BC Boards

RUBBER PLAYGROUND MULCH

Linda, join the "marsh land club"!.. my backyard is so wet I think the ducks are gonna use it as a migration stop over!!! Hmmmm Phoenix oughta like that! And this wks snow just melted and either more snow or heavy rain tonight!!!! With 3 dogs and a doggy door, ooooh double YUK! I should be able to grow grass on my carpet by spring!!!!!!! LOL (to keep from crying!)

JoeAnne Mirra Sitka Phoenix and crew

Last year I posted a similar question. If you search this topic with "alternative agility field" and you'll see some possible answers to the question of agility surfaces.

I did get some good answers and ended up completing an "Agility field of dreams", as she calls it, for my wife.

In very brief detail: We brought in a professional excavator with Bulldozer to level off the land and provide a drainage angle. We tended up bringing in fill dirt to supplement. We then put down gravel dust at a thickness of about 4 to 6 inches. Finally, we then spread about 4-6 inches of double cut wood mulch. I finished it off by fencing it in, to an official size. Posts are at a ten ft distance, and numbered, to provide assistance when building or designing courses.

It has been a fantastic field. Never mushy, and best of all low maintenance. When the grass in our yard is wet and/or mucky, which is a lot lately here in Va., the field is always good to go.

To answer the original question, this is only one suggestion. It is nothing you can do tomorrow, but in the long run it is a permanent solution to wet, mucky, slippery conditions.

I'll can post pictures if any one is interested.

Dan

Bob, All, try this link. Hopefully it'll work.

The pictures of the dogs are to better show the field and fencing. We have not replaced mulch but plan to supplement annualy. We are told the hardwood mulch is pretty durable. Best of all this is that I don't have to move equipment to mow! It is also low impact on the dogs.

Dan

web page

Hi Dan,

The pictures look great! Can you tell me what kind of wood mulch you are using? Where I live, I can probably get a combination of soft and hardwoods. Did you buy it commercially?

Thanks

Kris, the double shredded was available from any local landscaper here. I would imagine you could get superior hardwood mulch in Canada. Ours is kinda stringy. It has packed down nicely and given a soft, yet firm surface for the dogs to run on. Should you do similar, putting down the gravel dust was absolutely essential. It provides a nice firm base while draining away the water. It would be muddy, mucky mulch without.

Dan

I'm hoping to do something along those lines. My intention is to build a full size agility area since I have the space to do so. The soil in the fields is very heavy clay so I would definitely need to put the drainage etc. I do have a good source for getting the proper gravel, etc. but will need to find a good source for the mulch. It was hard to see how coarse the mulch was in the pictures. I have plenty of time to plan...since we're likely to have snow on the ground until mid-April :rolleyes:

If I have more questions, I'll post here so everyone can get the benefits

I think this is my ideal solution Forever Lawn. I have always joked that I would love to put in fake grass. Never have to cut it, run the sweeper on it from time to time and you're good to go lol. No more mud tracked in, grass always green and beautiful, instead of the mud hole I currently have. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be available in my area yet.