BC Boards

Catching a Loose Dog

This isn't about a BC, but I thought you all would have some good suggestions...I volunteer for a local animal shelter and one of the dogs escaped from a slip lead when he was being transferred between shelters. He's originally from the County shelter so he doesn't know his name, no collar because he had on that slip lead, and he's pretty skittish.

He's a hound mix, so he's not equipped to handle winter and we spent 6+ hours chasing him in whiteout conditions last night. I really hope the poor baby was okay overnight, but I'm optimistic because we kept him running for such a long time that he might have stayed mostly warm. He didn't look injured at all, so that's good too. There were also plenty of spots he could have found warm enough shelter in the neighborhood. They're setting a trap for him this morning and hopefully he's hungry enough to wander in.

Do you have any suggestions for catching a really fast dog? We spotted him many times and it's so disappointing that we couldn't even get close. I know Border Collies are absurdly fast and thankfully, I don't have any experience catching mine because she's always leashed and we're very careful with the door. If I can learn all of your tricks, maybe the next escapee won't have to spend the night outside (it's very rare, but the occasional one gets loose).

~Moosikins

The only way Tessa could be caught when I first had her was to somehow trick her into going into a fenced area and closing the gate. I don't know if there is a fenced area near where the dog is loose, but if some food could be placed inside the fence, and then the gate closed, you might have a chance.

Luckily, she would allow me to approach and put a leash on her once she knew she was caught inside the gate. It only happened a couple of times, but that did work for her. (Of course now she trusts me and she isn't running away from me anymore!!)

The trap might work if he doesn't have issues with going into it to begin with.

I don't know if this really works. I asked that same question to a BC trainer here in Mo. and he said to just walk after them and don't make a sound. He said he had walked miles after loose dogs.

My worst nightmare as a pet sitter is a loose dog. I am so careful to just make sure that never happens because once one is on the run it is almost impossible to catch them.

Stop chasing him. Set a live trap. The rescue should know better than to chase a loose dog in snow for hours. Bait the trap in the last area he was spotted. Then leave. You'll just spook him away from the trap. Notify neighbors as well so they don't chase or call after him. Dogs like him can go into a feral state quickly and will never be caught by chasing. Dogs who go missing have been known to completely ignore or run from long time owners.

I wish them luck.

You really can't catch a dog that doesn't want to be caught by chasing them. They're much faster than humans are.

I really, really hope you're using the word "chase" figuratively, because the absolute worst thing you can to with a scared dog is to chase him. Lure him, try to trap him, but don't chase him. If you're using the word literally and people did indeed chase him for over 6 hours, you've probably frightened him so badly that he'll be more scared of people than ever.

The shelter here lost a dog that a friend of mine who volunteers there was involved in the recovery of. It took over a year! And they were smart enough never to have chased the dog in the first place.

Best wishes recovering this dog.

I've had success with catching loose dogs by having a slip leash and extra treats in my pocket, and sitting on the ground quietly and as still as possible. I will hold a treat with a strong smell and wait. If the dog comes towards me to take the treat let them have it. A lot of times a few tasty treats can calm the dog enough to get a leash on them. The important thing is to move slowly and calmly.

I've only used live traps to catch cats before, but I imagine with a tempting treat it would work with dogs as well.

I was contemplating going out there after work if he wasn't caught to see if I could throw something at him and get him enticed enough to at least stay in one spot for a moment or two...I was wondering if burgers or other types of meat might work, especially because he must've been so hungry from running and the cold.

* It was 23F last night, which is -5C.

treat and retreat works nicely for many dogs (some sharper ones will get a little too confident). Toss a treat ; I really like cut up hot dogs as they are easy and cheap. Then back away a foot or so see if he approaches the treat. Keep this up narrowing the distance as he accepts it.

I took in a rescue some years back and it took me 3 days to get her to touch my hand (with a treat in it) it took my Husband, whom dogs usually LOVE) 3 weeks to get her to touch him Patience pays off.

I've had success with catching loose dogs by having a slip leash and extra treats in my pocket, and sitting on the ground quietly and as still as possible. I will hold a treat with a strong smell and wait. If the dog comes towards me to take the treat let them have it. A lot of times a few tasty treats can calm the dog enough to get a leash on them. The important thing is to move slowly and calmly.

I've only used live traps to catch cats before, but I imagine with a tempting treat it would work with dogs as well.

This, and sitting sideways on to the dog not making eye contact.

Maybe . . . if the dog was interested in balls or frisbees. If not, it wouldn't be much use.

Happy to hear the dog was recovered quickly.

I wondered if it could turn a frightening moment into a less tense one, if the dog has a high interest in play. I realise a lot of strays or rescue may never have experienced play, and a strange human hurling things may not be a good idea!