BC Boards

Best place to get clipped?

at 17 months now, Sammy will soon be going to the vet to get tutored (at least that's what I've told him) :)

I was planning to take him to the clinic I normally take him to for his scheduled (and sometimes unscheduled) visits but recently spoke with a person who recommended this spay and neuter clinic that does nothing more than that and vaccinations. She went on about how the doctor performs so many of these and how that makes him so skilled at it. I checked the yelp reviews and they were all very glowing. Also, since this is all they do they are able to keep the cost low, about half what I would pay at our usual clinic (although the cost savings isn't the determining factor here).

Anyway I haven't yet decided which place to take him to so still have scheduled it yet but wanted to get some feedback, a veterinary clinic of just a spay and neuter clinic?

Unless there is a large price differential or money is pretty tight, I tend to like to give the business to my regular vet since they're the one I've established a relationship with and they're the one who will be there when my dog *needs* something. But we used a low cost clinic to have barn cats spayed/neutered (lovely stray cat showed up and presented us with 3 kittens a few months later...) and they did an excellent job and we were impressed with the clinic set up.

I agree with giving my business (and $$) to my regular vet, but if money is tight, a low-cost spay/neuter clinic MAY be a good alternative.

You say they get good reviews. That is a positive. I used a low-cost speuter clinic for a foster dog and was pleased. But that was 2 years ago, and I just heard that they have had quite a few complaints recently.

Another thing to consider is: do they keep the dog overnight after the surgery. The speuter clinic required me to pick up the dog the same day, whereas my vet will keep the dog overnight for monitoring - one of the reasons for a higher price.

Be aware that low cost clinics often skimp on anesthetic monitoring, safer drugs, higher quality surgery supplies and pain control. Many of the pets going there are owned by people who are lax with vaccines, parasite control and training. Your dog could be exposed to infectious diseases, parasites and aggressive dogs.

If your dog has complications, you will have to pay your regular vet to treat them. Generally, complications are treated at cost (you pay cost of supplies only) if your vet did the surgery. If someone else did the surgery, you pay full price.

The skill of the surgeon could be top notch, but consider the above before scheduling at the low cost clinic.

It may be the Canadian in me, but I consider it honorable to give the vet who has spent all the time with me answering questions and getting to know my dogs, bandaging this leg or that tail for free "while I was there", taking my calls and answering my emails to have earned the right to all my business (in the absence of a legitimate reason related to the animal's well being).

A vet who has a relationship with you/your animal has a vested interest in your continued well being, happiness and satisfaction. Spaying/neutering happens just the once - no repeat business with that animal - and no reason to go out of the way to ensure your satisfaction.

It's a big deal for a dog to go to a vet and I prefer my dogs go to a familiar place, if possible, and see familiar faces, if possible.

YMMV - but good luck with the procedure in any case :)

I have taken foster dogs to the local spay/neuter clinic and the dogs have no issues, the staff were nice and gentle with the dogs but I would take my own dogs to my regular vet as it all felt a little like a production facility and I would rather my dog be cared for by the people that know who I am. Liz would know but I would assume that general practise vets perform spay/neuter on a very regular basis.

Just one question - do those who prefer to give their business to their regular vet never buy meds cheaper on line or elsewhere?

I used to get everything from my vet when I only had 2 dogs knowing that my paying a higher price for those helped my vet keep other costs down, but when numbers of dogs crept up I could no longer justify it, particularly as they didn't often need to see the vet.

As for keeping a dog overnight after neutering, why if there are no concerns? Is it sometimes perhaps that if there is a problem it can mean a long journey to get the dog back to the vet?

My vet is only 5 mins away.

Just one question - do those who prefer to give their business to their regular vet never buy meds cheaper on line or elsewhere?

Only rarely and usually when my vet says "Gee, this medication is expensive. You may want to look around for a cheaper price."

I really want my money, even if it is a bit extra, to go to him. Last week on Thursday, I thought I might need to put my Sheltie down. My vet was watching for me at the time of our appointment and met me at my car. He and his staff were beyond wonderful to my old girl and me at a very stressful time. Happily, Sassy went home with me. The vet suggested we try her on a new supplement but it wouldn't arrive for several days. So Sassy could start right away on it, one of the staff dropped off samples from her own stash at my house the next day because I wouldn't be home until after they closed on Friday.

Their caring and concern were incredible. As a small thank you, I brought them very fancy truffles when I went back this week to get the supplement.

Heck, yes, I want my money going to my vet as much as possible.

Only rarely and usually when my vet says "Gee, this medication is expensive. You may want to look around for a cheaper price."

How about routine parasite treatments?

My vet admits that she can't buy such things for the price I pay on line because of the economy of scale.

I'm loyal to my vet but not a masochist. I may pay a bit over the odds but not several times the on line price.

