BC Boards

Pup Getting "Spots"?

About 2 weeks ago I noticed Mia getting a few white hairs on her predominantly black areas, especially on her back. There are quite a few more now, weird that they are longer than the rest of the black coat. Just had her at the Vet this a.m. for her Rabies shot, he said she could get white patches or spots there. Anyone else have this happen with their pup? Would you share photos? Thanks!

post-16471-0-63846800-1406916641_thumb.jpg

It could just be her adult coat coming in. Sometimes their pattern will change slightly as they get older including new white spotting. Lily's ears used to be black, but now the tip of one is turning white. It's hard to get a picture of as she doesn't like holding still.

Thanks. I don't know if she's pure or not. I have a DNA test that's due back in a couple weeks, so hoping to know more about her. She was dumped with litter mates at 9 weeks and taken to a shelter by a nice lady. It's just odd, I have seen white/lighter coat areas on dogs gain "ticking" as they matured, but I have never seen a dark/black area change to white. (?)

My 4 month old had a quarter collar at 6 weeks and a half collar at 10 weeks. At 15 weeks she has nearly a full collar. So, go figure.

Also - her white socks and paws have started to develop dark spots and flecking.

I have only ever heard of it called greyhound spots.

http://doggenetics.co.uk/oddities.html

Utt Oh. Kind of looks similar doesn't it. I sure hope not, heehee, I was told by shelter manager that this dog would be about 35 LBS full grown. I'm getting older, was looking for a smallish/medium sized playmate for my youngest Lab. The 70 pounders are tough to bathe etc. when people are older, ...

Utt Oh. Kind of looks similar doesn't it. I sure hope not, heehee, I was told by shelter manager that this dog would be about 35 LBS full grown. I'm getting older, was looking for a smallish/medium sized playmate for my youngest Lab. The 70 pounders are tough to bathe etc. when people are older, ...

That's why people say puppies are hard to determine what they will be like as an adult, because even pure border collies have a huge range of sizes. Shelter puppies are near impossible to guess an adult size.

Yeah, I know. Me too Cass with the pure breeds, one of my Labs is right at 60, one is 75, (and her dad was just over 100). Ha-nice old lady though with a lifetime of experience, ...hoping she's right that she's smallish. I recently dug up pictures of Sera, (black lab) at 4 months old, she was way bigger than Mia. Fingers Crossed. :-) Kid is sure full of energy, she wore out 2 field labs yesterday, and looks pretty proud of it!

post-16471-0-03962600-1407358537_thumb.jpg

Yeah, I know. Me too Cass with the pure breeds, one of my Labs is right at 60, one is 75, (and her dad was just over 100). Ha-nice old lady though with a lifetime of experience, ...hoping she's right that she's smallish. I recently dug up pictures of Sera, (black lab) at 4 months old, she was way bigger than Mia. Fingers Crossed. :-)

18 w/o Kolt is STILL bigger than the 16 w/o Lab pup on my SAR team. Half of it is his legs, but still! At least the 16 w/o GSD pup is finally bigger than him. For a while it looked like I had a monster Border Collie :blink: