BC Boards

Collar sizing for a teenage dog

I want to order Kolt's big dog collar and Karma Collars is having their monthly free leash Friday!). He's 7.5 m/o Should I be okay ordering one now? I'm thinking by now his neck size won't grow too much more but he could muscle up a bit. So I'm thinking about order 1/2-1" larger than his current size. Does this logic sound correct? or not?

My dogs have always stayed the collar size they were at 6-8 months. Not sure that Risk will follow suit though. I've chosen a collar and lead from a US site but daren't order them yet.

Hazel is still wearing the collar I got her from the US 11+ years ago and it's a similar design so I hope the extra cost will be worth it again.

I went ahead and bought one 1/2" larger than what is comfortable on him now. It will adjust up or down 1" from that point (the website says 3", but the previous collar I bought only 2" of adjustability - go figure) so I'm hoping this will be perfect.

Now I get to impatiently wait for it to arrive...

It's one random Friday each month. Just check their FB page or website each Friday 'til one pops up. They send one really nice 4ft traditional leash with every order.

Thank you! I want to purchase collars for both the dogs for Christmas (my daughter thinks that all the pets need gifts under the tree) and it would be great to get a free leash.

Fair warning - since they're made to order, it takes about 4 weeks to get a collar ordered on free leash friday. Worth the wait, but might not get there for Christmas if ordered in Dec. I'd stalk their FB page on Black Friday/Cyber Monday to see if they might have an extra FLF or another special then.

Maralynn,

Have you purchased the Karma collars before? I'm curious if the double layer ones are stiff or if they are soft and comfortable? Also, a lot of the single layer collars say for small dogs but I'm wondering if they'd work for a smaller BC? They are gorgeous and now I have collar envy :)

Maralynn,

Have you purchased the Karma collars before? I'm curious if the double layer ones are stiff or if they are soft and comfortable? Also, a lot of the single layer collars say for small dogs but I'm wondering if they'd work for a smaller BC? They are gorgeous and now I have collar envy :)

Yes - I bought one of the single layer 3/4" collars (the Zion) this spring - it's perfect for my 38# BC. Never though I'd spend that much on a collar but the free leash helped the final decision - they ended up being just over $20 each. Pricey but fairly reasonable for hand made dog gear. Kenzi has worn it most of the time since then and it has held up wonderfully. I just swap collars when she goes swimming.

I really loved it so I saved up and ordered a customized Little Ranger for Kolt - also a 3/4" and I think it will be a great size for him. I think he's going end up as a fairly slender 45# dog.

I really loved it so I saved up and ordered a customized Little Ranger for Kolt - also a 3/4" and I think it will be a great size for him. I think he's going end up as a fairly slender 45# dog.

How do you order a customized collar? And will you please post photos when the collar arrives?!

How do you order a customized collar? And will you please post photos when the collar arrives?!

Put it in the notes at check out. I emailed a couple months ago to see it they could do it. I had them leave the stars silver but swap the studs and hardware from silver to brass. I'll post pics when I get it :)

I want the Stargazer deluxe. I don't think I'd ever spend that kind of money on a collar though. I could feed a sheep or goat for quite a while on that much money.

Heck, I could feed *me* for quite a while for that much money!!

:lol:

Maralyn, how did you end up paying only $20 each for a collar and leash? That much I could actually afford, although it would still be a splurge.

When I got the Zion collar (one of the cheapest ones) it was $38 + $5 shipping. I ordered it on FLF so I got both the collar and a bonus leash for a total $43 so it worked out to just over $20 each. Prices have gone up a little since the sping (not really surprised since shipping prices on everything have increased)

When I got the Zion collar (one of the cheapest ones) it was $38 + $5 shipping. I ordered it on FLF so I got both the collar and a bonus leash for a total $43 so it worked out to just over $20 each. Prices have gone up a little since the sping (not really surprised since shipping prices on everything have increased)

Ah, I see.

Well, I can look at them online and dream!

What I have done, though, is sort of a "poor woman's" version, to make fancy collars. I scour the Goodwill stores for belts that have conchos on them with screw backs. It's not easy to find screw-back conchos, let alone ones that are small enough for a dog's collar. But I am not attached to instant gratification, so I just look whenever I am in a thrift store. I find a worn-out belt, maybe missing the buckle, for $2 or $3, and take the conchos off, and then take a hole punch to a regular leather collar and attach the conchos. Not nearly as magnificent as the Karma collars, but they look pretty nice anyway. Another thing one can do is get conchos from some place like Tandy leather.

• 4 weeks later...

After a month of waiting, the collar and leash set arrived today! Apparently the post office is working in overdrive right now 'cause it shipped from CA yesterday and arrived at my house in MI today :blink:

I'm super happy with how it turned out - colors and design are perfect for him! It's tad loose at 8 m/o (on the smallest hole) so doing it again I'd order a 1/2 smaller, but his neck may fill out a bit yet.

16027585716_92d5662fd1.jpg