Would I go to a cut price neuter organisation? Probably not because my vet is not particularly expensive and I know I can trust the practice.

How about routine parasite treatments?

My vet admits that she can't buy such things for the price I pay on line because of the economy of scale.

I'm loyal to my vet but not a masochist. I may pay a bit over the odds but not several times the on line price.

I am leery of on line meds. I don't consider myself a masochist and yes I buy flea control/heartworm preventative from my vet.

I buy everything from my vet because I believe that cutting out the "profitable" aspects will harm his/her practice and, in the end, my animals.

I was married to a veterinarian for 32 years (RIP) and I can tell you, we weren't rich, despite the practice being, by all accounts, successful. Not to paint a picture of poverty, because that was not the case either, but it is not a business one goes into for the high rate of profit and return :)

I am not rich but saving a few dollars is not that important to me. I also take my vehicles to the same mechanic - even when a Mr. Lube trip would do and so on. I find ways to economize that do not make me feel as if I have placed money over *earned* loyalty.

Heck, through all of Molly's crazy stuff, when I was consulting with three other vets, I insisted it all be routed through my vet ... I want someone who understands things to have ALL the information because I am not qualified to make sense of it as a whole.

It's the Walmart mentality, I suppose - and can't be helped. I realize I am a walking anachronism.

/steps off soapbox :/

I used to get everything from my vet when I only had 2 dogs knowing that my paying a higher price for those helped my vet keep other costs down, but when numbers of dogs crept up I could no longer justify it, particularly as they didn't often need to see the vet.

As for keeping a dog overnight after neutering, why if there are no concerns? Is it sometimes perhaps that if there is a problem it can mean a long journey to get the dog back to the vet?

My vet is only 5 mins away.

I have no issues buying preventive or long term medicine from alternatives sources, over the years I spent plenty of money with my vets for antibiotics and other short term drugs. When Brody was sick he was taking a medicine that I could buy online form Drs Foster and Smith for less than she was paying for it.

Regarding an overnight stay, I would rather have my dog home with me and in familiar surroundings than being uncomfortable in a strange place. When we had a foster we were looking for affordable options for heartworm treatment, the cheapest option was a vet that wanted to keep him overnight, neither the rescue or I were happy with that, if he was going to be in pain as my own dog had been from the injection then we wanted him with people he knew.

My vet tells me his % of most meds is very low and therefore he is not offended when I buy elsewhere. He will often attempt to match a price (like recently he sold me a large bottle of Rimadyl for basically what he paid for it since he didn't have to count out any or use one of his pill bottles as a service to me). I also give a couple of meds he doesn't carry that I have to get at a pharmacy.

We talk about it, and he knows I take good care of my pets and wants to help me do that.

I usually buy HW meds elsewhere - my vet hasn't carried generic and it's half the price of the name brand. I also get flea/tick preventative elsewhere. Money is an issue sometimes and I'd prefer to save the money on that stuff and have it to spend on other medical needs. Or my second dog...

Major surgery is a bit different though. I'd prefer someone who I know and trust to take care of surgery and be there if needed afterwards.

My vet has always sent dog home the same day after a spay or neuter - they don't have anybody to monitor a dog overnight so I'd prefer to bring them home anyway.

I guess I'll be the "bad guy" and say, yes, I have used low cost clinics and would again. I also spend a boatload of money at my regular vet, so I have no guilt feelings using a low cost clinic if it means I can afford to get a procedure done that I otherwise couldn't afford.

We have a clinic in our area called "Helping Hands." Their sole purpose is to provide low cost surgeries to people who might otherwise put their pets down for lack of being able to afford surgery. The vet who runs the clinic is well respected; in fact, when I visited my own vet recently, he spoke highly of the clinic and its personnel.

I don't think it's fair to portray all low cost clinics as assembly lines who provide low-cost service by not caring for your pet or by using substandard materials and procedures. The FIRST TIME I was ever given pain meds after a neuter surgery was actually at a spay/neuter clinic for a stray cat I had found. I'm sorry, but scaremongering just strikes me the wrong way and serves no one well.

When I was unemployed, I still managed to take my dog to the oncologist for treatment, and although I had little money, I still kept up with vaccines and parasite control. When my cryptorchid dog needed to be neutered I had it done as a S/N clinic where it cost me less than $100 (IIRC it was $60). They did an awesome job. My regular vet would have wanted somewhere between $600-800 for the same procedure.

So yeah, I use my regular vet as much as I can, but if being able to get something done rests on whether I have to do it at my regular vet or a low-cost place, then I will opt for the low cost place. You could ask any vet I've had and they would tell you that I am a loyal and good customer, but the fact is that we all need to make practical decisions at times because money really doesn't grow on trees.

