BC Boards

training.

Your pup is probably responding to some of the other, nonverbal cues that you use, often unconsiously, when you ask him to sit. The fact that he is sitting before you finish giving the command should not be a problem. I certainly wouldn't try to "slow him down" which will probably just confuse him. Try to pay more attention to your nonverbal cues so you make sure that he's really learning the verbal cue and hand signal that you want.

Well, i'm not using a clicker. What normally happens is, say i'm walking to the area i'm going to do the training, no matter what, he will sit, normally before I say anything. He sit's whenever I stop walking. But I will def. try teaching him down since he's already sitting and work back to a sit from there over a little time. I was tring to get in a few commands before I goto obedience class. Does anyone here know of a place I can find info on obedience classes here in Austin? The place I wanted to go has class on thursdays and my new job had me working that day till 8pm, which is to late for that school. I know Petsmart or Petsco has training, but I'm really unsure about that.

If you have been using treats to introduce a new behavior - make sure that you get the dog used to being rewarded intermittently before you start to fade the treat out. So, if you're teaching him to sit, he initially gets a treat every time you ask him to sit and he complies (of course, he doesn't get a treat if he sits when you don't ask or vice versa). Then, you start giving him one treat for every couple of sits but make sure you make don't make it predictable (so a treat every 2nd, 4th, 3rd, 6th, 2nd, 7th, etc - gradually increasing the number of sits). Also, make sure you keep your treats somewhere the pup can't see them. I keep a couple of kitty treats in a pocket during training so my pup never knows just when she'll get a treat reward or not. Check out a positive puppy training book such as Patricia McConnell's Beginning Family Dog Training (http://www.dogsbestfriendtraining.com) for more information about positive reinforcement training and treat weaning. Try searching these boards for other recommendations on puppy training books. Usually, treat-based training is done when the pup is a little hungry - like just before a meal.

If you aren't using treats period, then you need to use a more desirable reward. Praise and petting feel really good to us but often are not strong enough rewards to teach new behaviors to a young puppy with a short attention span. (I know some dogs will do almost anything for a pat on the head and a "good dog" - I had one of those pups once! - but many pups need a bit more motivation than that.) Try using a particular toy or game like as tug to use as a reward instead.

He seems to know when I dont have a treat in my hand and will not doing anything. I think there might be a few things I need to put more effort into for his training right now. IE: sitting on the couch, he sometimes tries to jump up on me and wants to take a nip at my face or ears, which he gets a very stern "NO" for. It seems alot in these past few days (other then when he's training w/food) is a "no". I know alot of it is him tring to see what he can get away with. I'll def. look up that book and check it out.