BC Boards

Smooth vs. Rough coat?

You're lucky Kristen. I think my smooths are some of my worst shedders! I guess that's because smooth also comes in many forms and the ones who have more undercoat (less slick) also shed a ton.

J.

I agree! My theory is that a rough coat traps the hair just a bit until you can brush it out but the undercoat on a smoothie just falls out when it's loose. Still beats trying to get burrs out though...

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Faye is just going on 3. Sometimes I think they get more coat the older they get or I'm just lucky so far. I'll keep hoping she stays that way. Faye just blew her coat this fall first time. I brushed her twice and it was gone. The old guys are still letting it rip. Mick and Dew are hairy little suckers. They're half sibs and both curly or wavy coats. Maybe that's why they're sill blowing coats.

My favorite is smooth.....today anyways

I've had a bunch of combos: smooth with no undercoat, smooth with thick undercoat, rough with no undercoat, and rough with heavy undercoat. Those with no undercoat get brushed maybe twice a year and shed out incredibly cleanly when they drop their coats (Liv in particular pretends to be a smooth coat). Rae's smooth coat has gotten so thick with age that it's nearly impossible to bleed her jugular without clipping (it's torture living with me!).

Everyone's going to have their preferences, and there are always "experts" no matter where you go.

The one thing all of mine have in common is that when they come in covered in ick, I can plop them in a crate and tadaa! They come out spic and span :)

You're lucky Kristen. I think my smooths are some of my worst shedders!

That has been my experience, as well!!

And poor Dean has the kind of smooth coat that doesn't insulate him much at all. He's hot in the summer (I am always letting him dunk in a tub of water when we are outside in the summer) and he gets cold in the winter.

But I know they aren't all like that. Sammie and Maddie were fine and their coats were even smoother than Dean's.

I'll admit I'm partial to along, flowing coat.

That said, I have never wished for any other kind of coat on my smooth coated dogs. They, as individuals, just wouldn't have looked right with anything but their own smooth coats!!

It has been my experience, too, that coats change with age. My oldsters have mostly gotten thicker undercoats that have a greater tendency to mat (maybe because of age-related skin changes?). But it's not just thicker--it's different, different texture, especially. And that's both rough and smooth coats, though seems more obvious on the smooths.

J.

The one thing all of mine have in common is that when they come in covered in ick, I can plop them in a crate and tadaa! They come out spic and span :)

Yes! Our crates come with Border Collie faeries, too!

Our heaviest coated dog sheds the least; one smooth and one rough with little undercoat are in competition for shedding most of the border collies. None come close to out shedding our mutt, though. Same experience as others with coat and aging--curlier, heavier, more matting. I prefer the coat type I'm looking at.

A BC rescue org. representative once argued with us that our tri smoothie with hound ears was a mix and probably had no BC at all. We all had a good chuckle when we showed his papers.

I spend so much time with "dog people" that I forget sometimes how small a group of people it actually is and unless they have some particular stake in Border Collie breeding politics, people who ask me about our dogs are generally quite curious and interested to learn more about the perspective that how they work and think rather than look is the mark of a border collie.

At first I thought the shedding was going to be much less with a smooth coat, but I'm being proven wrong lately.

Though I think my roughs have had more shedding in the long run, this girl is shedding like crazy. I've gotta give her a good brushing today before I too start using hair as a condiment. It's a good day to wear all black!

Haven't yet seen a border collie whose natural look I didn't like. That said, and with all my border collies so far being rough coats, I find I'm getting a little quickening heart beat when I see a pic of a smoothie. Perhaps I'm developing a preference.

I'd not turn away any kind of border collie in need, if I could help. We'll see what happens when it's time for me to go 'shopping' again.

Ruth and SuperGibbs

Haven't yet seen a border collie whose natural look I didn't like. That said, and with all my border collies so far being rough coats, I find I'm getting a little quickening heart beat when I see a pic of a smoothie. Perhaps I'm developing a preference.

I'd not turn away any kind of border collie in need, if I could help. We'll see what happens when it's time for me to go 'shopping' again.

