BC Boards

a mutt by any other name is still a mutt

I've known and trained many Boxers and they are hell on wheels as puppies, such fun and unending energy, but totally different from the fun and unending energy of a BC. The thought of a Boxer/ BC puppy makes me LOL and cringe, both at the same time.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A fair price is one thing. I don't know that I think more than 400 is fair. And I agree, mutts aren't always healthier. I don't know that it's safe to breed large dogs to small dogs (corgi/gsd for one) but this is also the reason I don't breed. My knowledge of doggie genetics is pretty poor. I do the spay and neuter thing. And if it's a good dog, I don't much care who the great great grandsire is. So it's hard for me to justify that on a pup. I'm sure it's a big difference though for people who work their dogs or show them, mine are just family pets. Spoiled city dogs. I always did the rescue thing too. Layla is my first puppy. I wasn't trying to be offensive about the prices I won't pay haha.

I've known and trained many Boxers and they are hell on wheels as puppies, such fun and unending energy, but totally different from the fun and unending energy of a BC. The thought of a Boxer/ BC puppy makes me LOL and cringe, both at the same time.

Well, two pups make me cringe, but I have a pretty good sense of humor and lots of wine. My husband REALLY wants her. He wanted a boxer when we found our bc. I wanted a rottie. Layla stole us away the minute she crawled into my four year olds lap and licked her face. Now she's stuck as one of the kids forever and loves it.

I have been around many boxers, never met one I did not like, not on my list of dogs I would want to have myself, but I really don't have any problems or issues with them. They are really cute and funny. I have learned to steer clear of boxers with tails while they play, those things crack your legs like leather whips Ouch!

I have been around many boxers, never met one I did not like, not on my list of dogs I would want to have myself, but I really don't have any problems or issues with them. They are really cute and funny. I have learned to steer clear of boxers with tails while they play, those things crack your legs like leather whips Ouch!

Doberman Pinschers too. There's a reason they cut those tails off. Dunno why they never docked Great Danes. Their tails are a menace too, and not just to others. They're always injuring them.

Doberman Pinschers too. There's a reason they cut those tails off. Dunno why they never docked Great Danes. Their tails are a menace too, and not just to others. They're always injuring them.

Boxers, HPR dogs, spaniels, terriers, dobermanns, rottweilers, aussies, poodles, schnauzers etc - all breeds that do fine with the tails they were born with in countries where cosmetic docking is illegal. If tail injury were such a problem owners would be queuing round the block at their vets.

A friend's bc has a half dock following injury. Should they all be docked just in case?

And plenty of dogs can inflict a nasty bruise with their tails in their enthusiasm. Do we declaw dogs in case they scratch us? Remove their teeth in case hey catch us with them?

Layla has left a bruise or two on my legs and the kids in her excitement. She also clears a table if low enough lol. I don't agree with cosmetic docking or cropping ears. This pup has her tail docked but her ears are normal. Her dew claws are also removed. She's quite the cutie. I may have to snatch her up if Layla likes her.

post-16687-0-85022400-1413989738_thumb.jpgpost-16687-0-40121900-1413989751_thumb.jpeg

And bc's are prone to hip dysplaia and seizures. All breeds have issues. Didn't stop me from owning a bc. I think I'm pretty set on her. Thinking about it for a week. She will be living with us on November 12th whem she's 8 weeks old. Provided Layla likes her of course though she has never had an issue with another dog before.

The BC has a considerably longer average life span than the Boxer though because conditions that crop up in the BC breed are less likely to result in early death.

(I admit that average life spans don't really tell you much without knowing the reason for death. Could be that a significant number of BCs are euthanised for behavioural reasons or just generally considered more disposable which brings the average down without affecting physical health for example).

Is this breeder wanting money from you for their mistake? Not something I would personally encourage.

I guess at the very least the breeder will want to cover the totally unnecessary mutilation of the pups by cutting off their tails and removing dew claws that are useful to the dog. Again, not something I would encourage.

You may be lucky, both sides of the make up may be healthy or the healthier half may predominate.

Average life span of a BC is 12 - 13 (although considerably older is not uncommon). Golden Retriever 11. A friend's mix of the two is a lively 16.

Has Layla been around female adult boxers at all?

That would be a concern of mine, having had two dogs now who just hated boxers on principle even though both of them got along nicely with dogs in general.

