BC Boards

Am I doing this wrong?

A little back ground here, I can not walk a straight line to save myself, there for it is next to impossible for Gidget to walk by my side. We try over and over, it ends up with me stepping on her toes or her stepping on my heels. To correct this problem she simply walks in front of me a little bit, not too far but just enough so I am not hitting her back feet with my feet.

In dog class they want us to have our dogs walk at our side with a loose leash, we are to hold a wooden spoon dipped in peanut butter to teach the dog to walk there, this is a mess to say the least. I can not hold that darn spoon, I keep dropping it on her head or her back, leaving little bits of peanut butter dotted all over the poor dear, we physically can not do this task, as my disability almost makes it impossible. We try and try, we both got fed up with this whole thing and are doing it "our way"

My question is, is it so bad that my dog does not walk at my side? Is it a serious issue for her to walk a tiny bit ahead of me? I can call her back to my side at any given moment. I can tell her to sit at any given time, she will sit and stay, I can also call her to come stand in front of me, she will stand sideways at my legs against me tell I tell her ok.

For me, in my mind we have created a system that works for us. I just wonder if this is acceptable? If not does anyone have any suggestions? Poor Gidget has learned how to deal with my silly problems, she is knows my moves, she will even sort of do this little back and forth movement as we walk just to keep me going in the rite direction. It may sound silly but it works for us.

She is doing so awesome with her doggy schooling, she is doing EVERYTHING to perfection! This is not really her fault it is mine, I feel bad about it. But when the day is done, Gidget is mine, and I am hers, We are a team. We need to find a system that works for us not a system that works for the normal able bodied person who can walk a normal speed and walk a straight line. I am more like a snail who tends to sway side to side as I walk. I also need to take into consideration that my knee can give out on me for no reason with no notice, along with some other serious issues I have to deal with in my every day life.

My worry is that she will never pass the Good citizen class if we cant do this task. I would really like to see her achieve that even though it is not a mandatory thing, I would love for her to have that certificate and title.

But when the day is done, Gidget is mine, and I am hers, We are a team. We need to find a system that works for us....

I think you answered your own question with the words I quoted above. It works for you and her, and that's what matters. In the grand scheme a CGC is a very small thing.

J.

I'm surely not the most experienced person here, but my advice would be this: What works for you is what works for you. Ultimately it's you who lives with Gidget, and there's no reason to force a behavior that does not fit your lifestyle. A dog that walks calmly in front of you is very different from a dog pulling and tugging. It's very easy for someone to say what is correct and what is not, but until they've lived in your shoes it's very tough to truly judge.

As far as the Good Citizen test goes, I have never taken one but I imagine they do want a true heel. (Is this for the actual CGC test, or a class?). If they do want that sort of heel, why not teach it as a separate behavior that isn't held constantly? My 6 month old has a very good heel position, but do I want that all the time? No! Lots of behaviors that are 'Correct' may not always be practical. I always hear people saying 'the dog must wait to go out the door after their owner!'. Yes I want a good wait at the door when asked, but there are plenty of times when I'm carrying things or am in a tight space and just want the dog to go through first. You can most certainly teach a heel position (though I'd question the peanut butter on a stick method...) to be maintained when asked, but then Gidget is free to walk ahead of you when you ask.

Gidget is your dog, there's no reason to concern yourself with what's 'right' and 'wrong' in other people's eyes. In my mind Gidget already is a very good citizen in your life, you don't need piece of paper to tell you that.

If you were having issues with Gidget leading you and not payng attention to where you are going, I would suggest you teach her to follow you instead of allowing her to walk in front of you, but it doesn't sound like that is an issue at all. I don't know if the CGC test has changed, but my dog passed it because he walked on a loose leash, not because he held the heel position, so I don't think it should be a problem. Gidget just can't tow you around.

According to CGC requirements:

Test 4: Out for a walk (walking on a loose lead)

This test demonstrates that the handler is in control of the dog. The dog may be on either side of the handler. The dog's position should leave no doubt that the dog is attentive to the handler and is responding to the handler's movements and changes of direction. The dog need not be perfectly aligned with the handler and need not sit when the handler stops. The evaluator may use a pre-plotted course or may direct the handler/dog team by issuing instructions or commands. In either case, there should be a right turn, left turn, and an about turn with at least one stop in between and another at the end. The handler may talk to the dog along the way, praise the dog, or give commands in a normal tone of voice. The handler may sit the dog at the halts if desired. (http://www.akc.org/events/cgc/training_testing.cfm)

So, as long as she's paying attention and responding to you, you should be fine.

