BC Boards

Soft frisbee to start ????

Timmy

SHould his first intro to frisbee be with a soft disc or a conventional plastic one?? Do you all think 6 months is too early to start him with some very low impact 10 minute sessions a few times a week ??? He seems to love picking up the frisbee already almost as much as a tennis ball ????

Hi,

I think I asked a similar question when I first came to the boards. I can't remember how old my Maddie was at the time but I think she was younger than 6 months. Most people would probably say not only to introduce frisbee to your dog using one of the soft discs but to keep using the soft disc and avoid the plastic ones altogether.

Of course when really getting into the sport I don't know too much but I think they use plastic discs. I still think it's better to start off soft though.

Maddie is now 7 months and she LOVES her frisbee. More than anything, even other dogs at the park! I think most people would also say that 6-7 months is too young for a strenous game of frisbee. I find that only 30 minutes will tire out my girl BUT that is 30 mins of toss, do a few tricks for me and then I'll toss again.

I think 10-15 minutes should be okay, but like everyone says, to really wear out a pup try some mentally challenging activities.

Hope that helped a little

I have lots of available links on my other posts. and remember some tricks they just wont want to do. I was also told not to ever leave a frisbee laying around for them to chew on. Make it like a walk when you go toss frisbee with them, something they really want to do and love to do. I try to work in at the most a hour a day 4 times a week, but as long as I throw it say five minutes I give him a five minute water and rest break then.