BC Boards

Cute 11-month old BC mix for adoption (currently in Omaha, soon to be in Des Moines)

I'm currently (temporary) fostering a cute little border collie mix named Keela for our local BC Rescue (Nebraska Border Collie Rescue). The exact mix is unknown, but if I had to guess I would say a BC x Lab. She is so sweet, loves people, other dogs, mostly leaves my cat alone (will give chase if the cat runs, otherwise not). She has medium-high energy, a high toy drive and loves to play.

She came in as an owner-surrender to a shelter. The owners surrendered her because they said she has too much energy for apartment life. They couldn't figure out why she was losing hair on her backside and why she was so skinny. :wacko: Turns out she had flea dermatitis, and likely tape worms from the fleas. She has since been treated for both and is bouncing back quickly. In my opinion, based on her condition and temperament, I would guess that the previous owners just don't know how to take care of dogs, let alone a Border Collie!

Despite a rocky start, she is highly intelligent and is learning new things quickly.She is very agile and sure-footed and would make an excellent agility or flyball prospect as she is very fast! She is smaller than average so might be good to lower the heights on the jumps for a flyball team (maybe? I don't know enough about the rules)

She would love another dog to play with, but would also probably do nicely on her own. I don't think she's up on the website yet, but if you are interested, just let me know or send a message through the website.

BTW, Keela is a celtic name that means "beauty that can only be expressed through poetry". :)

post-2698-0-92946900-1415128222_thumb.jpg

I'm so sad, just found out that Miss Keela has heartworm. :( So it will be a few months before she is available for adoption. She will be going back to Kansas City, which is where she came from, for the treatment and then I'm not sure if she will be adopted from there or come back into our rescue. Regardless, if anyone is interested in her, let me know and I can get you in touch with the person currently taking care of her.

She really is an awesome little dog. If we had a bigger house I would seriously want to keep her!

Look at that happy little tail wagging!!

post-2698-0-26278500-1415371821_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Soooooo... turns out the Keela actually doesn't have heartworms! Great news for this little girl! She will be coming back into our rescue again, I won't be fostering her because she jumped my 4 ft fence. Fighting cats on the other side of the fence were just TOO TEMPTING and she was standing in my square foot garden (so about 8" or so above the ground) and easily made it over the fence. Luckily she jumped into my neighbors fenced yard so she didn't go far. I sent my 10-yr-old daughter in to get her and she jumped BACK INTO our yard (this time with no 8" head start). I guess she liked it at our house and really didn't want to escape, just wanted to get the cats. (She was fine with my indoor cat, only chased her if she actually ran, but noisy, fighting cats were just too much.)

So, suffice it to say, this little girl is ATHLETIC. She has a super nice "off switch" though. Loves kids, loves other dogs, loves toys/balls, loves food (but is not food protective). Her biggest downfall is that she pulls BAD on leash, but that's easy enough to correct. She is potty-trained and crate trained.

Hopefully she'll be up on our rescue's website soon. Until then, feel free to contact me if you're interested in adopting her.