Ruth and SuperGibbs

I like them all, too, even though I am a softie for a medium rough black-and-white. After all, it's what's inside that counts.

I was always much more attracted to the rough coated BCs. A few years ago we adopted two smoothies and now I'm sold on them. They don't shed any less, but removing any burrs that stick is easy as a wipe and when you bath them there is much less towel usage! We live in Minnesota and never put a coat on them. When it gets to windchills of 20 to 30 below we have to monitor their time out just like any rough coated dog. Other than that they are fine.

I do sometimes get the question about what kind of dog they are, but I use it as an opportunity to educate about what a BC really is. I used to get that question about our red BC because she was red and had a gay tail, and about our very rough coated dog because he had drop ears.

I know the AKC show collies have the long, flowing coat but are most real Border Collies expected to have a semi-short rough coat? I'm still pretty new to this breed and Sammy is now 20 months old so I'm wondering if this is about as long as his coat is expected to get? In the last photo, you can see he doesn't have much in the way of a mane.

sammy1_zps0660f681.jpg

sammy2_zps97f840ad.jpg

sammy3_zps856f9da7.jpg

It varies all over the place with border collies - the real ones I mean. AKC show dogs do tend to have heavy bone and a lot of heavy coat, but some of the working collies do, too. You'll probably not see your guy's full fur until he's 2 or beyond and some keep growing more fur even longer.

My experience has been that male border collies tend to do a bit of filling out at around 3 years old, and that can include the mane getting a little fuller. This is especially true of intact dogs.

But, yeah, coat length and fullness can be all over the map with border collies. For the rough coated dogs I tend to prefer the shorter rough coats like Sammy's.

At 3 yo, Gideon still didn't have any undercoat to speak of, but over the last 6 months(3 1/2 yo now) he has definitely added some undercoat, not much, but some.

Yep, that is what I'm afraid of with Faye. She just turned 3 and blew her coat for the first time.

We had to go somewhere dressed up yesterday. I wasn't home for final man inspection (husband and son) they were nicely dressed in their Sunday finest with a beautiful layer of hair all over their bums.

Kristen, great story, and sorry for your loss. I think I'll direct that a certain amount of dog hair remain on my lapel when that time comes for me :).

When my BC reached about 6-7 years, her medium coat became more wavy, and her undercoat grew thicker. Made her look like a larger dog, but the scale said that was not true. I do not groom her enough, frequently preferring the vacuum to correct my neglect.

My wonderful wife had a lengthy recuperation at home a few years ago, and it was Christmas Eve. She suddenly decided she felt well enough to attend traditional midnight mass at our church. I was delighted that she was going. She may not have been out of the house in weeks, but I helped her hastily get dressed. House slippers, PJ bottoms, fleece jacket, hair as you might imagine from weeks of bedrest. We navigated the ice covered parking lot, and I helped her to a place in the pew. The church was beautifully decorated for the season, lights dimmed, and everybody was in their best. The lighting must have come-up for the entry procession. As everyone stood in respect, I looked at my dear wife standing next to me, and came to the realization that here was a disheveled looking woman with her arm in a sling, wearing pajamas and slippers, and to make it worse volumes of dog hair covering her from head to foot. I involuntarily began to brush and pick it from her clothing and hair, and stage whispered something like, "Poor thing, do you have a place to stay tonight?". I sensed those seated near us nod in agreement (certain I did not imagine it), and Sheryl and I began to laugh uncontrollably. It was muffled, but a good laugh nonetheless. It was one of those moments that cannot be forgotten no matter how hard we try, yet never fails to bring smiles. We like to think that God was unconcerned about her manner of dress, and that under the circumstances, he gave her a pass on the dog hair. -- Happy Holidays, TEC

I used to blame my long haired collie mix Ross for all the furballs around the house but since he died it's no better. All the remaining dogs are short coated.

I still prefer short to long though as Ross took forever to dry off and shake the sand from his coat after being on the shore.

Short rather than smooth for me. I like just a hint of fluff and short coats seem to suffer from the cold and wet less than smooth coats. Yes, I know it doesn't get what you call cold here, but it's relative. My dogs never need to be covered up even after breaking the ice to take a dip in the water.