BC Boards

Nail Cutting Trouble

We're having trouble getting Callie to let us cut her nails. The back ones aren't bad, but the front paws need to be done soon. I really don't like the idea of her running around on carpet with long nails that could snag and hurt her or her general discomfort.

She absolutely freaks out when we try to cut them, but it's a new thing. She used to be perfectly fine with us doing it and at the groomers. In fact, the last time she got washed at Petco, they said she was an angel with letting them take her paws (and she's never had them cut too short or bled). We've always touched her paws, played with her tail, etc. to get her used to being touched/groomed.

There's biting, writhing, yelping, and kicking. And now that she's so much bigger than she used to be, even with two people it's impossible to hold her down and grab onto a paw.

Any suggestions on getting her to stay still enough to at least trim a bit off the end? If we don't figure this out, I guess we'll have to make a vet visit and I'll leave the room...I can't stand hearing her yelp and get upset and I'm guessing that their method is going to be forceful.

~Moosikins

P.S. - She also fights us when there's teeth cleaning involved, but loves those dental chews. Any suggestions on oral hygiene would be appreciated as well!

You're going to need to condition her to know that nail clipping brings good things. Whether it's clicker training or otherwise you'll have to reward all parts of the procedure. Start gradually, and do it often. Practice just picking her feet up, reward if she's calm. Mess with her toes, reward if she's calm. Hold her foot and hold up the nail clipper, reward if she's calm. Etc. You'll have to give her lots of time, rushing the procedure will only enforce her nervous behavior.

Kikopup has a nice video on training for calm nail clipping: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHgBvnQ71ss

Edit to add a response to mjgrant: I also don't have to trim my pup's nails. But our Standard Poodle never needed his nails trimmed until he turned 7 or 8 when his activity level changed and his nails became harder. It may not be necessary to trim now, but they have to be able to have their feet handled. Some day they likely will need their nails trimmed, or perhaps they have a thorn in their foot and you have to pull it out. It's just a skill they need to have.

This may be a weird answer to some, but I have a dog who developed real issues with her nails being clipped. I did everything I was supposed to do, slow conditioning, followed some great video tutes and still it was hard. She would get so upset, it took 2 of us and I hated dealing with it. My other dogs were fine, she was not.

Years before I used to dremel nails, but my dremel died and I hadn't gotten a new one. I decided to dremel again for other reasons, and I will darned if that dog doesn't just lay down and let me dremel them with no issues. Seriously, from two people holding her and her fighting and being all stressed to a dog who is laying on her back, on my lap, relaxed and allowing me to dremel every foot.

So I guess she hated the snap of the clippers, but is content to allow a buzzy dremel.

Just something to consider.

Two things: Don't try to do them all at once. Our vet described it to as "Do a little bit of one nail each day", and I think that's a great way to do it at the beginning. It stops it from turning into a huge deal with cutting all the nails, because then she'll start associating it with being a huge deal.

Second thing, use something she really likes and hold it between your fingers as one person clips. Let her get really focused on licking and nibbling and getting at it as you pick up a paw, clip a nail, and then give her the treat. If you do it quickly and she really likes the treat, it's no fuss.

Obviously these are tips meant for pups, so your first priority is figuring out why she's suddenly changed her mind about nail clipping (if there is a concrete reason anyways), but in the meantime treating her as if it's her first time can't hurt.

My older female hates having her nails dremeled. She doesn't mind the clippers but she has dense black nails and I've quicked her a couple times. Anyway, during the very slow process of reconditioning her to the dremel I made a scratch board. It's just a 12x20 board with coarse sandpaper glued to it. I taught her a dig command and off she went. It has helped keep them under control. I do keep an eye on her pads, so the sandpaper doesn't damage them.

We've tried all the distractions and they're forgotten as soon as the nail clippers come out. And she's okay with her paws being touched and handled, but those clippers come out and she panics.

The dremel might be an option...She's terrified of things that buzz (my Jawbone UP band, cell phone on vibrate, vacuum, etc.), but perhaps if she realizes it doesn't hurt, she'll behave.

I'll start on the little bit each day, even if I can only get one clip in before she bolts. Maybe she'll realize I'm not trying to kill her. The way she's fighting, you'd think she was fighting off a bear.

How much time does your dog spend outside and what activities do you do that there's no need to clip the nails? She has a doggie date tomorrow with another dog and we're going to let them run free in the tennis courts, maybe that will help.

How much time does your dog spend outside and what activities do you do that there's no need to clip the nails? She has a doggie date tomorrow with another dog and we're going to let them run free in the tennis courts, maybe that will help.

She doesn't spend too much time outside running on concrete, maybe 15-30 minutes. My BC is a fetch maniac, so she doesn't even realize that she is helping herself file her own nails.