BC Boards

Training tips for toy obsession?

We have a 7-month-old spayed female who is obsessive about any type of ball or frisbee. (She started creeping at them when she was a few months old.) When we put the toy away, she's starting to whine and yip at the drawer, cabinet or closed door. Is there any kind of training we need to do now to make sure this intensity doesn't get out of hand?

Mine get tossed (not literally, of course) outside, in their crate or told to stay on their bed if they become annoying by pestering me, whining for something I have already said no to.

My process.

They ask.

I say no.

They ask again.

I say no more firmly.

They ask again.

I offer fair warning ... "You will have to go (outside/to crate/ to bed) if you keep on about it."

They ask again.

I do the thing I threatened to do.

If it was crate or bed and they keep whining, they go outside.

Rinse and repeat.

All very calm and everyday-like. No anger, no frustration - just a simple cause and effect until they learn it.

Hope that helps. And YMMV, of course.

Don't reward her with the toy or play when she acts like that. Don't allow her to stay by the toys and fuss which allows her to practice the unwanted behaviors and obession. Call her away and redirect her. I have always put Quinn's fetch toys up, when not in use and they are stored out in the garage where we don't hang around. He has different toys to play with by himself or chew on when we are in the house.

When she learns that whining and yipping do not get her what she wants, she'll stop. But it is important to never give in. Intermittent rewards can create very ingrained behaviors. Good luck!

I'm with Liz. Our fetch toys live in a box on the porch. Inside, she has the option of things to chew and to play tug with the other dogs with but if it's a ball or frisbee, it's not allowed inside. She'll get a little annoying once in a while if I'm outside with her and we're not playing ball but an 'all done' cue has helped that enormously.

Basically I tell her we're 'All done' with whatever (training, playing, fetch) and then walk away. No amount of nagging after that point will get her to do anything. So she's learned those words mean it's over and to move on.

I have a small toy chest where I keep all that stuff. Sometimes when the lid is on, Cowboy will lay down next to it and stare at it. . .the moment he whines he gets a "shush" command. One thing that has helped a lot is that I taught my dogs, once play time is over, to put the toy(s) back into the chest. I praise their completion of the task and then put the lid back on. It seems to satisfy them that toy time is over, and they go about without any complaints.

Oh and you should likely NOT do this, if you are not training for ball obsession:post-15360-0-92234100-1415648778_thumb.jpg