BC Boards

Meeting this little lady on Saturday to possibly adopt...

Riane52.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUxYASInuFE&list=UU7vj_i69xtw2wDwEctLbL-A

Riane is a very sweet purebred Border Collie girl who is between 4 and 5 years old. Riane, (pronounced ry-anne), has made her way back into rescue after being adopted a few years ago. She was not returned at any fault of her own, she is a wonderful girl! She loves to be around people and is very well-mannered. She is such a sweet girl, and loves to give hugs. Riane is fully house-trained and knows several commands, including sit, lie down, stay, and shake. She also has a very good recall. Riane wants nothing more than to please her people, and has the potential to learn anything you want to teach her!
Although she isn't too interested in playing with them, Riane does well with most other dogs. She doesn't like dogs getting in to her face and will growl at them to let them know she isn't happy, but so far in her short time in rescue has met several other Border Collies and has been fine with all of them! We aren't sure how Riane does with cats. Her former owner tells us that Riane has been nippy around young kids in the past, so Riane should not go into a home with children under 10 years of age.
Riane lives for playing fetch and is very toy motivated! She is pretty good about bringing toys back and will keep going as long as you do! She will play with anything you throw, and can catch it right out of the air if thrown right. If you aren't in the mood to play, that's okay! Riane is also very good at keeping herself entertained with a toy. She will roll a ball around the floor for hours.
Riane would love an active family, with plenty of toys to play with, to call her own!

She was pretty snarky (lip curling and a few air snaps) most of the time. Mine almost got her to play once by not getting too close and jumping around in front of her and she stopped the lip curling and started wagging her tail. But then he tried to mount her and she went back to being snarky. Can't blame her for that one I suppose! I talked to her foster dad and he said she was like that for about 2 days but now she romps and wrestles with his two dogs all the time. So, no decision made yet, we are meeting one more tomorrow night and then will talk about it. My husband is the one needing convincing. We're not actively looking for a 2nd dog, it's just that these two dogs that sound *just like* our late BC (passed away almost a year ago) came into rescue so we had to check them out.

You might ask if you can do a trial period of, say a month, after which you could return her if it doesn't work out. That'd give you a chance to see if she'll settle in with your guys. Many rescues will do that if there's a question about compatibility.

A word of caution, though, about choosing a dog because it reminds you of a departed favorite. No dog can live up to that kind of expectation. It's not reasonable or fair to the new dog.

Choose and appreciate a dog for who she or he is, not whom she reminds you of.

By, "reminds us of our departed dog" we simply mean "comes when called and loves to retrieve balls", neither of which our current dog does. Well, if you have a treat he might come and he'll chase a ball just won't always bring it back. Haha!

Riane also has never been around cats, she was super interested and followed her EVERYWHERE. Didn't seem aggressive at all, just basically wanted to herd her. A lot. The cat is used to it and as long as the dog isn't aggressive she mostly ignores them. Truth be told I think she likes the attention!

Funny, when both focused on the cat there is no snarky-ness, it's like they're a team. ;)

fce09.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Maker

Oh, she was most definitely nervous. Didn't stop panting most of the time she was here. I'm certain the Rescue would give us a trial period, in fact all dogs are considered in a 30-day-trial period from when they are adopted and still belong to the rescue during that time, then it's finalized. Plus, I'm pretty active within the Rescue (have a temp foster currently) so they're willing to bend a little for me.

She's only been in rescue for about a month, although she was originally adopted through the rescue a few years ago. The girl that originally adopted her actually tried to sell her on Craigslist about a year after having her (Rescue contacted them, the post was taken down, they had moved since the adoption, so no way to contact them and get her back, and the Rescue figured they had gotten rid of her some other way). But about a month ago the girls boyfriend called the rescue and said, "Come get this dog NOW or I'm getting rid of her." And his reasoning was that his GF was now pregnant so the dog had to go. :( Then later he contacted the rescue again and demanded she be given back because she "looked unhappy on the website". Whatever dude.

I was looking at the video of Raine and Finn greeting.

IMO Finn with his tail curled up and jaunty posture/dance and then attempting to mount her is really trying it on with her. Raine is trying to tell him as politely as possible ( tail down but wagging slowly) that she is willing to try to be a friend but really doesn't want his sexual advances and this is makng her feel insecure. When he doesn't get the hint, she has to be more obvious and attempt to push him away.

ETA .. When he is briefly distracted from her ( when someone seems to come into the room behind the camera), she initiates an interaction and goes up to talk politely to him. However, Finn takes this to mean that he can then mount her.

JMO.. But if Finn will be a bit more polite towards her and less sexually overt ( i.e. stopped well BEFORE he tries to mount her) then perhaps she would relax a bit more around him.

YMMV

I was looking at the video of Raine and Finn greeting.

IMO Finn with his tail curled up and jaunty posture/dance and then attempting to mount her is really trying it on with her. Raine is trying to tell him as politely as possible ( tail down but wagging slowly) that she is willing to try to be a friend but really doesn't want his sexual advances and this is makng her feel insecure. When he doesn't get the hint, she has to be more obvious and attempt to push him away.

ETA .. When he is briefly distracted from her ( when someone seems to come into the room behind the camera), she initiates an interaction and goes up to talk politely to him. However, Finn takes this to mean that he can then mount her.

JMO.. But if Finn will be a bit more polite towards her and less sexually overt ( i.e. stopped well BEFORE he tries to mount her) then perhaps she would relax a bit more around him.

YMMV

I saw a lot of similar things. Finn is very forward and rude at times. It's also a small space and Raine is fairly trapped in that she's have to move past him to leave the area.

One of my males is a dumb, rude boy who does stuff like this sometimes when meeting other dogs (including the head over the shoulders stuff and escalating his behaviors when the other dog doesn't want to play). So he is not the first dog a new dog meets and I make sure it's in larger spaces so there's less pressure on the new dog.