BC Boards

question on down to a single dog household

I'm not to stressed just was looking for what to expect. And yes I do plan on enjoying every minute. She is awesome and has been well cared for(decent food, chiro, massages, hasn't ever been sick or hurt) so good chance I have plenty of years left. She is still all there mentally and we still work on new tricks. :) Physically she has slowed down. Cant keep up on bike rides, slower on hikes, tires more easy, can't catch toys like she used too. She has been pretty spry till this last summer. She still is 110% spunk and sure of himself. I'm hoping I still have 5-6 years it is just nice knowing what to expect still. Thanks for the info. Guess we will cross that road when it happens.

Oh, I know that there are plenty of times when a dog dies and the other dog(s) in the household barely notice. When my old Jesse passed on last winter, the young ones were like, "Yeah, okay, he's gone." No biggie.

But SS Cressa did say that her dogs are close pals and that her young one "adores" his older sister, and in those circumstances I would anticipate some degree of mourning or depression by the surviving dog. In almost 30 years of dog ownership, we've witnessed it several times. Everyone's mileage will vary! :)

~ Gloria

I've never had dogs mourn each other. I think that may be because they are bonded to me not each other. They do play together and get along just fine.

A friend had two springer bitches and when the older one died the younger one watched her being buried, as if in triumph as described to me. After that she relished the extra attention she got.

My bitch was horrible to our bc when we got him 8 years ago and still doesn't like him. She is now 14 and is having to put up with a new pup. She doesn't like him either but he isn't too pushy with her and takes no for an answer.

When we have lost a dog in the past the others have barely noticed. The 4 adult dogs are paired by size but I'm pretty sure 3 of the 4 would adjust well to being an only dog if that meant they spent more time with me.

But SS Cressa did say that her dogs are close pals and that her young one "adores" his older sister, and in those circumstances I would anticipate some degree of mourning or depression by the surviving dog.

And I suspect it's more likely to be more pronounced when there are just 2 dogs in the home and one dies, leaving the other an only dog.

Did I miss something? Did something happen to Troy??? If so, I'd like to express my sympathy.

I've only ever had one dog - until recently, when I now find myself with three dogs. (I'm now known as the "crazy dog lady"). Our older dog was four years old when we introduced a puppy. It took him a while to accept it, and there have been some ups and downs. I'm not sure it would be fair to introduce a dog that's much older than this to a puppy.

I think the suggestion that you add a new dog every 2-4 years or so is probably a good one. (Unless you're happy with only one dog).

I rehomed Troy about a year ago. So I only have 2 dogs. :(

He just wasn't himself anymore and wasn't happy in my living situation at that time. Since I couldn't see the future and know when I would be able to move out. I found him a home that suited him. He is now an only dog at an active retired couples home.

And after I rehomed him Cress seem relived but a little more subdued. Troy really balance out Cressa. He was kind of like the rock that isn't scared of anything which always helped Cress out. He also always looked out for Cressa. Val didn't notice but he didn't really interact with Troy.

Did I miss something? Did something happen to Troy??? If so, I'd like to express my sympathy.

I've only ever had one dog - until recently, when I now find myself with three dogs. (I'm now known as the "crazy dog lady"). Our older dog was four years old when we introduced a puppy. It took him a while to accept it, and there have been some ups and downs. I'm not sure it would be fair to introduce a dog that's much older than this to a puppy.

I think the suggestion that you add a new dog every 2-4 years or so is probably a good one. (Unless you're happy with only one dog).

I've usually found that older dogs become more tolerant of pups. Our youngest dog has just bitten the pup on the nose, the other 3 have put up with him and shown no signs of aggression. Admittedly the youngest is nearly 9 but he was even less predictable when younger.

As for adding dogs at short intervals - been there, done that and never again. For me 5 year intervals would be optimum. A youngster to train, a dog in its prime and one with retirement on the horizon. I've never achieved that but it would have been nice.

I rehomed Troy about a year ago. So I only have 2 dogs. :(

He just wasn't himself anymore and wasn't happy in my living situation at that time. Since I couldn't see the future and know when I would be able to move out. I found him a home that suited him. He is now an only dog at an active retired couples home.

And after I rehomed him Cress seem relived but a little more subdued. Troy really balance out Cressa. He was kind of like the rock that isn't scared of anything which always helped Cress out. He also always looked out for Cressa. Val didn't notice but he didn't really interact with Troy.

Sad for you but best for all your dogs in the long run I'm sure. You wouldn't have taken the decision lightly.

Spacing them out seems the logical thing to do, but sometimes life interferes and you end up with dogs close together or far apart. I find myself with a bunch of aging dogs (14.5, 13, 8.5, 8, 8), a big gap and one youngster (1.5) coming along. I really need a second young dog to take over the work when the middle aged (the 8-year-olds) dogs get too old to do the work.

J.

I'm taking care of an older lab right now that just lost his buddy. I don't think he misses Ernie so much as he is just not used to being an only dog. There have always been other dogs until now. He doesn't seem to be mourning but he wants a lot of attention. I've been spending extra time over there with him but he seems to be doing fine.