see her start to look irritated then I usually step in and make him calm down

So, should this move forward, or she comes over for another playdate, you're saying I should intervene and try to stop the mounting before it starts? Like I said, I usually do, but wanted to video the interaction. And you can see that my 10-yr-old is also well versed and tried to push him off as well.

If you can read 'intent' before he's actually mounting the other dog, I would stop it before you have to pull them apart/push him off. For example, in the video at 0:33 he's doing an obnoxious head on shoulder move (and her body language was pretty clear that she wasn't happy with it - she's all stiff) - that would be the point where I would call him away and put him in a time out if he tried it again.

I didn't realize that Riane was in your home -- i.e. unfamiliar territory -- when this was being filmed. That explains a lot.

The rescue I volunteer with suggest slow introduction between the dogs when the new one comes home. A period of separation is sometimes helpful, with the dogs being separated by closed door or a baby gate so they can get used to each other being there but not actually able to interact.

Maybe this would be helpful to you: http://nebcr.org/Bringing_Home_Border_Collie.htm

Good luck.

To give a little more background, Finn is just 10 months old so I'm sure he is "trying on" a more dominant role, seeing what he can get away with. He is neutered already, and he mounts the male foster we have here as well (which is who was outside and jumping at the back door that distracted them for a moment). I always pull him off other dogs when he mounts,

.... you're saying I should intervene and try to stop the mounting before it starts? Like I said, I usually do, but wanted to video the interaction. And you can see that my 10-yr-old is also well versed and tried to push him off as well.

My opinion is that mounting is an incredibly rude, obnoxious behavior in any dog. I mean, how would you like to walk in the door and have some big, grabby dude panting and climbing on you? :angry:

It should be forbidden and discouraged at all times. Finn should not be "pulled off" other dogs - he should be stopped, redirected and corrected if necessary before he even gets started. The minute his tail goes up and his chin lifts, he should get a sharp "AH!" or "no, leave it" and he should turn away from the attempt before he even comes close to getting his chin over their shoulders.

Rian was extremely kind and tolerant of him, but he never once allowed her to relax and let her guard down. That's stressful for her.

Change the thought before he acts on it. Discourage the behavior before he can start. Train him to abandon the idea as soon as it comes to mind. It's just really rude and can be very upsetting to the dog he's focused on, and can trigger unfortunate reactions in other dogs if they feel threatened, frightened or overwhelmed.

Mounting behavior is a pet peeve of mine, if you haven't guessed. B)

~ Gloria

P.S.

Rian is a real cutie!

Dear Doggers,

Some years ago, in the early days of our friendship, I asked Carol Benjamin why she so often wrote about dog mounting. It was a genuine disconnect: in the dog parks, walks and while training problem pet dogs, Carol saw plenty of ill-mannered mounting. In sheepdog culture, where such behavior would be welcomed as enthusiastically as a dog humping your leg. I don't think I'd ever seen it.

It's easy to discourage. Say no. Mean it.

Donald McCaig

Here they are after her being here for about an hour.

It's kind of a lot to deal with, right? tight room, strange Xmas tree, persistent dog trying to get on her. The couple of tail wags I saw are high and quick and she looks like she's piloerect in a couple of lights. I'd say there is way too much back pressure. I'd get her out of there and most of all I'd totally correct that dog from treating her like a mouse in a box - it makes MY blood pressure go up just watching it.

There's more going on than just the mounting, Betsy.

It would be better to allow the dogs to meet on neutral territory or at every least in a less confined space. Do you see in the video how trapped Riane is? She really didn't have much choice other than to snap at your dog in that situation.

She was very restrained and very appropriate in her behavior.

There's more going on than just the mounting, Betsy.

It would be better to allow the dogs to meet on neutral territory or at every least in a less confined space. Do you see in the video how trapped Riane is? She really didn't have much choice other than to snap at your dog in that situation.

She was very restrained and very appropriate in her behavior.

Well, that's over and done with now, there's no "first meeting" to happen again, as that can only happen once. As I said, this was filmed after she had been here an hour, it was not their very first interaction. I will try to do better in the future, but for now it is what it is, I cannot correct the past. I was somewhat limited by small living quarters and nasty weather outside.

And I also wanted to say that I didn't realize that mounting was such a rude behavior in general, I thought it was more of a "that's just what dog's do" type of thing, so I do very much appreciate the insights and I will definitely do my best to head it off before it starts.

As far as future meetings go, I'll make sure they are more appropriately planned as well.

And I also wanted to say that I didn't realize that mounting was such a rude behavior in general, I thought it was more of a "that's just what dog's do" type of thing, so I do very much appreciate the insights and I will definitely do my best to head it off before it starts.

As far as future meetings go, I'll make sure they are more appropriately planned as well.

If it is any reassurance, I'm sure that there are many pet dog owners who see mounting as'just what a dog does'.

My own view is that most dogs (other than a receptive bitch) will give signals that he/she does not want to be mounted. A 'rude' dog will ignore these signals and take advantage of the fact thtat most other dogs do not want to actually fight to stop him.

IMO it is our responsibility as dog owners to learn to read those early tells that indicate that our dogs are thinking about acting inappropriately. We need to tell our dogs at this point that these thoughts and subsequent actions are not acceptable.

Catching a dog early on has 2 advantges.Firstly, It is much easier to stop a dog from misbehaving .Secondly, if the owner lets the dog know that the thoughts themselves are not acceptable, then the dog will find it easier to learn to control himself.

I guess others who have also posted on this tread feel similarly.

She's beautiful, Betsy. I'm sure whatever your final decision, she's gonna end up shining. :)

It sounds like meets from now will go a little better with the insight you've been given, so I wish you both the very best of luck.

We all live and learn. :) You'll do well and you've plenty of food for thought for the second meeting.

Sorry if we went overboard on the anti-mounting warnings! I think that's a common misconception among many pet owners, but now you know better and you can just focus on helping Rian feel comfortable. Best of luck with that little beauty! :wub:

~ Gloria