BC Boards

My dog was a Swafford dog. Can anyone tell me what went on there?

Hi all, I've been waiting for a few days to get validated so I could ask about this. My BC, Toby, is 10 years old. He was a Swafford dog. I didn't know anything back then about buying from a reputable breeder, or anything about border collies for that matter. I was only a teenager and as luck would have it, the first breeder I inquired after didn't ask me any questions and put the dog I picked on the next truck headed this direction.

I didn't hear about the whole Swafford situation until last year and never really looked into it, but I found a few posts on here from people who seemed to know what had really happened there. So what happened? Were the dogs mistreated? Was it a puppy mill situation?

Toby is actually very healthy, even so for a border collie (knock on wood) he does not look or act 10, and whenever I bring him to the vet they comment that he looks more like a 3 year old. The only thing I would say was not quite right with him is that he's never had a typical border collie's energy. If I wanted to out of the blue run several miles or rollerblade with him, he'd do it easily, but if I don't feel like excersising him, he's content to lay around. When people tell me they really love his personality and want a border collie, I tell them he is a fluke and that they typically need a lot of exercise and training.

Anyways, I'm just surprised that he is so healthy considering the situation he came from ,and would like to know more about it if anyone knows anything. I hope I posted this in the right section.

This newspaper article pretty well sums up his history. He was also expelled from membership in the American Border Collie Association in 2004 for submitting false registration documents to the ABCA, for executing and delivering false registration applications to buyers of his dogs, and for "breeding practices and kennel conditions that were not conducive to accurate registration."

Sounds like you got a good healthy puppy from him, which can certainly happen in situations like this, luckily.

The confiscated Swafford dogs that came in to rescues a few years back were in deplorable condition. Anemic from biting fleas, open sores from fur matted with their own excrement. Some collapsed when the exited the crates they were shipped to the rescues in. All that I know of were shut down and terrified of humans

It was heartrending.

I visited Swafford's place twice and brought home one of his discarded stud dogs the second time. That dog spent the rest of his life with us. I also helped evaluate and tag for rescue many of the dogs that were confiscated after his large-scale operation was shut down.

If there is something specific you would like to know, I'm happy to answer your questions. But the article to which Eileen linked is a good overview.

I am glad your Toby is healthy and enjoying a good life!

I met a young dog that came from Swafford on one of the trucks, covered in fleas and terrified. Fortunately, he landed in a loving and caring family that was determined to do right by him and do everything in their power to help him become a happy dog. I was glad to help them understand him and learn some skills to help them to help him.

Yours, this one, and others who wound up in caring and understanding homes were the lucky ones. I'm glad to hear yours has done so well.

That's heartbreaking that those dogs were found in such awful conditions and treated so poorly. So many things came together for me when I was trying to sneak Toby home as a teenager that I always felt we were meant for each other. I wonder what kind of horrible life he might have had if I never brought him home. I'm grateful that he is healthy and happy considering.

I wish I could have helped those dogs. Did many of them find homes? Did some have to be euthanized? A few years from now when we own some land I would love to help dogs like these.

Thank you all for giving me some information, and thank you to those who helped some of those poor dogs!