BC Boards

BC Book

Does anyone know of a GOOD book (but within a reasonable price range) that covers many aspects of training a Border collie? I'd like one that covers many BC activities, like herding, agility, flyball, frisbee, obedience, etc. - Just a good overview of each, and what is required.

I am wanting to get my BC puppy into obedience, and am wondering what else her and I can do together.

Thanks!

Any recommendations?

I actually would recommend getting a book that focuses on whatever you are interested in at the moment - and getting the specialized books for each venue of performance. I've glanced through the "breed" books that offer information on the various sports and they weren't very helpful (and they were mostly geared towards the conformation/versatility bred dog).

So, to start agility, get a recommendation for a good agility book that offers puppy exercises. Same with obedience. I'm not sure but I think there's a clicker book that focuses on clicker training several performance fields? That might be a good one.

Most newer training books are written by people familiar with Border Collies because Border Collies are so pervasive in the performance world.

Jessica,

Check out half.com for titles. If you can't find something there, then go to dogwise.com. Dogwise has a lot of titles, it's a great place to just browse.

I have no herding experience, so can't help you with a reference there, but there are several folks who will be able chime in.

Anyway, I agree with Rebecca's post, you'll actually get a lot more bang for your buck if you get a book or 2 on each activity. Go thru your public library first if you want a preview. My library, (my sis is a librarian for the Harris County Library System, close to you in Houston) does a system wide and even out of system request/loan program, (I think Sis says they do it in Houston, too) so you can get books to borrow from other systems.

Or if you buy from half.com and don't like the book, you can resell it!

As for specifics, I like Enjoying Dog Agility, by Julie Daniels, Click for Joy by Melissa Alexander,and Idiot's Guide to Fun and Tricks with Your Dog by Sarah Hodgson.

Good luck! and have a great time with her. How's the name deciding going?

Ruth n the BC3

Originally posted by urge to herd:

Jessica,

Check out half.com for titles. If you can't find something there, then go to dogwise.com. Dogwise has a lot of titles, it's a great place to just browse.

I have no herding experience, so can't help you with a reference there, but there are several folks who will be able chime in.

Anyway, I agree with Rebecca's post, you'll actually get a lot more bang for your buck if you get a book or 2 on each activity. Go thru your public library first if you want a preview. My library, (my sis is a librarian for the Harris County Library System, close to you in Houston) does a system wide and even out of system request/loan program, (I think Sis says they do it in Houston, too) so you can get books to borrow from other systems.

Or if you buy from half.com and don't like the book, you can resell it!

As for specifics, I like Enjoying Dog Agility, by Julie Daniels, Click for Joy by Melissa Alexander,and Idiot's Guide to Fun and Tricks with Your Dog by Sarah Hodgson.

Good luck! and have a great time with her. How's the name deciding going?

Ruth n the BC3

Houston is about 4 hours away from me lol Far away! Thank you for the suggestions!

Originally posted by brookcove2:

I actually would recommend getting a book that focuses on whatever you are interested in at the moment - and getting the specialized books for each venue of performance. I've glanced through the "breed" books that offer information on the various sports and they weren't very helpful (and they were mostly geared towards the conformation/versatility bred dog).

So, to start agility, get a recommendation for a good agility book that offers puppy exercises. Same with obedience. I'm not sure but I think there's a clicker book that focuses on clicker training several performance fields? That might be a good one.

Most newer training books are written by people familiar with Border Collies because Border Collies are so pervasive in the performance world.

Thanks!