BC Boards

Rescue Pups Vs. Breeder Pups

I know there are a lot of variables for this question, but would a rescue BC puppy or a BC puppy from a breeder be better for a first time Border Collie owner? Or, does it not make much of a difference if the dog is well socialized/not aggressive? There are about an equal amount of Border Collie shelters and breeders around my area, so that doesn't make much of a difference. Are your dogs rescues or from a breeder?

-B

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bella, depends on your lifestyle and why / what you want the puppy for. If you want a high drive working puppy to do herding with you might be better off with a puppy from a breeder where you can meet mom and maybe dad and get an idea of what you're getting. If you want a pet, go to a shelter and ask them to help you pick the most laid back pup you can lay your hands on.

Just remember 99% of BC's, whether they come from a breeder or shelter tend to be extreme. BC's are more of a lifestyle than a pet. Read the BC basics tab here for some very good detailed explanation of what you'll likely have to deal with and then decide first, no offense meant, but can you handle a BC? Can you give him the exercise and stimulation he'll need? Unfortunately a lot of BC pups end up in shelters because their owners did not fully realize what the'll be dealing with and then find them too much too handle.

Bella, depends on your lifestyle and why / what you want the puppy for. If you want a high drive working puppy to do herding with you might be better off with a puppy from a breeder where you can meet mom and maybe dad and get an idea of what you're getting. If you want a pet, go to a shelter and ask them to help you pick the most laid back pup you can lay your hands on.

Just remember 99% of BC's, whether they come from a breeder or shelter tend to be extreme. BC's are more of a lifestyle than a pet. Read the BC basics tab here for some very good detailed explanation of what you'll likely have to deal with and then decide first, no offense meant, but can you handle a BC? Can you give him the exercise and stimulation he'll need? Unfortunately a lot of BC pups end up in shelters because their owners did not fully realize what the'll be dealing with and then find them too much too handle.

No offense taken, I do not fully know what I am getting myself into because I have not yet owned a BC yet. I do have experience with Aussies, but I have been told that they tend to be less intense or extreme than a BC, but still similar. I do not really want a pet since I have another dog that is perfect for that. I am more looking for a running, swimming, hiking buddy that my current dog can't give me. I would also be really excited to try agility, but my dog doesn't really 'take' to the sport. I'll see if I can meet some Border Collies in person before I make any decisions, but I will most likely be looking at breeders more than rescues.

There are about an equal amount of Border Collie shelters and breeders around my area, so that doesn't make much of a difference. Are your dogs rescues or from a breeder?

That sounds like a LOT of breeders in your area ... I start to worry that they're not breeding working Border collies, simply pumping out sporter collies or breeding for color or ... anything other than what they should be breeding for. I wouldn't want to support their endeavors with my money. Please read through all of the descriptions of various "Red Flags" to avoid.

In my area I can think of at least two or three reputable Border collie rescues. I can't think of a single breeder of working Border collies in my area. Sure, I know people who may breed a litter every few years, but I can't think of a single "breeder" in my state that I'd recommend.

One of the hardest thing for someone new to Border collies is trying to differentiate between reputable breeders and the other kind. You can search on a lot of threads including "Breeder" in the title, but what we see over and over here is someone asking about someone who registers their dogs with AKC, or someone who doesn't DO anything with their dogs ... no, that's not the sort of breeder we'd recommend. We're not saying that YOU need to go out and buy that farm and those sheep, but you should consider some sort of activity, such as obedience or agility, that will engage its brain. Get a pup, or perhaps better an adult dog, from rescue, rather than supporting an AKC breeder.

If you get a Border collie, plan to sign up for LOTS of obedience classes. It's not that Border collies are slow (they're anything but), but you'll learn how to communicate with your dog, and how to set consistent rules. That will make for a happier household.

I'd also say look into breed specific rescues in your area. A BC rescue will be able to help you pick a young dog whose temperament matches what you are looking for. They will have high drive dogs who were surrendered because the previous owners couldn't manage them and they will also have laid back mellow companions. If you are looking specifically for a puppy I believe rescues get their fair share of those, too. You would want to contact your local rescue ahead of time and get yourself on a waiting list so that when a litter of puppies does become available you're already in the system and ready to adopt! Just a thought!

ETA:

Some places to take a peek!

http://glenhighlandfarm.com

http://www.mabcr.org

...and I just read your description of what you are looking for. I don't think you'll have any problem finding a young, active, gogogo border collie companion at a rescue. :)

How far are you from Glen Highland Farms? If reasonable distance go visit, get to know the people there and the different dogs. You might find the perfect match for you or receive a good reference as to where to find that right pup for you. http://www.glenhighlandfarm.com/

(eta, sorry Camden's Mom, missed that you mentioned the same)

How far are you from Glen Highland Farms? If reasonable distance go visit, get to know the people there and the different dogs. You might find the perfect match for you or receive a good reference as to where to find that right pup for you. http://www.glenhighlandfarm.com/(eta, sorry Camden's Mom, missed that you mentioned the same)

