BC Boards

The Ever Changing Puppy?

Ok, first question: At whatpoint do we see the adult coat?

When we first got Brody, his coat was white where there weren't black patches and he had freckles on his paws. He is now 13 weeks and the amount of black "freckles" coming through the white hair is staggering, and adorable of course. It looks like he's turning into a Dalmatiion!...LOL

We are going to hope that is NOT the mix he is by the way. Because can you even IMAGINE???

this was a week ago

20141007_180511.jpg

This is today

20141018_101839.jpg

The camera doesn't show as much as there is, but you get the idea. What you can see at his tail is what his back actually looks like.

Also his eyes are still green...will they stay that color at this point or is there still change waiting to happen?

Yeah, also that. I mean it starts changing from puppy fur but my little mutt lost her puppy fluff at 4 months and looked bald, started growing longer from there. From there it's just kept coming and she's 2.5. Let me see if I can find pictures, since it's just what I do.

4-41.jpg

Fluff. 8 weeks.

K7-2.jpg

Losing fluff - 12 weeks.

New.jpg

Bald - 4 months.

Kylie5.jpg

Growing out, 6 months. (mostly her tail features and tail)

K2_zps542567b1.jpg

K5-6_zps9b00c095.jpg

A year.

K3_zpsbd448aa2.jpg

18 months.

K_zps550a29da.jpg

2-ish - note the tail.

2_zps45d82f01.jpg22.5/ current. She grew an undercoat. (This is blow dried but still)

Full coat takes a while.

All of the gorgeous babies on this forum gosh! I love that tail! I swear if Brody's tail gets any longer he'll trip over it. I have never seen such a long tail on a dog before him. As much as I love watching him grow and change and hate how fast it's going, I want to see the end product...lol.

The green eyes surprised me though. That's the color I have never seen mentioned as normal except in Staffies. And sometime in the last week his chest dropped/deepened.

His coat as you can see is in an awkward phase...lol Some places it is practically transparent and you can see his puppy pink skin underneath. It's definitely getting longer, and I can see feathering coming in on his legs. He also has what looks like the beginnings of an airplane ear on one side...lol

Ticking is something that usually develops over time. Doesn't mean much, lots of bc come ticked. Adult coat usually comes in somewhere around 4 months, I believe.

I'd expect his eyes to stay green.

That's the word I was looking for. I knew it was common in BC's, I looked it up the other day, and found mottled in BC isn't something that shows fully at 8 weeks.

I'm somewhere between make him stop growing and changing so fast and make it faster!...lol

The gene for ticking is like the gene for spots in the dal. They are born without them too. Micah is lightly ticked and at 2 1/2 years, he has recently had 3 more show up. I don't know if they were there but I couldn't see them due to coat length, but right now I can see some that I haven't seen before.

My papillon is ticked (well my cattle dog mix is too but his is obvious). When her hair is full length you can't see it but when she was shaved for medical reasons she looked like a dalmatian. She's also 4 and still changing color since she's a receding tricolor. But she really got a lot of the ticking around 3-4 years old and I expect it will continue getting darker. I bet when your dog is fully coated you'll barely be able to see the ticking.

It's common in a lot of breeds. A lot of spaniels have ticking too.

I have been wondering about this myself. Gidgets pink on her nose has almost totally gone, she has golden eyes and a brown nose, the pink above her nose has all gone on one half only, her ticks some have grown, some new have come, her ears, don't even get me started on them crazy things lol. and her coat is growing longer in some places and not at all in others, Id say my poor little dear is defiantly at an awkward stage... her legs keep growing she needs to catch up to them haha.

At 16 weeks Risk's short coat is taking on a sheen that puppy coat doesn't have, and he has grown about half an inch of feathering on his front legs that I hadn't noticed before. Coat is still puppy soft.

IME the number of black speckles can increase throughout life.

Every day something new with a pup.

I have been wondering about this myself. Gidgets pink on her nose has almost totally gone, she has golden eyes and a brown nose, the pink above her nose has all gone on one half only, her ticks some have grown, some new have come, her ears, don't even get me started on them crazy things lol. and her coat is growing longer in some places and not at all in others, Id say my poor little dear is defiantly at an awkward stage... her legs keep growing she needs to catch up to them haha.

I think many, if not most, BCs are born with pink on their noses, even the ones that aren't ticked. Most of them fill in to whatever the base color is. And it's a good thing too. Pink noses are constantly in danger of sunburn.

Risk's coat is no longer puppy soft? I first noticed a bit of coarseness on his flanks and base of the tail a couple of days ago. Yesterday it had spread further forward and today it is more TNA halfway towards his neck. I think it will feel less bristly as it gets longer.