BC Boards

Puppy embarrassments!

I would love to hear stories of what your puppy did that embarrassed you. Usually it is something you can laugh at after the fact, but in the moment, it is mortifying/embarrassing.

Today, Kiefer went with us for brunch at a restaurant with an outdoor patio. He peed before he was loaded in the car (at least that is what DH said since he was in charge of making sure he peed), then a 25 minute drive before sitting down at an outside table. Kiefer was on a leash and was very well-behaved with a few reinforcing treats. Then after 5 minutes, I looked at him and he was peeing on the concrete patio about 2 feet from our table. And a very long pee. He hadn't given any signal - usually he will whine when he needs to go outside at the house. All I could do was let him finish peeing (didn't think that grabbing him up or saying 'NO' would help the situation). Then went to get paper towels and a plastic bag from the waitress.

Then I remember a time when Torque (now 7 years) was in puppy class. He was a VERY HAPPY puppy and loved to to get attention from anyone. The instructor was playing with him, and he had rolled over to get his belly rubbed. He was so excited that he peed while upside down - peeing directly on the instructor's shirt.

Oh well, they keep us humble.

Feist pooped while I was in line to check out at petco, that was a pretty good one. No warning, just was looking around, looked down at her and tada!

Another one, I had her in a park at 11 weeks old, and she was playing a little with a man's beagle. He exclaimed at how cute she was, yada yada. They went to go on with their walk, and Feist didn't want it to end so she began to follow. I fetched her away from the beagle, grabbing her by the collar. She flipped on her back and gnawed on my hand making gremlin sounds as I dragged her away, trying to pretend it wasn't happening and smiling cheerfully at the beagle's owner.

LOL!

Great Uncle Flyboy was a member of my dog sledding team. He was the only dog who would go to the bathroom without stopping. In other words, he left yellow snow and poop bombs along the trails. :rolleyes:

I've noticed some interesting traits get passed down through the generations. Anyone who says behavior isn't genetic is nuts.

We took very, very young Speedy with us when we went looking at houses the day we found the house we live in now. We nicely asked the realtor if he could sit with us in the room when we filled out the papers to make our offer and he let us. He stepped out of the room at one point and I turned around to find Speedy silently tearing up one of those giant houseplants they have in those kinds of offices!!!

We were pretty mortified!!

"Not in the water! Not in the water!"

:unsure: NO might have worked better, but I wasn't thinking very quickly at that moment.

Last weekend we went to the Oregon Coast and enjoyed what might be the last of our beautiful summer weather. I was knee deep in the waves and turned around to find Rocket pooping next to me. These big poop logs went floating right towards the kids playing a little deeper than us. Another very helpful dad let out the shrill warning "LOOK OUT!" as I quickly walked away, stepping on a poop log myself in my haste to pull the pup out of the water, although very much too late. At least I want to imagine that the one I stepped on broke up and disappeared a little faster than the rest. Maybe that helped? After all, what is a person to do in the waves of the tide? Chase the soggy poop down as it rolled wildly in and out with the waves? *sigh*

At that moment Rocket's leash pulled out of my hands and I had to chase him even farther away from the location of the crime. :) Really, that wasn't intentional. It was the unfortunate side effect of being flustered.

One of my Berners was a very curious puppy and when she was about 6 months old I had to take her with me while I visited the tenant of a rental property. Normally I would leave them in the truck but it was REALLY hot and she was very young and long haired and I was not really sure how long it might take, so I took her in with me - all nicely leashed.

A few minutes into the visit, the puppy is getting restless and the tenant *insisted* I let her wander around, that there was nothing so dear that she minded a puppy sniffing at it, etc. I objected and the puppy upped the ante by starting a little dueling howls with herself. So, I gave in, unleashed her and off she went to investigate.

A few moments later she came tearing out of a room with a ... um ... sex toy ... clamped firmly in her jaws, heading for the balcony doors, smelling fresh air and freedom. Both of us reacted with horror, both lunged at the dog - all training etiquette forgotten in the chaos - and the dog made it to the patio doors. Up and over the little railing and around and around the pool she went. Two or three times she dropped it and went back to retrieve it, once she tried to get some nice old man to play with her with it - thankfully we got to her before she got to the little gaggle of youngish children coming to see what the fuss was about. Pretty sure she would have thought a little fetch was a fine idea.

Worst part was that when I caught the dog - there I was, standing with a large six month old puppy with a sex toy sticking out of both sides of her mouth - in a very public place. I was NOT going to grab the thing, I was NOT going to lead her anywhere while she was carrying it, she was not good then (and is not good now) with "drop it". A crowd was gathering.

The tenant caught up, got the item (with a little game of tug thrown in for good measure, the dog knew when she was in the catbird seat) and I tried very hard not to think about it as the dog panted in my ear all the way home.

Still makes me laugh and shudder, all at the same time.

Still makes me laugh and shudder, all at the same time.

Yeah, I bet!!

Thank God, my worst was that when Gideon was a pup, he was a submissive wetter. People would come up and ask if they could pet my puppy and I would explain that he would pee on their shoes if they did. They always thought they would be the ones who could keep out of the way of his stream. They were wrong, and I was only mildly embarassed. I did warn them.

It's FAR more embarrassing when your 10-yr-old, nearly perfect dog poops on your friend's kitchen floor... for no other reason than he was too distracted by a new yard to poop outside. Same dog who routinely poops on the sidewalk. And who once lost his sheep because he stopped to poop halfway through a cross drive. For Nick, when the need hits, he just stops & lets loose. :blink:

It's FAR more embarrassing when your 10-yr-old, nearly perfect dog poops on your friend's kitchen floor... for no other reason than he was too distracted by a new yard to poop outside. Same dog who routinely poops on the sidewalk. And who once lost his sheep because he stopped to poop halfway through a cross drive. For Nick, when the need hits, he just stops & lets loose. :blink:

I think Nick is related to my dearly departed Miniature Schnauzer. That little dog never could figure out the correct time to go potty! I loved her dearly but didn't trust her in public.....ever!

When Jasper hit puberty he suddenly became hyper aware of females. He would spontaneously urinate as soon as he figured out another dog was a girl. He didn't even squat or lift anything...he would be walking along and the pee would just come out.

I ended up carrying paper towels around in my pocket all the time and made him wear a belly band anytime we were not home and indoors somewhere.

Luckily that passed!