I know this is pretty off topic, but I just read that GHF has 5 border collies from that mill in Indiana with the man that people have been trying to shut down for years. I know it was posted about a few times on these boards. After years of trying, it looks like he finally voluntarily turned over 31 dogs! The inside photos are disgusting. A good example of what not to support. I didnt like how GHF made it sound like this guy was breeding working dogs, he was a puppy mill and his dogs never even went outside to potty, much less work stock. It shows you how if you are set on purchasing a pup, to go and look at the actual dogs, property and meet the people. Anyone can make a nice website and say whatever they want about their "operation".

http://www.glenhighlandfarm.com/sprakersnew.htm#Indiana

The sad part is that he seems to still be in business (allowed a few dogs) and I am sure you could find many happy customers who don't know any better. Same with the Sprakers dogs, people thought they were buying nice working bred pups, and the average person didn't know any better.

Bella, if you are planning to purchase a puppy, maybe tell us what area/regions you are willing to travel to and board members can give suggestions of who to contact. Otherwise, I second the idea of at least going to a place like GHF to spend time with the breed so you have a better idea of what you are getting for the next 15 years. :)

No offense taken, I do not fully know what I am getting myself into because I have not yet owned a BC yet. I do have experience with Aussies, but I have been told that they tend to be less intense or extreme than a BC, but still similar. I do not really want a pet since I have another dog that is perfect for that. I am more looking for a running, swimming, hiking buddy that my current dog can't give me. I would also be really excited to try agility, but my dog doesn't really 'take' to the sport. I'll see if I can meet some Border Collies in person before I make any decisions, but I will most likely be looking at breeders more than rescues.

I would second the suggestion to seriously consider an older (i.e. older than 6-8 months) rescue BC or BC mix. Pups, even from 'good' breeders can be a crap shoot. Some BCs can be quite reactive - which can translate into not being a lot of fun to take into social situations since the dog is stressed and you will be spending your time managing him/her vs. having a fun time. And this is just one example of many reasons why you may want to consider an older (i.e.teenager) rescue vs. a young pup. With a rescue you have a better idea of: dog-friendly?, cat-friendly?, child-friendly?, man-friendly?, coat type?, size?, activity level (couch potato through bouncing off the walls)?, food/toy-motivated?

FWIW, I didn't get the impression from the GHF writeup that these were being bred as working dogs, but that the man breeding them used the fact that they are a "working breed" for keeping them shut up in pens in the barn, or whatever.

FWIW, I didn't get the impression from the GHF writeup that these were being bred as working dogs, but that the man breeding them used the fact that they are a "working breed" for keeping them shut up in pens in the barn, or whatever.

I know from previous write ups Sanders had marketed the dogs as working bred (people must believe it since he was in a rural area) border collies and it just seemed like GHF went with that notion. They did explain though that not all working collies are kept in situations like that.

I have come across many people who think working dogs equals neglected or abused dogs. Maybe I read into GHF statements too much.

Either way, they are a great place for Bella to contact for inquiring about a young dog. They do such a great job matching people with dogs. I would think living in NYC you would want a non reactive, non noise sensitive and confident dog who can handle city life. My boy would not appreciate city living whereas other border collies would do just fine.

The 2nd paragraph on that page, I do not think they intended to imply anything in the first:

"There are many working Border Collies who do not live in homes. They do live in barns, laying on hay. But, those situations in no way look like what went on in Indiana, all explained by the rationale that the breed is a farm dog."

Alchemist wrote: "In my area I can think of at least two or three reputable Border collie rescues. I can't think of a single breeder of working Border collies in my area. Sure, I know people who may breed a litter every few years, but I can't think of a single "breeder" in my state that I'd recommend."

Pretty much the same here, and I'm in upstate NY not in New York City where the OP is. There are a couple good breeders, none producing a lot of litters, but none I know of near NYC.

I know of at least 2 or 3 great border collie rescues that will adopt to good homes in the City.

I can't think of one reputable breeder in the area. Of course, that's dependent on how far afield you define your "area."

I have an Aussie as well as border collies, have been around Aussies as working dogs and pets for years, and I can say with relative authority that they are very different dogs. Both are active, intelligent and fun, but a border collie's brain works on a whole 'nother level.

I would recommend meeting some border collies in person, whether at rescues or at events. If there are a number of breeders in your area, then there should also be sheepdog trials. It would be good to attend some trials and if you want to do agility, then attend some agility matches and talk to the handlers, watch the dogs, get a feel for the breed.

But for a first time person, I would echo the recommendation that you try a rescue first. If you get a rescue that's 6 months to a year or even 2 years old, his personality is know, the rescue will have evaluated him and they'll be able to give you a good feel for who he is, what he's like and what you're liable to run into as his owner.

The thing with being brand new to border collies and taking home a puppy is that you're most likely going to run into a whole progression of behaviors and things that you didn't expect or anticipate. As someone said, a border collie is not "just a dog," it's a lifestyle.

What sort of dogs have you owned in the past?

~ Gloria

There are reputable breeders within a few hours drive of NYC, but there are far more BYBs, puppy farms, etc.

