BC Boards

Flea issues

urge to herd

The only problem is if the cat licks the Vectra off the dog before it dries.

There is a Vectra for cats that only works for fleas. To be clearer, Vectra 3D is for dogs and has the added tick preventative.

The company rep has told us that if you put an E-collar on a cat (so it can not groom while the product is still wet) and apply the dog Vectra, the cat will be unharmed. There is also a very bad taste built into the product to discourage cats from licking it.

Hmm, sounds like a clinic cat needs to be a guinea pig ;) I'm half-joking, but it would be nice to have first-hand proof.

We live in central MO and vectra didn't do it for ticks here. Comfortis has worked and I tick pick every night. The lgd had a tick problem, seresto collar worked but the dog stayed listless for way to long. So still tick picking getting ready to try nexgard or the other new product. Just hoping it's winter and we'll have a tick break for a while.

I have not had a flea problem here in SW Virginia (knock on wood), and I have used the gamut from Advantix to Frontline to Scalibor to Seresto to Vectra 3D.

Now ticks are a whole 'nother problem ......... (One dog is currently on doxy for his SECOND time with ehrlichia, and he has also had Lyme too.)

Debbie, you likely haven't had a flea problem because of environment (type of soil, vegetation and critters on your property and climate) plus luck.

Julie, yeah, I've seen the claims about spinosad. I've used in it many thousands of animals and have only seen mild reactions. I quite happily use it in my own dogs when I think they are at high risk of fleas.

Love Vectra 3D (and SimpleGuard 3, the private label version). With cat owners I tell them to apply it at bedtime and separate the dogs and the cats.

Liz did you or do you find vectra3d works for ticks?

Jesse only weighs about 110 and I made sure to put it on well.

It didnt touch the ticks or as dh says maybe it did and she'd of had even more, though I cant imagine that.

It's been the most effective product I've used for ticks. That said, some dogs seem to be tick magnets no matter what you put on them. I would walk all of my dogs in the woods and the same dog always had at least one tick when we got home. The others almost never had any. I started to put an amitraz collar on my tick magnet dog and that solved the problem.

• 5 weeks later...

My girl had big issues with Advantix..I had used Frontline Plus for years with no issue but had a coupon for K9 Advantix so thought I'd give it a try. It almost burned her skin..she was so irritated and I could tell it made her have pain, so I switched back to Frontline Plus. Haven't had any flea issues but she is also on Sentinel for HW.