And FWIW, no matter what the procedure, unless my pet happens to be at an emergency clinic with round-the-clock staff, I see no reason to leave one of my animals overnight after a procedure. If my pet is at home, then *I* can watch it overnight and have the option of getting it vet care should something go wrong.

J.

I typically use my vet for any minor surgeries. Mostly because we had one bad experience at another vet and it soured me on that. That ended with an e-vet trip and my dog having seizures and yeah... not good. I have used my vet for many years, since my shelties were middle aged and they have been gone over 6 years now. He's very kind and knows my dogs and I know he cares about them. He has helped me out many times without asking for payment or waived the exam fee. They offer a lot of blood work and monitoring to make sure the animal is ok being put under and that helps me have some sense of relief. They also remember that my one dog can't be put under with standard drugs. Long story short, I'm just more comfortable with it done there.

I have used the university for some things because it's cheaper on things.

So yeah, I use my regular vet as much as I can, but if being able to get something done rests on whether I have to do it at my regular vet or a low-cost place, then I will opt for the low cost place. You could ask any vet I've had and they would tell you that I am a loyal and good customer, but the fact is that we all need to make practical decisions at times because money really doesn't grow on trees.

That all makes a lot of sense. I think everyone has their own considerations to take into account regarding vet care and that includes number of animals, financial resources and the alternative providers available. I don’t think you are a “bad guy” for taking advantage of a low cost clinic just as I don’t think I am a masochist for throwing as much business as I can reasonably afford to my vet. We are all making the choices that we feel are best for our animals and ourselves.

Thanks to all who have offered their opinions on this (particularly Liz and Julie, you always deliver!)

As for my normal vet clinic; we live in a large suburb and the vet is in the neighborhood. They probably have a rotation of five or six doctors so its uncommon we see the same dr. consecutively. Its a good clinic and they've gotten plenty of my money over the years so I have no guilt about loyalty.

But what caught my attention of the speuter clinic is the dr. (there's only one here) has a pretty solid reputation as a skilled surgeon for spays and neuters. I guess the lower cost is an added bonus. BTW, I did call them and they do require overnight stay and quoted me an even hundred dollars for it. That is significantly lower than what my vet would charge but again its not a cost thing to me, just pointing that out.

I hardly consider bringing up very real and valid concerns that I have first hand, professional experience with to be "scaremongering." The OP wanted all the facts. I was hoping my information would allow the OP to ask their vet and the low cost clinic questions and make an informed decision based on those answers.

Every low cost clinic and every for profit hospital does things a little differently. I work at a hospital that prides itself on the very highest level of medicine. As a result, our services cost more. Not everyone can afford them, and I understand that. Some low cost clinics do an excellent job with the limited resources they have to work with. Others are poorly run and seem to have problems all the time.

My point, Liz, is that you brought up this:

Many of the pets going there are owned by people who are lax with vaccines, parasite control and training. Your dog could be exposed to infectious diseases, parasites and aggressive dogs.

as if those very same things don't occur at "normal" clinics. I worked for a vet who skimped on everything, and he wasn't a low-cost practice. But by your reasoning, he wouldn't have skimped unless he was, because that just doesn't happen at a regular practice.

I worked as a tech at an emergency clinic that skimped on nothing and provided the best of the best when it came to care. And yet we also saw some of the sickest animals, including a steady stream of parvo puppies, among other infectious diseases. I imagine the risk of exposure to disease was as great at that wonderful, top-of-the-line emergency clinic as you claim it is at the low-cost places.

And this quote:

Some low cost clinics do an excellent job with the limited resources they have to work with. Others are poorly run and seem to have problems all the time.

could also apply to any clinic. You are implying that regular practices are always better and that all low-cost practices are skimping, providing sub-standard care, etc., and I think you know that this is stretching the truth (or at least presenting a very one-sided opinion) to try to make a point.

As I noted in my original post, painting an entire segment of the profession with a broad brush is risky, and I'm sorry, but any vet who says stuff like that to me as a means of trying to convince me to use their services instead of the low-cost (or any other) clinic is going to see my back heading out the door.

J.

I have zero interest financially in this discussion and no reason to try to scare the OP into using their regular vet.

My hope would be that vets seeing a lot of infections cases are smart enough to have protocols in place to reduce disease transmission.

No worries Liz, you gave some solid reasons what to watch out for using a spay/neuter vs vet hospital which is precisely the kind of feedback I was looking for. And you being a real life veterinarian doctor makes it all the more valid. Julie gave some good reasons why the speuter gets the nod sometimes for her as well and I greatly appreciate it.

I can't speak for all but will say that I can read between the lines and determine what advice/opinions I should seriously ponder and what I can just take with a grain of salt so no worries scaring anyone off.