BC Boards

Rescue Pups Vs. Breeder Pups

On the East Coast, I would check out Mid-Atlantic BCR and Blue Ridge BCR. Both get nice adults and sometimes pups or youngsters. Carolina BCR also always seems to have some very nice adults and sometimes youngsters, as well.

Mid-Atlantic is headquartered by Chestertown MD; Blue Ridge in Virginia (the folks I know are not far from Harrisonburg); and I'm not sure where Carolina is located.

I probably shouldn't have said "in my area" as that is a bit deceiving. I should have said that I am willing to take a week or two to drive somewhere for the right dog. I have driven up and down the east coast just recently with my family for about two weeks and I know that I would definitely do it again especially if I was choosing the right dog. My goal is to find a dog that will suit my lifestyle and that loves to run and play, so if that means driving for a couple days to find that dog its okay with me and I am willing to do it.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly if you aren't herding sheep or something of the like there is no reason to rule out a rescue pup. Is there a reason you want a pure breed border collie only?

I don't know if your area does anything like this, but my local shelters both do a program called spay momma. This program is where if you bring in a litter of puppies they will spay the mom and take the puppies off your hands at no charge. The puppies from those litters you will usually know what the mom is, which is how I got Lyka. I only know she is a minimum of half border collie.

It can also be kind of fun to get a dog that maybe looks like a border collie but acts like a golden retriever.

Odd question on a BC site.

I do agility and my daughter is extremely competitive and ends up running my dogs if they are any good. The chances of a random mix having the necessary responsiveness, athleticism and work ethic to reach the top level is not very high.

I've had my fill of dogs that need motivation, I just don't have the energy any more, and my daughter likes the way BCs work.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE border collies and having a pure border is great, but that doesn't make my shelter dog any less fantastic. By herding or 'something of the like' I meant a job like dog sports. Perhaps I should have been more specific. However for a regular house pet there is no reason a border collie mix isn't just as great as a purebred if it's personality will work with your family. Even if Lyka isn't pure bred border collie she still acts like one, which is good enough for me.

However don't forget there are plenty of mix breeds that do very well in agility and dog sports as well.

Mid-Atlantic is headquartered by Chestertown MD; Blue Ridge in Virginia (the folks I know are not far from Harrisonburg); and I'm not sure where Carolina is located.

BRBCR has fosters throughout VA, and also into MD. Each dog on the website has a bio which also tells you where it is located - if you want to look for dogs closer to you (i.e. northern VA vs. 4 hrs away in the Roanoke/Blacksburg area).

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE border collies and having a pure border is great, but that doesn't make my shelter dog any less fantastic. By herding or 'something of the like' I meant a job like dog sports. Perhaps I should have been more specific. However for a regular house pet there is no reason a border collie mix isn't just as great as a purebred if it's personality will work with your family. Even if Lyka isn't pure bred border collie she still acts like one, which is good enough for me.

However don't forget there are plenty of mix breeds that do very well in agility and dog sports as well.

Very rare to find a mix or even a non BC competing at the highest level in the UK, and that would be our ambition.

As it happens the only dogs I have done competitive Obedience with have been a BC mix and a hound mix. Both were adopted with agility in mind, the first was OK but had his limitations, the other didn't work out at all.

But both have been pretty good pets. It really does depend on your requirements. I'm really not a dog snob and my dog owning history bears witness to that.

One thing to keep in mind is that you might want to try sheep herding at some point. If you have a working bred dog you would be able to do that. AKC bred and sports bred dogs often don't have enough working instinct for you to do that. It's really exciting to see your dog turn on and then begin to work. Lots of new owners end up buying farms and sheep. Working can really grab you. It's so much fun.

I agree if you want to do serious competition pure working Border collies are the way to go! If you're just looking to have some fun, the right mix will do just fine. :)

After owning a border collie I have learned that I would LOVE to own a farm with sheep for them. For now she will have to settle for herding alpacas and llamas at the in laws...

I agree if you want to do serious competition pure working Border collies are the way to go! If you're just looking to have some fun, the right mix will do just fine. :)

I... don't think that's really true. I mean yes, the right mix will do fine and I support and encourage rescue but mixed puppies are kind of a crap shoot. Yes, even those purebred pups are no sure thing, but honestly? If you want a border collie acting dog, you are not going to be happy with a dog who acts like a golden retriever. So if you really want a border collie who acts like a border collie for ANY reason, you need to go either older puppy/adult, or get a purebred.

KP.jpg

K3.jpg

Border collie looking pup, right? Definitely could be a mix?

13787235864_932d4528da_o.jpg

She grew up to weigh 13lbs and be 11" high. If I had wanted a border collie for any reason, including a running partner or just a pet, I'd have not been happy.