If the evaluator won't accommodate your disability, I'd remind her or him of the ADA. :rolleyes:

ETA: I've heard of the peanut-butter-on-a-spoon thing, and for many people it works quite well. But if it's not working for you, by all means do what does work for you. Any trainer who's so inflexible as not to have an alternative to offer isn't a very good trainer, imo.

Thank you all for all your input. I feel much much better now, We will just continue as we have been, I will explain to the teacher what we are doing and why. She has been great so far about finding me little changes that make things work for us, I know she told me that this was extremly important that Gidget can do this. Kimberlie said she will work with her on it this weekend so I won't have to be worried about stepping on her poor toes.

Guide Dogs for the blnd don't walk by their owner's side. They walk out in front. We raised guide dog puppies for years and we taught them to walk a foot or two ahead of us on a loose leash, and to turn right and left and find doors. They were perfectly well behaved and under control but just a bit ahead of us.

I say use what system works for you, especially since you have plans for her to assist you. You could try explaining your reasoning to your instructor so that she will hopefully understand and get on board with helping you train Gidget specifically for your situation and not with the one size fits all approach.

I don't think my Juno is doing as well as your Giget at the walking but I would still like to agree with Kingfisher's suggestion that you separate the heel from the loose leash. When Juno is walking on loose leash anything goes as long as she isn't pulling. Most of the time Juno is good with this but we're not there yet. I do the heeling separately and she is pretty good at that. We sometimes walk for miles. In my opinion, heeling all that way would be unfair to Juno. I would also like to tell you that I wouldn't be able to cope with the peanut butter on a spoon!

Cheers

Bill

Lizabeth, I am a former CGC evaluator. The important thing is that Gidget is on a LOOSE lead and pays attention so that she goes in the direction you are going. Please remember that Petco trainers are trained by Petco and may or may not have ever trained dogs before. They have a manual they go by. You and Gidget should pass the CGC from your description. Also, inform the evaluator of your disability, as the AKC requires that accommodations should be made for this.

Also, in general terms it is NOT necessary for a dog to walk in heel position. This is a competition obedience exercise and not relevant to everyday life.

Best wishes to you both Tuesday night.

Kathy Robbins

We recently passed the CGC it is a very easy test for a well mannered dog to pass, the loose leash walking was just that "loose" there was no requirement for him to walk beside me just that we were connected and he was not pulling. Rievaulxs leash manners suck and we sailed through. I will add my voice to the sentiment that she is your dog and the two of you can work out what suits the both of you, personally I have never taught a dog to heel because I have no use of it, but as an example all my dogs could down and stay at a distance because I think that is a useful life skill.

With all your input and reading the link someone (I forget who posted it thank you) We are not going to worry about where she walks, I do have her trained to walk on a loose leash, I also have her trained to walk "2 steps" or "3 steps" and stop My girl can count!! I also do have her at times do a slight tension on the leash with a command, many times for us having a very slight pull on the leash is needed for me, again we have a command for this. So all and all I am dealing with one awesome smart dog here. I do not ever ever let her pull, she knows this, her pulling or tugging on a leash can and will cause me great harm.

I am currently suffering from a huge mistake that I made the other day, we were finished training, I took her favorite toy and threw it for her a few times, well silly me threw it a little bit too far, she ran after it on a long lead but it was out of range, I saw it coming thought about dropping the leash but naturally I would never do that, so yup you guessed it! One big yank on that leash sent my neck into spasms! So we had to go back to work, 2 steps, 3 steps, all the way home, sitting on the curb now and then all the way home. She never pulled, never tugged just walked nice and slow in front of me. Later that evening 2 neighbor ladies came to talk to me about Gidget. They said when I first started all this they would watch from the one ladies house, thinking I was never going to get that dog to cooperate, over the last few days they have been so impressed with our progress that they just had to come over and tell me what an awesome dog I had and congratulated me for never giving up, always keeping calm, never yelling at her or hitting her. I thanked them but also was a bit surprised at the comment that they were impressed on how I keep calm never "smacking" my dog. I guess some people do that but I would never dream of such a thing.

Our goal is to walk all the way to the library, get me a library card, sit down in said library, and checking out books with no issues. One day this will happen! But we will not attempt it just yet.

I 100% agree with Gideon's Girl!!!!

As a Professional Dog Trainer, I left (not named) my job as a Trainer due to rigid "rules". I now do Private In Home Training, and I am my own boss so to speak.

