BC Boards

Cleveland, OH Dog Parks/Activities

Can anyone in Cleveland, OH recommend good places to take a 6 mo. old puppy to play? I know there are a few dog parks, but I don't know what they're like. I've heard some of them are pretty dirty and run down, but where are the nice ones?

There are some dog friendly places around that you wouldn't expect, but we're looking for fun outdoor activities.

Nano Brew on W. 25th is happy to allow dogs on the back porch and The Wine Bar in Rocky River does a Doggie Brunch on Sundays during the Summer into early Fall. Most Quaker Steak & Lube places will bring you a water dish if you sit on their patios with your pup too! Obviously, these places only let the dogs onto the patios since there are ordinances about animals indoors with the food, so we're out of ideas for cold weather fun.

~Moosikins

I'm no fan of dog parks - they can be dirty, you can run into dogs that are not nice or are clueless, you can run into owners that are not nice or are clueless, and so on.

Your dog will be happiest doing *something with you* so whether you choose to walk or train or go somewhere where dogs are welcome (we like Lowe's and our local dog supply store), the important thing is that you are doing things together. Even a walk is a good time for training, learning to deal with distractions, stopping at the curb, passing by others politely, meeting and greeting strangers.

I stay in touch with the dog sports people at my club. That opens up a lot of opportunities for activities to take dogs to - as spectators. Check to make sure but a lot is open to leashed spectator dogs and that can be good exposure/socialization and a lot of fun to watch.

Do you know of any groups on here that might meet up to let the dogs play? We'd love to have more dogs for Callie to be able to play with, and meeting other like-minded people would be great too!

I wonder if it's possible to create geography-based interest groups...Do you think people would be interested?

Do you know of any groups on here that might meet up to let the dogs play? We'd love to have more dogs for Callie to be able to play with, and meeting other like-minded people would be great too!

I wonder if it's possible to create geography-based interest groups...Do you think people would be interested?

You just described meetup.com

I first learned about the site after running into a lady and her dog on a trail at one of our county owned forests. She said she was waiting for her hiking group meet up. Our area has some very active, fun sounding groups of all kinds-dog meet ups, hiking, gaming, crocheting, really anything.

Caveat: I haven't lived in Cleveland since 2000, but I grew up there. My info may be outdated.

Holden Arboretum. No off-leash, but great for walks.

Metroparks!! They're all over & around Cleveland. Tons of trails, etc. Some, especially by Chagrin Valley, had off-leash trails, but PLEASE make sure you have voice control over your dog. The dog trails are often also horse trails. I spent a good chuck of my teenage years riding those trails.

These are both more east-side oriented- sounds like you may be on the west side- but they're an easy drive on a weekend.

Callie loves the Metroparks, especially if there's access to the river to splash around in. We don't let her off leash because she's only 6 months old and has very selective hearing, but we do have a 30 ft leash that we let drag behind so we can catch her if necessary.

@NorthfieldNick: We'll have to check out Holden Arboretum!