BC Boards

May I just say

That in the age of the insidious and superficial Facebook I really appreciate the fact that so far this board has managed to retain the attention of intelligent and informed contributors who provide the opportunity for the sort of meaningful discussion impossible in the sound bite world of social media.

We may not always agree and the number of active members has diminished but we are still hanging on in there.

I agree, mum24.

And further, there are quite a number of people on these boards who have interesting ideas AND can actually express them well in writing. That is, sadly, becoming more and more unusual in the world, especially the world of the internet. It is one of the things I love about these forums. Thanks to all of you for being here.

Agreed. Many thanks to all the active members who create the interesting discussions (including yourself, Mum24dog!)

I think it becomes somewhat of a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you have a community where people are informed, they will inform the new members. If you can read writing of those who can express themselves well, you are more likely to learn to do so yourself, and put more effort into your posts.

A board where everyone always agreed would probably be a board where people didn't care enough to disagree. No two people will have exactly the same opinion on any subject they're informed on and impassioned about- even if it's just a disagreement as to how the subject should be presented.

On a personal note- thank you everyone for letting me hang around as a non-border-collie person. I really appreciate it. Edit: it's a good specific example of what Sue R said about it being a civil place for newbies and people of all experience levels.

I don't know what the median age of BC Boards users is, but this is the ONLY forum that I go to with any regularity at all. Because it's the only forum I've been to that has a majority of mature and civil posts. Pretty incredible, considering the fervor with which views are held.

I agree with D'Elle's assessment of the quality of posts. Very few unreadable, grammatically impoverished and acronym-ridden posts. Most people can spell, construct a readable sentence and have something worth saying - and take the effort to say it well.

I agree! Thank you all. I was a little skeptical when I found this forum, but it seems most of the people here are legitimately trying to help. I like that there aren't really people who just talk everyone else down, instead you try to educate confused people.

Nicely said, mum. I agree. This is my longest running membership of any kind, I think. Maybe except AAA.

The discussions are civil and well-presented, the topics fairly wide ranging. I always check the livestock care forum. Even though I don't have anything resembling livestock, I enjoy reading about the care and husbandry of same.

Thanks for pointing this out. It puts a smile on my face!

Ruth and SuperGibbs

The discussions are civil and well-presented, the topics fairly wide ranging. I always check the livestock care forum. Even though I don't have anything resembling livestock, I enjoy reading about the care and husbandry of same.

This is why I own more than one book on the diseases and management of sheep (and horses, and one on dairy cattle). Outdated books, too, usually pre-1910. My secret vice. :ph34r:

I also continue to read this forum because of the discussions - whether I agree or not, and sometimes they alter my views. I must say that the majority of my dog knowledge has been gained from these boards - the discussions, the anecdotes and the suggested readings. For someone who has an average of only 2 dogs at a time, I could never hope to gain the experience and knowledge of the collective wisdom on these boards.

Edited to add: ....I could never hope to gain, on my own, the experience and knowledge of the collective wisdom on these boards.

It's very sad but but one of my erstwhile favourite UK agility discussion forums has rapidly deteriorated into a site for simply posting show schedules following the formation of a fb page aimed at the same audience.

So sad because the fb option takes dumbing down to new depths in terms of trivia. This board is my last refuge.

This forum has been a great help to me as a first time Border Collie owner. The advice has always been carefully presented and in considerable detail. It is clear that the contributors are sincere Border Collie lovers who want to see others enjoy the breed. What really amazes me is how respectful people are of contrasting philosophies. All that said, this forum is a great source of entertainment. There is always something interesting being presented.

Thanks

Bill

I agree, their is a wealth of information shared here, from all walks of life. Not everyone's opinions are the same, though that's what makes the world go round, we all see and do things in our own unique way but in the end we are all in agreement that we want to do what is in the best interest of the dogs. I have gotten some wonderful advice and ideas here that have helped me greatly.

I am very appreciative to everyone here! I did join a couple fb groups, met some very nice people through them, they were service dog related groups. I left every single service dog group that I joined on fb for one simple reason, their are far too many mean and hateful people there who just seem to find it fun to pick on and publicly ridicule others in postings to the point that they go on and on and cant stop following those poor people from group to group, seeing that made me sick to my stomach. The attacks were not on me thankfully but still I don't need the drama or stress I have to stay 100% focused on being positive my health depends on it. :)

Dear Fellow Posters,

I particularly appreciate those gentle folk who, time after time, answer beginners' most basic questions: should I crate train my puppy? how do I housebreak her? what do I do if she mouths my hand?

We were all beginners once, trying to do our best with a non-human species who did so many things without apparent ryhme or reason.

I also value those, like Ms. Mum24dogs, with whom I frequently disagree. Their thoughtfulness, expertise and courtesy have modified some of my long-held, illfounded opinions.

Donald McCaig

Ditto to all the sentiments expressed here .

A thread that seems to have provoked unanimous agreement from individuals who sometimes ( or often) politely disagree with each other.

I certainly enjoy this board and learn plenty from reading other people's perspectives.

One skill often sadly lacking nowadays is the ability to consider issues rationally and critically. I don't think it's any coincidence that those who can do that also express themselves clearly. The two skills are codependent; the need for clear expression demands clarity of thought processes and clarity of thought needs clear expression.

Thanks for bringing this up. I've had friends remark that this was one of the most civil boards they've seen even during heated discussions. It is my go-to for information about a number of things. It is a great resource for newbies and people of all experience levels.

Compared to many sites, it's not about ego, it's truly about the dogs.

I believe that one of the sources of this forum's strength is that it is built on a clearly stated philosophy, Eileen's famous "READ THIS FIRST" post. Having that strong backbone has kept the beast on track all these years. Thank you, Eileen, for all the work you've put into it. I can't imagine a better forum moderator. Yes, we take our border collies seriously!

I have abandoned all forums - most of which were dying a natural death - except this one.

I like the variety of backgrounds and points of view that everyone here comes from. I may have butted heads painfully with most of you over something at some point, but we share a common passion for these dogs - even if for different reasons - and a lot of us have hung in through some really intense discussions.

I know I've learned a ton and I appreciate everyone here. How boring would it be if we were all the same?

And this is one of the few places on the internet I can express disagreement or a really radical point of view and not be written off as a "hater" for being different. I appreciate that. Disagree with me all you want . . . just discuss the disagreement intelligently. You all do that.

This is the one forum that I've kept up with since I first joined. I seem to go in spurts - posting questions - and then long spells where I just read what's happening. If I do reply, I hope that the information I'm sharing has been useful to the poster. I certainly have found a great deal of useful information from these boards.

I do follow Facebook but it's one of the few places where I can keep track of my daughter and Ladybug's escapades in Finland :)

Kudos as well to Eileen and Heather!