My other mutt was a 20lb fluffy puppy who looked JUST like a leonberger - like leon breeders thought he was one. GSD/LGD mix, definitely GSD. If I'd been up for a giant sweet dog and gotten what I got (which is GSD temperament and drive in a huge package) I'd have had REAL problems. Kylie turned out easier than she could have. Thud? No. No way. No way in HECK would he have worked for someone who needed an easy dog.

I dunno. I love my mixes. Molly is a mix (3/4 BC, 1/4 ACD), but I don't have a problem with someone wanting a purebred dog for any reason, and that includes simply being a pet and having a greater degree of predictability. If they HAVE the flexibility to go for the mix, awesome, and I think pointing that they can be a good option is cool.

I just don't think anyone needs a REASON to want a purebred dog or puppy from a reputable breeder or rescue.

I am considering a mix, but I am leaning more towards the purebred side because I like their high activity level and because I would love to compete in agility with him/her. I also want to be sure what I am getting...I mean, I already have a pet/companion dog, so now I am looking forward to having an active/high energy/sporty dog. If I know what the rescue is mixed with (e.g. border collie/collie mix) I will sort of know how the dog will turn out, but if I have no clue what the dog is mixed with I might end up with a borderhuahua (border collie/chihuahua mix).

I fee like I'm arguing against mixes - I'm not - but knowing the mix is only part of the story. How do you know which characteristics a pup will inherit from which parent?

My collie mix clearly had some GSD in there. Lovely dog in many ways but with some undesirable traits common in both breeds. Skittish and clingy. Probably part nature, part nurture before I got him.

As others have said, if you want to know what you are getting take on a dog past puppyhood.

If you want to improve your chances of getting what you want get a well bred pup from a breeder.

If you take life as it comes and enjoy surprises get a rescue pup.

There is no right answer.

As the owner of a rescue puppy who grew into a great dog and was everything I wanted in a dog I should be advocating getting a rescue, but instead I would agree with the sentiment that if you want to know what you are getting as a puppy find a great breeder. It is what I will be doing next time, like Mum24dog and Root beer all my previous dogs have been rescues, but as my interest in agility has grown I am looking for something much more specific in a partner, and a puppy from a breeder gives me the best chance of finding those characteristics.

I wanted a border collie not a mix and so worked with a breed specific rescue to find a puppy, I noticed that a lot of shelters and all breed rescues call all black and white dogs border collie mixes, I had one as a foster and that dog had no border collie in its DNA.

I do think working with a rescue and getting a young border collie it's personality is known and you can find a match for what you are looking for, it is a great way to get a great dog.

I noticed that a lot of shelters and all breed rescues call all black and white dogs border collie mixes, I had one as a foster and that dog had no border collie in its DNA.

That just burns me, and folks that don't know and believe that those representing the dog are the experts believe it, why would the dog be marketed as a border collie cross if it wasn't??? So wrong, the practice really needs to be stopped, imo.

That just burns me, and folks that don't know and believe that those representing the dog are the experts believe it, why would the dog be marketed as a border collie cross if it wasn't??? So wrong, the practice really needs to be stopped, imo.

A lot of the problem is that people *don't* know - including the people representing the dogs. Sometimes, yes, but a lot of the time they are just regular people who have to make a best guess for paperwork. Puppies in particular are a crap shoot. The good shelters will disclaimer everywhere that it IS just a best guess, but people still run with it.

I've noticed a ton of it too - but conversely I've seen some very obvious border collies passed off as anything BUT, because they were different colors or had smooth coats.

My guess is because they feel the need to call it a "something x" and if it's black and white then border collie is as good a guess as anything. I used to joke that my local shelter had a dartboard covered in dog breeds and that was how they choose what mix the dog was. My GSD/beagle mix was clearly just that, a friend wanted to adopt her but we had already submitted the paperwork, a couple of weeks later he called us up and said he had also adopted a GSD/beagle mix, the dog was clearly a pitbull.

Honestly if you aren't herding sheep or something of the like there is no reason to rule out a rescue pup. Is there a reason you want a pure breed border collie only?

Odd question on a BC site.

It may be an unusual question, but it's one I wish would be asked more often. So many people are set on a purebred border collie for no good reason, and that's what encourages the breeding of Border Collies In Name Only. If you're going for the gold in X sport, and you feel you need a purebred border collie to get there, then that's your reason. If you want a nice companion plus possible sports partner, there is no reason to want a purebred border collie only -- there are plenty of wonderful mixes out there that would fill the bill, and it's a mistake to rule them out.

