BC Boards

Cooking for dogs?

Simba, I actually enjoyed the history lesson! Thanks! Often times I prefer someone giving me a history lesson versus me having to do the research for everything I want to know :). Now i know I did not research deep enough on this particular subject :).

I tend to use quinoa the most because of the higher protein content (complete) and no gluten, but it must be soaked. Also, I make enough for me to eat :). Millet because it is a more "novel" grain then what is often used, gluten free. In doing an allergy test with my older dog, it showed he had a mild adversion (this is not the correct term :)) to rice, not allergic to but...

Seems easy enough to limit the ingredients to start with and still cook something! There have been times when I have just used greens, pumpkin and a meat. I feel the calcium/phosporous balance is the most important long term, consistent part of making homemade dog food.

Mickif- I much prefer brown rice and oatmeal, so I would be more likely to have them lying around the house. What supplement do you use? What veg do you prefer in it? You damn Americans have waaaay better access to pumpkin than we do- I have to stock up around Halloween and freeze it. Jealous.

I have a love of medical literature of that period so I have wasted waaaay too much time reading it.

GentleLake- 'Regular' was another word the homeopathic doctors used to describe their 'allopathic' opponents, a normal term at the time. Like I said, some people practicing modern medicine accept it, some don't, for others it's an insult against 'the enemy' or is still used in the original 'treating opposite' sense. Look at the search results and who uses it- most of them are naturopaths, osteopaths, homeopaths.

I would argue that he meant the term to be perjorative (or at least overly simplifying) based on his writings about it. The folk medicine at the time was grossly wrong and based on superstition, so he was right to denigrate it, even if his own methods were based on similar ideas.

Mickif, why does quinoa have to be soaked? I've always just rinsed it (with the exception of the stuff that's packaged pre-rinsed) and then boiled.

Inquiring minds want to know . . . thanks.

Simba, I'm not trying to argue this point. It was just interesting to see some very mainstream sources using the term allopathic to refer to themselves, which sounds to me like the term itself has gone pretty mainstream. ;)

Neither am I- I was just trying to point out that there is that lack of consensus, and that loaded history. I find the word interesting too, and it's the very lack of certainty, that ambiguity, about it that makes it so: the fact that it is currently both a perjorative and something that has been owned by the people it was supposed to be used against.

I am going to admit my secret shame now: I always forget to rinse things. Lentils, rice, quinoa, you name it, I haven't rinsed it. Don't tell anyone. ;)

My secrets are safe with you, GentleLake, Mickif, and random lurkers.

I do wonder how much of this is inspired by my dog's sudden issues with food (from being someone who could eat anything smaller than her head without bother), and how much by my recent acquisition of a slow cooker. :D

Edit: Two Labs and Mia- is there any reason for canned peas? Could you substitute frozen or not?

When you ask, what supplement, are you referring to the calcium? If so, I use the seaweed calcium more then I use bone meal. I think there are other companies that carry the seaweed clacium. Approx. usage is a slightly rounded 1 teas, (about 3 grams) per pound of meat for either calciums. I was once told that there are a lot of polluntants in bone meal so I don't use it as often as I used to. Where are you to not have pumpkin handy :)???

I use kale alot since I grow it. I change up the veges depending on availability and price. I tend to use less carrots because of the sugar content, I use broccoli often. Frozen green beans. I will grate an apple and throw that in last as part of the total called for but try not to cook it much. Oh, and I will use eggs as a part of the protein sometimes, if I am a bit short on meat but could not tell you at what %.

Pumpkin is not a big thing in most of Europe, I know a few ex-pats who have to import it. It's available fresh around Halloween, but aside from that you're limited to butternut squash.

I am jealous of your growing kale, I recently killed all of mine. I know she can tolerate eggs, and they are a complete protein source, hmmm....

I appreciate the fact that it uses liver. Sometimes the 'ick' factor wins out over its undoubted healthiness for people.

GentleLake, because my vet suggested I do :) and I also read it somewhere long ago. She talked about something in the outer part that binds minerals.... This has become the thread for research :). A very quick search... it's phytic acid, and even though I am suppose to be working, I'm off to read more on the subject!

My secrets are safe with you, GentleLake, Mickif, and random lurkers.

Perfectly. B)

From what I've read, you wouldn't forget if you forgot to rinse un-rinsed quinoa. It's supposed to be quite bitter.

Mickif, I'll have to look into soaking quinoa . . . or would be happy if you'd share what you find. ;)

Well, compared to how much coconut oil I feed my dogs, the 2 TBSP. in the recipes doesn't seem like much at all :). I guess it's up to you. You might want to ask your vet about coconut oil and pancreatitis. A quick search, my way of research :), shows some who say it is good, some say not. For a simple overview of what coconut oil is, I found this: http://www.organicfacts.net/organic-oils/organic-coconut-oil/health-benefits-of-coconut-oil.html .