BC Boards

What's your ideal border collie look like?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't love the merle colouring all that much, to be honest. I'm not sure why it's usually considered prettier than the black and white. Lots of dogs have colouring similar to merle, but the classic black and white of a border collie is pretty much restricted to the breed.

Haha, it obviously depends where you live.. here, merle is pretty odd and people even think it's scary and some downright ugly (different eye colour or colour patches in one eye especially etc). My mix has some border collie in her mother heritage, mum is a blue merle bc mix, and most puppies had different or sprinkled eyes and some or most merle coat (well, except my Kali, she's all black and white and brown eyes). I don't have to mention how hard they were to adopt. I've noticed merle is pretty popular in America though so I guess it depends on what people are used to seeing. :)

I never wanted a merle. LOL!! I still don't consider myself a merle person.

When we talked about getting a puppy this past winter, my husband wanted to look for a merle and I was like, "whaaaaat?" LOL!! It really took me by surprise. (Obviously, I won that debate and we both think our classic black and white boy is nothing short of perfection).

I think Dean is gorgeous. I love to look at him. But . . . he's my Dean Dog. I also think Emily's Ella is one of the most beautiful Border Collies I've ever seen in my entire life, and I have seen a lot of merles I like the looks of.

But . . . I'm still not really a merle person.

If looking or a rescue dog, I would not pass on a dog who is clearly a perfect match just because he or she is a merle . . . obviously! But when I am looking at rescue websites I am always drawn to those long coats and black faces.

We just had relatives over from Saanich and we've been to Victoria several times. Know the island well.

Will pm you about importing.

Haha....that's interesting. Grew up right in the heart of Saanich. I sure do miss it despite living here in a pretty nice part of Japan.

Thank you again for the link. I'll need to research the quarantine restrictions for each country to Japan. I'm pretty sure Canada and Japan have a no quarantine needed policy but other countries......??

Ella says thanks, Kristine! I know what you mean. I wasn't looking for a merle when I got her and I still don't really like them, most of them just look "wrong" to me. Especially the red merles, I see them as unhealthy or an oddity, at the least. I am biased I'm sure and do find Ella to be a purdy girlie!

Yeah, that ^^^ I wouldn't pass on a rescue merle that was obviously the right dog for me. But I'd prefer Tri, B&W or R&W. With a split face...

<<<HaHaHa!! That's what I got, but it wasn't what I wanted.

Must be at least 10 years ago I saw a photo of a short coated wall eyed blue merle tri called Jester on a rescue site. Everything I don't like and yet...... There was just something in the eyes.

If I had been able to have another dog at the time I would have at least enquired about him.

my preference changes all the time lol. I leab towards Black Tri, B/W and Red and white. any coat length. ears I prefer perked or mismatched. I don't like deep stops. markings.. I don't like symmetry, I heavily lean towards dogs with asymmetrical markings.

my own dogs..

Misty(RB)-I would consider her one of my ideals, I think she was one of the most stunning dogs in the world, I may be biased, but I'm not alone in thinking she was a stunning dog, people used to stop, and gasp and point and stare everytime I took her for a walk. before her, I would have no "absolutly not" to a smoothie.

Misty5_zps015ce920.jpg

c12250c2.jpg

IMG_0210.jpg

Happy-as much as I love her to pieces, I do not look at Happy and think "wow, what a good looking dog" lol. i'm not saying I think she is ugly by any means, but I do think there are a lot of dogs more visually attractive to me then she is

DSC_0178.jpg