BC Boards

Training weekend!

KrisK

We are heading to the breeders' farm this weekend for some training for Flint - well, probably more for me :) He has turned onto the sheep at home and I can't wait to get him well started.

I'll be given a 'trained' dog to practice with and there will be plenty of sheep for Flint to work with. This is a working sheep farm so I'm looking forward to a good deal of 'hands on'.

It's a long trip - 6 hours one way but it's well worth it - I'm getting to stay at a rustic cabin in the woods at another farm (where Flint's mom now lives) - and a weekend of no electricity, etc and sheepdog training will be a much needed break from the tedium of office work :)

I have a non-sheep dog friend travelling with me and she has offered to do the 'video' work :)

all in all, this should be a great weekend...humbling for me, I'm sure - but awesome for Flint!

What a great weekend - the weather was marginal but I was more than impressed with Flint. On Saturday, he worked with the sheep in a fairly large pen. However, it was difficult because it was so muddy! Flint is mostly an 'away' dog - tending to go right more than left. On Sunday, he was worked in a much larger field and he was already starting to change direction and showing a great deal of enthusiasm for the job. He was kind to the sheep and that was nice to see. He didn't seem to get frustrated. Since my sheep are Shetlands and more than flighty, I've decided to invest in some runner ducks to at the very least continue with some training. I hope to get down there at least once more before the winter hits. The videos I managed to get are marginal - I'll have to figure out how to post them here.

The cabin in the woods was as perfect as can be - it was quiet and quaint. We had a marvellous dinner with our hosts and a great night away from all the technology that interferes with life.

All in all....as near to perfect as you can get :)