I left because , I KNEW not every dog or their person learn at the same pace and the same instruction may not apply to all. Now I am able to "tweak" training to accommodate dog and person as necessary. I am flexible for both.

I personally do not feel a dog NEEDS to be right at your side, so long as she/he is not pulling you, or rushing you. Heeling is only for competition as far as I am concerned. As for CGC....if I were testing for that in your case....I WOULD BE FLEXIBLE! period and so should ANY Trainer worth their title!!!!

Have you approached the Trainer and spoke with her/him personally about this? may be worth a try?

Gidget sounds like a well behaved little dog who is your best friend! IT REALLY IS ALL ABOUT YOU 2 !

I have not been able to go talk to the trainer, my daughter has been using both my phone and my truck! If I don't get there before Tuesday, I will see her then for class. I have a feeling from all the information i am getting here that their shouldn't be much of a problem. other then Gidget wont do it quite like the other dogs in class.

I also have issues with maintaining a straight line when walking. Sugarfoot knows this and tracks me with one eye and one ear. To me this is better and smarter than a dog that clings to your leg lusting after peanut-butter. What the others said is true. You guys are taking care of each other. That's more important.

Heck, save your money, and I'll make you up a dandy certificate for "smart-walking, mannerly dog." :) You don't need the AKC to tell you you have a swell, mannerly dog. You already know that! (And they don't deserve it anyway...)

Thank you so much :) today we went for our first official long walk around busy traffic. She did awesome. I would have her sit when people walked past us, just so that she can get used to the idea of all those people as well as all those cars and trucks. I had so many people tell me what a good dog I have! We had to stop for a few breaks along the way, She would sit, stand or lay rite with me just like I want her too. I have her sit at all cross walks, then I tell her to proceed, She is learning direction commands such as "up" and "down" on curbs, "crosswalk stop" "proceed" and my new one that she has caught onto rather quick "right". "left". I am so proud of her I could not care a less at this moment if she ever passes that test. To me she is far far more then what I had hoped or expected, it will be 3 months since she came to me on the 26th. This little girl is Amazing!

I thank you all for your advice and support and encouragement. We both have a new lease on life, from where I am sitting it is looking bright.

I got to class early tonight to speak with the trainer, she said it is fine for Gidget to walk ahead not a worry. So during class when it was our turn to do the walking part, My darling Gidget must have seen all the other dogs walking at the side, maybe she was bummed out because all the other dogs got that stupid peanut butter spoon and I had declined choosing to use my treats instead. She walked rite at my side, far enough so that their was no problem, did it like a pro!

Its like having a child, always having to prove mommy wrong lol. Still for our normal walking, I much would rather her walk a tad ahead of me, it seems to work better, I don't have to turn my head and hurt my neck, I can see her better.

Some dogs just need time to think about a lesson before it sinks in.

Twill, my best working dog, was like that. I'd be trying to teach her something new and it would seem like she just wasn't getting it, so we'd do something she knew to end things on a good note and go home. Next time out she knew perfectly what I'd been trying to teach her the last time.

And it wasn't just me. Jack Knox noticed it at some clinics, too, and then used her as an example of not pushing a dog that didn't seem to be getting it right away too hard and how some dogs just need to think about what they'd learned for a while.

It could have been very frustrating teaching her if I hadn't figured it out. She'd really seem like she was dumber than a box of rocks when I was trying to teach her something new. But I rarely had to repeat a lesson the next time out.

I agree with GentleLake, some dogs just needs time to work out what you want..like human's they need to 'sleep on it'..

, , but I also wonder if your 'real life' excursion along crowded roads helped because it made Gidget appreciate there was an actual practical reason why you wanted her to stay by your side. Some dogs just don't seem to like being schooled much especially if they can't see the point of the exercise, but then the same dog will excel when asked to do some proper work.

You have one smart dog, it's not surprising that you are so proud of her.

I can never figure it out, whether my dog actually likes doing things that have a real purpose ("proper work") or whether it's that I tend to teach those things differently (no treats, just praise or scolding) but my dog seems to learn 'proper work' faster and obey tricks better. Tricks are an absolute pain to teach her, though it's fun, whereas something 'practical' gets picked up faster.

I didn't get a chance to go for a walk with her this morning, it is just too hot today! I know she is wanting to go, I babysit tomorrow so I hope in the evening we can head out for a nice walk. I was getting spoiled with those nice cool days, almost felt like I was back home in Upper Michigan.