Root beer brings up a good point, as some border collies tend to be breed snobs. My puppy will gladly play with border collies, but put another breed in front of her and she wants NOTHING to do with them. Lyka on the other hand will play with anything on 4 legs, but then again she may be a mix.

Does Layla ever play with other breeds of dogs? Or will she have a chance to meet the puppy before you bring it home?

Mom24dog, that was pretty harsh. I don't condone mutilating dogs or animals for the matter. I don't even have my cats declawed for the only reason that I felt it was unecessary and mean. I don't believe in cosmetically changing a dogs appearance. And the breeder only wants 50 a pup to cover the vetrinary costs. It's a mutt. Not a papered pooch. It was not our choice to have those things removed. They were done before we had even known they existed. He simply wants homes where they will be treated well and cared for.

On another note Layla has played with everything from dobermans to teacup chiuauas. She's convinced the only reason god made other dogs and people were to play with and pet her. Not a snobby bone in her body unless I offer her well water to drink. She will be brought to meet the puppy before bringing her home. I would never bring home a puppy without Laylas approval. I have no interest in a disaster. Though I don't imagine a problem there. She's too friendly and can often be obnoxious with her desire to play with everyone.

some border collies tend to be breed snobs.

Border collies do tend to be breed snobs, ime. But also ime, they do quite well with other breeds in their own households.

This pup will not only be only 1/2 not border collie, but it will be coming in as a puppy. Unless there's inter-bitch aggression when she grows up, I have no doubt they'll be just fine with each other.

Border collies do tend to be breed snobs, ime. But also ime, they do quite well with other breeds in their own households.

This pup will not only be only 1/2 not border collie, but it will be coming in as a puppy. Unless there's inter-bitch aggression when she grows up, I have no doubt they'll be just fine with each other.

All of this.

Also that is a STINKING cute puppY!

When I get a puppy I expect that they will be up to date on shots and worming so I wouldn't expect to get even a mutt for free. In your position I would take Layla to see if she gets along with the puppy and make your decision.

I have a 90lbs. GSD and my BC is only 27lbs. Sometimes my GSD does not want to play with the puppy and all I have to do is tell Nattie "That's enough" and she will go find something else to do. Every once in a while I think it would be fun to get another puppy because I think Nattie would really like to have a young dog to play with. However, I think my husband might just pack his bags and go if another pet came into the house!

Molly, thankfully, has her pick of the Boston Terrier or GSDX to be a lunatic with. Which is good because they get sick of her in turns. The RT and Kylie just ignore her existence with every fiber of their beings.

She's great with all of them in house. Out?

NO. NO NO NO. She does not particularly like other dogs and has zero tolerance for ridiculous play. Huge disparity between how she acts with our dogs and other dogs.

What a cute puppy!!! I don't particularly love Boxers, but I would have a hard time passing up that super cute face.

When it comes to seeing if Layla will get along with the pup remember that first impressions can be misleading.

Tess has spent the last 48 hours beings complete b**** to my new puppy. Today however she's decided that he's pretty cool and she's spent all day loving on him and playing with him. I knew Tess would pout for awhile but would warm up.

So, it's also important to know your dog.

When I get a puppy I expect that they will be up to date on shots and worming so I wouldn't expect to get even a mutt for free. In your position I would take Layla to see if she gets along with the puppy and make your decision.

I have a 90lbs. GSD and my BC is only 27lbs. Sometimes my GSD does not want to play with the puppy and all I have to do is tell Nattie "That's enough" and she will go find something else to do. Every once in a while I think it would be fun to get another puppy because I think Nattie would really like to have a young dog to play with. However, I think my husband might just pack his bags and go if another pet came into the house!

I know this exact feeling! I love animals, but my DH told me with Lily she is the last pet. I'm only allowed to get fish now. :D

Layla hangs out with my mom's beast a lot and she is a super breed snob with a serious napoleon complex. Layla is really submissive and has been always. Which is why they get along even though Layla is a bit bigger than the beagle mutt(i think it's chow and besenji the rescue she got her from just said beagle mix) We would spend a couple hours to make sure they are okay though. We only had our pick between two females and the hubby wanted this one. I picked Layla. My "I'm having baby fever and it's a puppy or baby" dog lol. I would never expect a dog for free. At four weeks old though they're just finding their own personalities.