BC Boards

Gidget is in the 2nd week of training, so far all is going quite well

We have started out with the basic obedience class, then will move up. So far she is doing fantastic! This week the trainer used Gidget to lay down, she did it no problems! That is one thing I have been struggling with, now its a easy as pie :) It is a bit funny though, a lot of the things we are learning Gidget knows already. That's ok because it never hurts to continue reinforcing them.

She's still growing taller, her fur is still quite short, but feathering out more and more all over her body. Her nose hardly has any pink spots left on it, above her nose is still pinkish like it always has been. Cutest thing her little spots on her white have gotten bigger, and she has a few new ones starting to appear. One of her spots has formed to look like a little heart on her leg.

For now I am having the training through PetCo! We will be using another trainer down the road for the Service dog aspect, have a couple I am looking into, one near the house. Its nice to do it at PetCo for a few reasons, one being poor Gidget has such a hard time walking on those slippery floors in public buildings. I can bring her there any day of the week and just walk around, if a trainer is in house they usually come over and talk to me and give me tips and advice to help her. I had reservations about using them, but I am very happy with all that they do and how they tailor each dogs situation to best suit their needs.

It has been said that they should never judge how Gidget is doing to their dogs, as their are BC"s and then their are dogs lol. Last week the trainer called Gidget Dainty! LOL that cracked me up!! Nothing dainty about this girl shes hell on wheels. They also like to point out how I have a little more difficulty getting her attention, as she is so hyper. Shes doing fantastic! I am so proud of her. We have gone from totally unruly dog to so so on our own, now with this little bit of help, we can honestly say that we have an 89% good puppy dog on our hands! Now that is progress!

Some of the things they are teaching she knows, but it never hurts to reinforce and learn a little more ways to get the end result.

For me the hardest part is that I was told when she tries to get my attention by barking and wining to just ignore it, dont say a word, dont look at her. This is not always so simple to do! Their are times where I can not just ignore it tell it stops. Like at 11 p.m when my neighbors are sleeping and we are out on the sun porch! So I just put her in her crate.

Last night we went on a training walk with her service dog harness. One of the hardest parts of our walk is walking down a street full of dogs of all shapes and sizes. Every house has a barking dog! I usually have to stop a few times to help her out, well last night I just kept saying "Leave it" "yes" over and over again. when we got to the end of the street past all those pesky barking dogs, she did the biggest happy dance I have ever seen! She was so proud of her self! Look mom did you see that? I DID IT! I gave her the biggest hug and kiss for doing so good! Then back to normal we headed home. Even she can see shes doing good! (I do not like to always use treats on her, they really are not much interesting to her most of the times anyway, but what she loves is being told she did a good job with lots of happy pets and a hug! I love it too! When she first came to us we could not even pet her let alone give her a hug. Now she cuddles!

Week 3 They want me to teach Gidget to walk beside me with a loose leash, I am to use a wooden spoon with peanut butter on it and talk to her while she is at my side telling her shes doing good.

The problem is, I can not walk a straight line! I walk all funny and step on her poor little toes, So I have trained her to walk on a loose leash a little bit ahead of me. We are trying so hard to do this side thing, but she gets her feet steped on and naturally she moves a bit ahead of me I cant blame her!!

We are trying so hard to figure out a way to do this, she gets so frustrated, she will just lay down and look at me as if to say, you cant do it so I give up. Also this wooden spoon thing is a problem I keep dropping it on her head or her back, causing her to get little bits of peanut butter all over her by the end. I can't hold that spoon with my darn hands, I have switched to treats, if I drop them at least they roll off her head onto the ground.

Is it so bad that my dog walks a little bit in front of me? We will keep working on it, not going to give up, I hope that she and I find some sort of rhythm to where we can do this without my stepping on her toes.