Do you live in the city? If so, I would suggest an adult rescue that is fine with city life. I've seen some BC pups that shut down and did very poorly when they went from a farm to urban life.

There are a couple of Border Collies from MABCR who live in NYC, having very happy and fulfilled lives. Yes, good rescues do place pups/dogs in city homes when they know the home will be the right one. And it can be. Just living with "space to run" or "in the country" does not ever guarantee a good home. It's what you do to enrich your dog's life that makes a good home.

Alchemist wrote: "In my area I can think of at least two or three reputable Border collie rescues. I can't think of a single breeder of working Border collies in my area. Sure, I know people who may breed a litter every few years, but I can't think of a single "breeder" in my state that I'd recommend."

Pretty much the same here, and I'm in upstate NY not in New York City where the OP is. There are a couple good breeders, none producing a lot of litters, but none I know of near NYC.

I know of at least 2 or 3 great border collie rescues that will adopt to good homes in the City.

I can't think of one reputable breeder in the area. Of course, that's dependent on how far afield you define your "area."

I have a six month old BC that I got at nine weeks. This week I have been watching a seven year old Aussie for a friend who is on vacation. I know Aussies and BC are different but this adult dog has been so easy to take care of. I was talking to my adult daughter (who really wants to get a dog ASAP) and I told her to really consider going to a rescue to get her first dog. I love my puppy but she is so exhausting!

All mine up to the latest one have been adolescent rescues and I got pretty much what I expected.

This time for personal reasons I won't go into again I decided that a pup would be the best fit.

Whilst I could have got a rescue pup I needed to know that a pup would actually turn into a full BC as I know too many people who thought that's what they were getting from a rescue and got something different. At a different stage of my life that wouldn't have mattered to me but it does this time.

I also needed to know something about the likely temperament of a pup. Training can only go so far and good raw material is important if your requirements are specific.

So this time I bit the bullet and bought a pup from a working breeder I know pays a lot of heed to temperament in breeding. So far so good.

Would I buy again? Maybe not, but not because I'm not happy with my pup. My first consideration will be what will fit best when the time comes.

I probably shouldn't have said "in my area" as that is a bit deceiving. I should have said that I am willing to take a week or two to drive somewhere for the right dog. I have driven up and down the east coast just recently with my family for about two weeks and I know that I would definitely do it again especially if I was choosing the right dog. My goal is to find a dog that will suit my lifestyle and that loves to run and play, so if that means driving for a couple days to find that dog its okay with me and I am willing to do it.

So this time I bit the bullet and bought a pup from a working breeder I know pays a lot of heed to temperament in breeding. So far so good.

Would I buy again? Maybe not, but not because I'm not happy with my pup. My first consideration will be what will fit best when the time comes.

That has been my experience, as well.

I couldn't be happier with my very well bred Border Collie puppy. Raising him has been a delight that has been unequaled in any dog I've owned yet in many ways. I honestly can't believe how lovely his temperament is, and his natural ability to channel his energy without becoming frenetic at his age is astonishing to me.

That said, I can see very clearly at times where someone who doesn't have previous experience with the breed might have run into problems that I haven't. I find that I can generally recognize when something will work itself out and when something needs to be addressed. So, I wouldn't say he's a point and shoot dog, but what's there in him by nature . . . WOW!!!

But that doesn't mean I would never rescue an unknown again and love every second of it. I can see that happening when the time and situation is right.

Whilst I could have got a rescue pup I needed to know that a pup would actually turn into a full BC as I know too many people who thought that's what they were getting from a rescue and got something different.

Hahaha - that can even happen with a full grown rescue. I never thought anything but that Tessa was a Border Collie until she had lived in my house for several months. And even though I realize that she probably isn't, most people don't believe me when I say that!!

And as much as I love her and consider her perfect, this time I wanted a full Border Collie - no doubts!! And that was part of my motivation for going the breeder route this time.

Honestly if you aren't herding sheep or something of the like there is no reason to rule out a rescue pup. Is there a reason you want a pure breed border collie only?

I don't know if your area does anything like this, but my local shelters both do a program called spay momma. This program is where if you bring in a litter of puppies they will spay the mom and take the puppies off your hands at no charge. The puppies from those litters you will usually know what the mom is, which is how I got Lyka. I only know she is a minimum of half border collie.

It can also be kind of fun to get a dog that maybe looks like a border collie but acts like a golden retriever.

That said, I can see very clearly at times where someone who doesn't have previous experience with the breed might have run into problems that I haven't. I find that I can generally recognize when something will work itself out and when something needs to be addressed. So, I wouldn't say he's a point and shoot dog, but what's there in him by nature . . . WOW!!!

I know just what you mean. All dogs benefit from consistency but having had a BC before underlines how very important it is for the breed and what you get in return.

The way I am bringing up this pup is based on trying to avoid the numerous mistakes I have made in the past with all my dogs, not just the BC. BCs are less forgiving of our mistakes than other dogs, I find, so we need to be on top of our game.

One thing I'm pretty sure of is that I will probably lose in a confrontational battle of wills so I have to be cleverer than that.