BC Boards

coyote

HJTRAS

Had the dogs out tonight Ziggy our BC ran circles and closed the gap with the other dogs to get them close to us they all followed her lead then we realized a pack of coyote where closing in as the calls became louder and louder . She reacted before we even heard it. all the dogs happy to follow her lead to the house. She is only a puppy 7 months yet she is taking a pack leader role. She is really small maybe 30 lbs but she has controlled and set straight our 135 lb labmix and the female rotti mix has had ziggy in her face,. The little vicious terrier mix has had the fear of god put into him by her. Her intelligents and instincts that the pack is learning from and respect to a puppy wow. Its the instincts that shocks you even as puppy. The other three Dogs are mixed breeds. Ziggy has an aggressive snooty nature but they all are on good terms.

Tonight they all looked up to her instincts as my wife and I.

We have both coyotes and mountain lions in our area. The guard dogs are generally on that and head anything off / kill anything that gets too close but now and then a wily coyote (heh) will get by the outlying sentries and closer in towards the farm. Every BC in the general vicinity goes on high alert - phones start ringing and guard dogs are called in.

The guard dogs work in a specific zone which does not really overlap with the stockdog zone (they tend not to get along terribly well, actually) and the BC tend to take it as something of an insult when they are kept inside while the guard dogs do their work.

Sad to say my friends dog, one of those small dogs that is popular these days, was carried away by a coyote last Sunday. My friend's wife was watching from the kitchen window but couldn't get outside in time to do anything.

I live in a small town just outside Toronto and there isn't a lot of stock work going on around here that I know of. so it is always a treat to hear stories about border collies in their home environment. That Ziggy must be some dog! I often wonder how my Juno would do in her natural setting rather than trying to walk on a leash with me.

Bill

My sister had a coyote that killed and partially ate her neighbor's Westie. It was against the law to shoot it, so everyone had to keep all pets inside for weeks. It would just sit in her yard! Finally, animal control killed it as it threatened a young child. Scarey. She's in Massachusetts, here in GA, guns would be a-blazin'!

I know that there are coyotes in our area. But all we have seen, in that category, are the grey and red fox families. One red fox is so big and gangly, that some think it's a coyote. But it has the white (well, rather dingy light grey) tip to its tail, not the black of the coyotes.

However, we have, it seems, a black bear stroll through. We have 1-acre lots and lots of wood around (until the townhomes behind the house across from us get built). Yesterday morning, we found a very large, coal-black poop in the middle of the street out front. When we tried to clean it up, it broke apart - with lots of persimmon seeds. Both the internet and our hunter neighbor (he befiends the local deer and fox and possums and raccoons---hunts only strangers) said it sounded like bear poop. And the internet has lots of photos that look like it. Must have been a youngster passing through.

We've had coyotes come over the fence and make off with most of our hens in the past. The dogs (previous generation) were indoors that night, and made nary a peep about it until first ight, when it was too late.

We don't let the little terrier mutt out by herself as it starts getting dark. Golan is learning if she goes out, he goes with her; and she doesn't come in until she is with him. I hope that the two of them would enough ruckus together that we would respond quickly. I think Golan is big enough now (45 lbs) that the coyotes would probably rather leave him alone in favor of smaller prey.

During the day we don't see the coyotes this far into town, so I don't worry. I've never seen a big cat in this area, except for in the mountains above town; but one did come down last year according to the papers. Our previous generation (the Lab and the sled dog mix) chased one briefly up in the mountains. Had my heart in my mouth at that point.

My sister had a coyote that killed and partially ate her neighbor's Westie. It was against the law to shoot it, so everyone had to keep all pets inside for weeks. It would just sit in her yard! Finally, animal control killed it as it threatened a young child. Scarey. She's in Massachusetts, here in GA, guns would be a-blazin'!

There are times when the 3 Ss [sSS] need to be practiced.

Shoot, Shovel and Shut up.