BC Boards

Training question - are the skills interchangeable - goose dog

I am curious - are the techniques and skills that are trained when working sheep fundamentally different that what would be needed to train a 'goose' dog?

In my neck of the woods, there are far more geese that need working than sheep so it might be a way for me to work Flint AND retire sooner :)

We had turkeys today. Wild turkeys. Must have been about 25-35 in the flock (technically a rafter). They glided down from a tree they like, and strutted across our practice field as if they owned it.

I was waiting to see how my border collie would react. But nothing. She remained right on task as we practiced outruns, not giving them a second look. She is a sheepdog, evidently having no interest in becoming a turkey dog. I would guess we could have violated a dozen laws if she had decided to chase after -- or to fetch them.

The videos of goose work I have seen involve the dog chasing them off. As mentioned above, one of the important sheepdog jobs, fetching, is no part of it. My understanding is that a resident goose flock can learn to stay away from certain areas, for instance: airports, docks, beaches, golf courses. Be sure to look into local laws.

Goose dog work is important and $valuable$ to certain land owners. I bet Flint would love it. While controlling geese involves canine instincts, IMO the job is quite different from stockwork. Although, parts of the prey drive may be in common to both tasks. -- TEC

We've trained some goose control dogs, everything was the same, we have used our own open dogs for goose control. The dogs we were training were not expected to "chase", more crowd until the geese wanted to leave the area. Out in a open field the gather will often be enough to send the geese into flight, just decide which way you want the geese to fly off and send the dog to the opposite side.

Water can be a little trickier as the geese evade the dog, some will assist with a kayak or remote controlled boat holding a side and crowding toward one area, others may use more then one dog. Basically putting pressure on until the geese move/leave.

also, can take a courageous dog, when we were in Indiana the geese had some nests, the geese were protective and actually attacking the dogs, both our dogs just kept pressure on, the geese would honk and here come a few more pairs, like calling in reinforcements. That situation would be no place for a weak dog. Didn't take a lot to convince the geese that they were not going to chase off these dogs, Ricky made a move on one that was coming at him hissing, everyone took flight after that move.

We moved geese out of that area twice a day, by the third day the geese were leaving the moment they heard the dog trailer door open.

There are laws protecting nesting birds, I think Canada geese specifically and perhaps more species. Goose control, (and I have no intimate knowledge, just what I've read here and there) does involve putting pressure on the geese, even going in the water after them.

Goose control handlers need to know the laws protecting the birds, or they can get in trouble.

Ruth and SuperGibbs, who happens to be very interested in wild turkeys

See below. If you are going to do goose control work, you need to understand the laws governing harassment of federally protected species. For example, it is okay to addle eggs when they are being laid, but not to chase geese off active nests (i.e., nests with goslings), IIRC. Granted, if no one sees you, you might get away with it, but if you're running any sort of business, you better know what laws apply to the work you're doing (and never forget that the public does notice what you and your dogs are doing).

J.

There are laws protecting nesting birds, I think Canada geese specifically and perhaps more species. ... Goose control handlers need to know the laws protecting the birds, or they can get in trouble.

Ruth and SuperGibbs, who happens to be very interested in wild turkeys

Thanks everyone - my question really had to do with the training skills required for the dog and handler. Thanks Debbie for your insight with the training piece.

Just to be really clear - I have no intention of running off willy-nilly to harass the geese. I am thinking this might be a viable retirement job for me given the number of golf courses, beaches etc in my area. Should I decide to pursue this idea, I will, of course, follow the laws of our province/country. I was really trying to determine if training Flint and myself would require a different focus than with sheep.