Eileen - You make me think of my two daughters. Between them, a total of four shelter/rescue dogs have been adopted into their homes. Both girls were looking for a Border Collie type and each of the four dogs were either part Border Collie, looked like they might be a purebred, or have turned out to probably not be anywhere close to a Border Collie. It was the interest in getting a Border Collie that led them to each of these needy dogs who were all listed as either half Border Collie or even all Border Collie (he turned out to not be, at least not much).

But they have all turned out to be great active companion dogs that the girls would never trade for any purebred anything.

It may be an unusual question, but it's one I wish would be asked more often. So many people are set on a purebred border collie for no good reason, and that's what encourages the breeding of Border Collies In Name Only. If you're going for the gold in X sport, and you feel you need a purebred border collie to get there, then that's your reason. If you want a nice companion plus possible sports partner, there is no reason to want a purebred border collie only -- there are plenty of wonderful mixes out there that would fill the bill, and it's a mistake to rule them out.

It's not at all unusual for rescues to get known purebred pups, even entire litters of them. However, they generally don't make it to the web page. They are snatched up by adopters who were already approved and patiently waiting for a puppy.

Again, I would personally consider an adult dog for city life. You can know ahead of time if they are ok with the sights, sounds, smells and chaos of a city. It's not just rescues in this age category. Many trial and working people have adults for sale or adoption that just aren't fitting into their current situation.

Dear Doggers,

I usually recommend rescue. If the OP lives in NYC, she should look at Carol Benjamin's web page. http://clbenjamin.wordpress.com/. Against my recommendation Carol got her first Border Collie - I dunno - 15 years ago? - Carol lives in the village. She and her dog(s) have an active urban life. Donald McCaig

One other drawback to a "could be" or mix as a young puppy is structure. Yes, to a degree a purebred Border Collie, even a well bred puppy, could turn up with an odd angle or three. There are no guarantees.

But you stack the deck in your favor of having a dog whose body will tolerate your chosen sport if you either

a. choose an already grown young dog of the "could be" or mix variety or

b. buy a puppy from 2 sound parents.

Its really a bummer when the dog you get, because you *really* want to do your chosen sport grows up to be unable to do the activity because of bad knees or a wonky front end (or an inappropriate temperament). Most of us don't trade in and have a limit on the number of dogs we can own. And yes you can play for fun and not compete with a dog with crappy structure, but if you enjoy competing then that's a loss.

I noticed that a lot of shelters and all breed rescues call all black and white dogs border collie mixes, I had one as a foster and that dog had no border collie in its DNA.

And it's not even always black & white pups/dogs. I've seen dogs and pups of every color, shape and size -- and clearly not border collies -- being listed as border collie mixes.

why would the dog be marketed as a border collie cross if it wasn't???

Because it's become a very popular and adoptable breed. . . . and they're so smart you don't have to train them dontcha know. :rolleyes:

Not long ago a purebred border collie came in to the local shelter. I offered to foster the dog and/or help get it into a border collie rescue. They declined, saying that they'd be able to adopt him out quickly.

Fortunately I have a friend with border collie experience who was looking for a dog and got her in there to adopt him before he ended up being adopted out to an inappropriate home. Good thing, too, as he's by no means an easy dog. He could have been a disaster in the wrong home. :blink:

One other drawback to a "could be" or mix as a young puppy is structure. Yes, to a degree a purebred Border Collie, even a well bred puppy, could turn up with an odd angle or three. There are no guarantees.

But you stack the deck in your favor of having a dog whose body will tolerate your chosen sport if you either

a. choose an already grown young dog of the "could be" or mix variety or

b. buy a puppy from 2 sound parents.

Its really a bummer when the dog you get, because you *really* want to do your chosen sport grows up to be unable to do the activity because of bad knees or a wonky front end (or an inappropriate temperament). Most of us don't trade in and have a limit on the number of dogs we can own. And yes you can play for fun and not compete with a dog with crappy structure, but if you enjoy competing then that's a loss.

I have been thinking about the structure because I do love competing... But, I suppose an active/companion wouldn't be the end of the world. I only currently have one dog, however I'm not sure packing three dogs into a 2,000 sq/ft apt would go over very well :wacko:

I'm not sure packing three dogs into a 2,000 sq/ft apt would go over very well :wacko:

Ha! Your apartment is considerably larger than my house (1220 sq. ft.) and I have 3 of my own and another who lives with me approx. 50% of the year. ;)

I do have the luxury of a small but adequate yard.

And I lived in a small house trailer (maybe 700-800 sq. ft.) for a year with 6 dogs.

We had two dogs and a cat in an 8' x 37' trailer, admittedly with a small yard. It's not how big a place is or how many dogs/cats, but what sort of life of you live with them that counts.