BC Boards

What's your ideal border collie look like?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Olivehill- it is amazing how much prettier a dog, of any breed, looks to me if it's being well-behaved and calm in busy situations off-lead, or if it copes well with a difficult social situation. I find myself sitting up and thinking 'wow, there's something really nice about that dog's colour or something, I wonder what it is?'

MY ideal, though ... If I could push a few buttons and get a border-collie-to-order ... it would be a medium-coated tri with minimal white, and a dark head but bright copper on the cheeks and eyebrows. Bitch or dog would be fine, any sort of ears fine, too. I just love me a dark copper tri with eyebrows. :wub:

~ Gloria

Throw in a few spots on the nose and we have the same taste. Like others for me it is about the character, I do like boys better than girls, and I really do have a soft spot for Tris with eyebrows but that is because I have had three, and only the first one was chosen, the other two came to me through rescue site unseen.

I've seen a few amazingly ugly border collies become a cliched pure poetry in motion -- absolutely stunning -- when they work.

When it comes down to it, that'll always be my favored look.

The two prettiest dogs i have ever seen were walking down a Scottish road. They were tall with long rough coats. Black with beautiful white markings. Prick ears. They were gorgeous. I am partial to black and white rough coats with a lot of white. Or any wonderful working dog doing it's thing. When they are working i don't notice what they look like.

I think Rook is one of the cutest puppies I have ever seen (can't remember his owners screen name).

Rook says, "Thanks!" too :)

IMG_9611_edited-1.jpg

I have always loved split faces and blue eyes and freckles or ticking but also the small, slinky, smooth, tri prick ear look. I find it so interesting that I have ended up with a great mix of some of that in Rook. He was the last male pup left in the litter when I found his breeder so it was just meant to be.

I do believe what is most attractive is a good, working BC doing what they've been bred to do. Time will tell if I get to see Rook in that setting or not...

Oh, and he's still working on that prick ear thing ;)

IMG_9645.jpg

Upon further consideration, I believe that the handsomest Border Collie I have ever seen would be Betty Gillis's Stella. And I present the evidence for this contention in the form of a photo by Betty herself.

post-10533-0-51503600-1413753091_thumb.jpg

Blue eyes and indescribable coat notwithstanding (or possibly because of) She is possibly the handsomest dog of any kind I've ever seen!

Upon further consideration, I believe that the handsomest Border Collie I have ever seen would be Betty Gillis's Stella. And I present the evidence for this contention in the form of a photo by Betty herself.

attachicon.gifStella & the Karakuls 4.jpg

Blue eyes and indescribable coat notwithstanding (or possibly because of) She is possibly the handsomest dog of any kind I've ever seen!

The epitome of jolie laide.

. Eyes that gleam with a desire to "do stuff" with me: gather livestock, fetch ball, run obstacles, whatever. Eyes that reveal the fire within. Eyes that show the desire to learn and work with me.

I'm with you on this, John!

I think working border collies are by far the most beautiful dogs in the world, no matter what they look like when they are not working. The sight of one doing a good job with sheep makes my heart sing.♥

I never thought I liked split-faced dogs until Jester came into my life and now I love split faced dogs. I was not especially partial to merle until Kelso came along and now I love merle.

No matter what I say I like, probably a dog will come along to make me change that, or at least add in another "type" to my list of what I like.

However, I will admit that I am partial to small size, shortish coat, long legs, and prick ears.

Well, if the pup comes from a working cross I like, then I feel like I get to choose based on those "other attributes," combined with just being the pup that "speaks" to me. I admit that I love tris--black or red, probably because my first (rescue) border collie was a black tri (and I love the rich, coppery brown too, even though it fades with age). I also prefer smaller dogs, smooth coats, and prick ears. Oh, and I do love heavy ticking. Someday I would love another red tri just because I love Kat (avatar) so much (and Jill was a great red dog too). I don't mind white faces or split faces, nor do I mind dark faces (though I suck at photographing them). I think sables are pretty, but I wouldn't actively seek one. I like white factored dogs, but again, that's not something I go deliberately seeking. Lots of people don't like all or mostly white, and there is a bias against red, but because I have a great mostly white working dog (my main work dog), I don't have a preference against them. And in fact, if you want a dog easy to see at a distance--he's the dog for you! I have people at trials tell me all the time that they couldn't really see where the sheep were, but they could see Pip, so knew where the sheep were. I could even see him at the top at Edgeworth, where my little red tri pretty much blended in with the brown grass....

So, yeah, if the dog works well (and in the way I like), then I will be forgiving on looks in general, but if there's no reason not to choose a look, then give me a small, smooth-coated tri, with big prick ears and some ticking. I even like medium (barely there medium coats), but prefer not to have a dog with a lot of coat. Eye color doesn't matter to me, but as someone else noted, I really don't like eyes that don't have black pigment around them in an otherwise white-faced dog.

That said, you can see in my sig line photo that I have had all sorts. They all manage to worm their way into my heart....

J.

I love them one and all, I did see an adorable little border collie pup the other day that was multi color all soft pastel like coloring she was adorable so tiny and fluffy, but I'd not trade my Gidget for her. I do love seeing a border collie in action, any size, any color, to me they are just the most beautiful sight to see when they are in true form the stance the gate just awesome! My love for a border collie runs deep!

attachicon.gifStella & the Karakuls 4.jpg

oh yeah, she is a stunner...

Our KC monthly magazine ran a photo competition with the winner featuring on the cover.

The winner - a shot of a short coated, prick eared tri sheepdog captured in action by the daughter of the farm where it works.

No point in their trying to pretend that all collies look like the above as far too many people know they don't.